OT: OT - The Directions to the Coachella Valley and the Carrot Festival there in

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
For those who have lived in the Buffalo radio market, I just read that long time Buffalo DJ - Jim Santella - has passed away at age 86. He was really big on the local scene when I was much younger and worked for and helped establish some local progressive rock stations and later in life when he was no longer a full time radio personality hosted jazz and blues shows on the local public radio stations. I think it's fair to say that in his early days, he was somewhat of an innovator an pioneer who helped make progressive music radio a reality in Buffalo. As I was a big progressive rock guy back in the which led me to both jazz and blues, I was a frequent listener. Here's the short piece from the Buffalo News:

"Jim Santella, a celebrated DJ whose velvety voice was heard on Buffalo radio in a variety of formats for more than 40 years, died Friday in his Amherst home. He was 86.​
Beginning at the University at Buffalo radio station, WBFO-FM, when he was a student, he played progressive rock at WYSL-FM, country music on WWOL, helped start the 97 Rock format, was program director at WUWU-FM and played jazz on WEBR.​
He also wrote music and theater reviews for The Buffalo News and, with Anthony Chase, started the "Theater Talk" radio feature in 1992.​
Funeral arrangements are incomplete."​

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
My youngest's violin teacher has started a new incentive program for her youth students: practice every day for 30 days, get a reward. The first month, she took them all out to ice cream. Tomorrow, she's rented a movie theater and is going to do a private showing of Spirited Away. I'm blown away, and actually excited. Spirited Away is such a good movie, and I've never seen it on the big screen.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Today is 'family field trip' so the girls have to choose between Nang Nooch tropical gardens elephant sanctuary to see the @sabremike special the new born elephant. Or we do the @brian_griffin special, the Sanctuary of Truth to see the ongoing museum made completely from wood.

image2-87-696x473.jpg

Reactions: Ehran and sabremike

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
For those who have lived in the Buffalo radio market, I just read that long time Buffalo DJ - Jim Santella - has passed away at age 86. He was really big on the local scene when I was much younger and worked for and helped establish some local progressive rock stations and later in life when he was no longer a full time radio personality hosted jazz and blues shows on the local public radio stations. I think it's fair to say that in his early days, he was somewhat of an innovator an pioneer who helped make progressive music radio a reality in Buffalo. As I was a big progressive rock guy back in the which led me to both jazz and blues, I was a frequent listener. Here's the short piece from the Buffalo News:

"Jim Santella, a celebrated DJ whose velvety voice was heard on Buffalo radio in a variety of formats for more than 40 years, died Friday in his Amherst home. He was 86.​
Beginning at the University at Buffalo radio station, WBFO-FM, when he was a student, he played progressive rock at WYSL-FM, country music on WWOL, helped start the 97 Rock format, was program director at WUWU-FM and played jazz on WEBR.​
He also wrote music and theater reviews for The Buffalo News and, with Anthony Chase, started the "Theater Talk" radio feature in 1992.​
listened to Jim for years. So sorry to hear of his passing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

As a long time listener to his shows, that is sad indeed to hear.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Here are several clips from WUWU-FM and a couple of other outlets from 1983, one featuring Jim Santella.

For those insufficiently decayed to remember, WZIR and WUWU were mind-expanding radio stations back then (as was CFNY from the northern suburbs). A place for stoners and creative types to feel at home.

There's a clip of Gary Storm there as well for anyone who has brain cells that survived that era.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Rough week. Dad got put into comfort care late last week. Took a turn on Wednesday, drove up, came back a bit on Thursday/Friday and got to spend some time with him, but Saturday he really started down his final stretch. I spent something like 14 hours at the hospital on Saturday. Drove back sunday to spend mothers day with the wife and kids as he was stable-ish. Sunday night he turned, and he finally passed away this morning.

Dad was a life long Sabres fan. Went to the first game in 1970, has season tickets the first few years as a college student at UB. Was at Game 6 of the 75 finals. He was much more optimistic for them than I was the past few years (who wasn't though?). We went to a handful of playoff games together, game 3 vs Boston in 99, game 2 vs the Rangers in 07.

Dad got was diagnosed with an extremely rare heart cancer (like, better chances winning a power ball rare. He was something like the 11th documented case in the last 20 years) in September of last year, essentially a cancer that starts in the heart. He had a giant tumor blocking his valve which was slowly killing him. Once they found it was cancer and metastatic, no hospital in western NY would do the surgery because to them, he was already gone. Cleveland Clinic did, however. They got the tumor out and gave him 6 more months, which I am eternally grateful for. We went to the Bills/Eagles game together, got to spend one last thanksgiving and christmas with him. He was limited, but still himself. The cancer was started to get his femur in January so they put in a rod to reinforce it. They started him on experimental cancer medicine and between that and the surgery, It was a slow slide to inevitability.

Just glad he isn't suffering anymore, the last 3 weeks have been tough.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Rough week. Dad got put into comfort care late last week. Took a turn on Wednesday, drove up, came back a bit on Thursday/Friday and got to spend some time with him, but Saturday he really started down his final stretch. I spent something like 14 hours at the hospital on Saturday. Drove back sunday to spend mothers day with the wife and kids as he was stable-ish. Sunday night he turned, and he finally passed away this morning.

Dad was a life long Sabres fan. Went to the first game in 1970, has season tickets the first few years as a college student at UB. Was at Game 6 of the 75 finals. He was much more optimistic for them than I was the past few years (who wasn't though?). We went to a handful of playoff games together, game 3 vs Boston in 99, game 2 vs the Rangers in 07.

Dad got was diagnosed with an extremely rare heart cancer (like, better chances winning a power ball rare. He was something like the 11th documented case in the last 20 years) in September of last year, essentially a cancer that starts in the heart. He had a giant tumor blocking his valve which was slowly killing him. Once they found it was cancer and metastatic, no hospital in western NY would do the surgery because to them, he was already gone. Cleveland Clinic did, however. They got the tumor out and gave him 6 more months, which I am eternally grateful for. We went to the Bills/Eagles game together, got to spend one last thanksgiving and christmas with him. He was limited, but still himself. The cancer was started to get his femur in January so they put in a rod to reinforce it. They started him on experimental cancer medicine and between that and the surgery, It was a slow slide to inevitability.

Cancer sucks. Condolences on your loss, but at least his pain is over

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I'm sorry for your loss.

Reactions: TehDoak

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This is cool for Zach.

He put up 100 points on the season and could lead the nation in Assist/G for the second time in his career. He is currently #1. But, the #2 guy on the list is still playing in the NCAA tournament with Salisbury.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Sorry to hear that.

But as for your son story:

IMG_1151.jpeg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Really sorry to hear about your dad Matt. Thoughts to you and the Mrs. and the little ones and the rest of your family.

Reactions: TehDoak

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

deepest condolences to you and yours Matt. good that you got to spend some quality time with him during his illness.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

Sorry for your loss. Watching someone with that illness waste away is the worst. It's amazing how quickly we adjust to their new normal and the challenges they face even for mundane tasks as the inevitable nears. On the bright side you may have appreciated those extra six months more than any other six month period of time you had with him and those extra memories are some of the ones you will cherish the most.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Sorry to read this. Sounds like you have a great support system at home, though. Take care of yourself.

Also, it sucks seeing these life-long Sabres/Bills fans pass before they win a championship. Maybe he can plead with the hockey gods to cut us some slack?!

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
GNn-Jm2XYAAQ5_9.jpg

GNn-ZXeWkAA5S-n.jpg

GNn-rE7WcAACqGq.jpg

We knew his 24 saves vs Maine Maritime matched the single game high of the goalie Nate replaced. We didn't know he had tied the school's single game record.

And already being in the top 10 in career saves after one season with real playing time isn't bad. And with the school moving to the SUNYAC next season, he will likely get the opportunity to make a lot more saves as long as he stays healthy, keeps working hard, and maintains his spot on the depth chart.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So I just dropped my younger spawn off at her school for what is probably the last time. I will be taking her down to University on June 2 for the beginning of her summer courses. I don’t know if I’ll be the one taking her down there in the middle of August, when fall classes actually start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad