OT: What other Canadian cities could support NBA teams?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Quebec group taking shot at NBA expansion team for Montreal

Group targets NBA expansion team for Montreal

Not the first time this group has been mentioned.

Group seeks investors for Montreal NBA team - Sportsnet.ca

I have a hard time taking this group seriously. In the article above, they announced their intent in the backdrop of the Raptors pre-season game in Montreal in October, very similar to using the Raptors in the NBA finals to garner attention.

My understanding both the organizers of the pre season game and the league we're not pleased by this and doubt they are today.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I'm sure if I trawled the rosters over the years I could find more, but for the Lakers at the very least there was Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Luol Deng.
Howard was actually traded to the Lakers and left via free agency to Houston.

Amare Stoudemire to the Knicks is a perfect example though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Not the first time this group has been mentioned.

Group seeks investors for Montreal NBA team - Sportsnet.ca

I have a hard time taking this group seriously. In the article above, they announced their intent in the backdrop of the Raptors pre-season game in Montreal in October, very similar to using the Raptors in the NBA finals to garner attention.

My understanding both the organizers of the pre season game and the league we're not pleased by this and doubt they are today.

I kinda doubt the NBA wants to add another team to canada (that's if they expand at all) There is bigger money to be had else where (Seattle then the possibility of Mexico city)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The NBA should not only expand to Montreal, they should expand to Virginia, Louisville, Kansas City, Seattle, Las Vegas too. If any league can grow, and not saturate their star laden product, it's the NBA.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
None will be given the chance. And I doubt any other citys potential fans would be interested. Especially if the team was garbage.

I wouldn't take the chance when there are other markets that would be 10x safer.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Vancouver is a much more international city than it was 20 years ago and would seem like a good fit for an NBA team. But I don't see the numbers working.

I expect that an expansion fee would be in the realm of $ 1.5bn USD, the median value of an NBA franchise. That's currently double the Forbes valuation of the Canucks. Meanwhile, all local revenues would be in Canadian dollars but most of the costs would be in USD.

Much like NHL expansion to Quebec City, there's just not a business case right for further professional sports expansion into Canada. Maybe this can be revisited if the Canadian dollar improves.

These are all valid points and the most accurate post in this thread. I think outside of Toronto, there are no other Canadian markets that would really be feasible in the NBA. The main obstacle would be the price of an expansion franchise because unlike the NHL, an NBA franchise would be in the neighborhood of $ 2 billion CAD (based on an estimate of $ 1.5 billion USD for an expansion team). As it is, it would be a challenge financially for Canadian NHL markets (excluding Toronto) if there was no plan in place to help offset the drop in value of the Canadian dollar and none of the existing NHL teams in Canada had to pay $ 2 billion to join the league. That's not to say there wouldn't be fan interest for the NBA but the cost to bring a team would be financially prohibitive for any prospective ownership groups.

:jets

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
These are all valid points and the most accurate post in this thread. I think outside of Toronto, there are no other Canadian markets that would really be feasible in the NBA. The main obstacle would be the price of an expansion franchise because unlike the NHL, an NBA franchise would be in the neighborhood of $ 2 billion CAD (based on an estimate of $ 1.5 billion USD for an expansion team). As it is, it would be a challenge financially for Canadian NHL markets (excluding Toronto) if there was no plan in place to help offset the drop in value of the Canadian dollar and none of the existing NHL teams in Canada had to pay $ 2 billion to join the league. That's not to say there wouldn't be fan interest for the NBA but the cost to bring a team would be financially prohibitive for any prospective ownership groups.

:jets
I doubt NBA would want another bottom Feeder small market franchise in The league would probably be better suited if Memphis and New Orleans Went to Vancouver and Seattle.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I'm frankly more amazed Memphis has an NBA team then Winnipeg having an NHL team. The city as I remember it had an incredibly small corporate base and low average household income. I have heard from people who have visited recently that they charge up the wazoo in restaurants and hotels for additional fees...probably due to the tax base. The NBA lost out on extra revenues moving from vancouver to memphis.

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I'm frankly more amazed Memphis has an NBA team then Winnipeg having an NHL team. The city as I remember it had an incredibly small corporate base and low average household income. I have heard from people who have visited recently that they charge up the wazoo in restaurants and hotels additional fees...probably due to the tax base. The NBA lost out on extra revenues moving from vancouver to memphis.
The NHL Got the best of the Tennessee market the Preds might not be the most valuable team in the nhl but the market has so much more potential than Memphis.

Last edited:

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Most recent NBA commissionnaire interview on a possible expansion in Canada didn't even had Montreal mentioned. It is Toronto for East and possibly Vancouver for West.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/national-adam-silver-nba-commissioner-interview-1.5125897

Very very unlikely NBA would consider Montreal anytime soon.

I'm probably in the minority, but given the population spike in Vancouver that continues to grow, the NBAs desire to expand more into an Asian audience, the amount of wealthy people in Vancouver, and NBA players being much more willing to play in Canada than they did 25 years ago, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Vancouver got another shake at the NBA.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I think Vancouver is a reasonable candidate for an NBA team even with a 1.5 billion price tag. I actually thought it could be closer to $1 billion myself...perhaps somewhere in the middle? It would be lot of scratch for ONE person, but if the NBA is fine with over a little over 50% ownership by one person with a few others involved, I think it would work. There are a few person in the $5 billion range who may have interest. Of course they would have to do their homework-send out questionnaires to various businesses to find out who would be interested in seats, suites, sponsorships with long-term commitments. They would also need to determine what the value of the regional tv deal would be - ideally it would have to be near the NBA average..which is what exactly? Anyone know?

The city is 2.5 million which would place it as approx. the 20 -22 biggest market in the NBA. It's not Seattle - a hopeful expansion candidate - but it is bigger then many other current NBA cities. The Fraser Valley has a total of 3 million, including Vancouver and there are another 750,000 on the island. The arena has been well-maintained and could host an NBA team in relatively short order. The only top - 4 competition is the NHL while the MLS and CFL both require a fraction of the corporate support that MLB and NFL do.

Depending on the ownership requirements and perceived corporate support, I think this would work. It will interesting to see what happens in the 5 - 10 years with regards to expansion.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I don’t think there’s any other city in Canada that could support another NBA team.

Vancouver would be the closest. But honestly, I think they have some socioeconomic issues that would keep the NBA from becoming viable long term. Vancouverites just don’t have the disposable income to attend enough games to make it work IMO.

The beloved Canucks have plenty of empty seats despite being elite just a few years ago and having Elias Petterson this year. There’s just too many entertainment options in the city, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that pro sports isn’t huge in VanCity.

But ultimately, in my opinion, the franchise fee would be way too prohibitive and with the lower CDN dollar, I just don’t think it’ll be viable for any owner to see swathes of empty seats when the inevitable novelty wears off and the team stinks because they can’t afford to be competitive in the toughest conference of the league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even though Boston and Philly are tenants I don’t know if the same setup would work in Vancouver if Aquaman doesn’t own an nba team.

The other side is putting a competitive team on he floor. Vancouver would have issues retaining and signing free agents. Over time if fans don’t see any chance of being a contender their interest likely wanes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver can absolutely work, no doubt in my mind, with all those Chinese immigrants, not only them, Filipinos and of course the locals will watch. I would pay to watch.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I don’t think there’s any other city in Canada that could support another NBA team.

Vancouver would be the closest. But honestly, I think they have some socioeconomic issues that would keep the NBA from becoming viable long term. Vancouverites just don’t have the disposable income to attend enough games to make it work IMO.

The beloved Canucks have plenty of empty seats despite being elite just a few years ago and having Elias Petterson this year. There’s just too many entertainment options in the city, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that pro sports isn’t huge in VanCity.

But ultimately, in my opinion, the franchise fee would be way too prohibitive and with the lower CDN dollar, I just don’t think it’ll be viable for any owner to see swathes of empty seats when the inevitable novelty wears off and the team stinks because they can’t afford to be competitive in the toughest conference of the league.

Vancouver is a top 7 - 10 revenue team (and has been for quite some time) in the NHL despite all those empty seats. Their ticket prices are among the highest in then NHL as well.

If a NBA franchise is viable in places like Milwaukee, New Orleans, Memphis, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City and Cleveland, it would certainly be viable in a place like Vancouver. A few of those places I listed have "socioeconomic issues" as well.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Vancouver is a top 7 - 10 revenue team (and has been for quite some time) in the NHL despite all those empty seats. Their ticket prices are among the highest in then NHL as well.

If a NBA franchise is viable in places like Milwaukee, New Orleans, Memphis, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City and Cleveland, it would certainly be viable in a place like Vancouver. A few of those places I listed have "socioeconomic issues" as well.
Yes, they’re a top revenue CANADIAN team with roots built from the 70’s. A new Grizzlies team that has failed in the past, I wouldn’t be as confident. A new Vancouver franchise would once again enter as a small market team and with a monster salary cap, canadian dollars and a franchise fee that could start with a billion. I’m not sure I see it working out again.

Also, all the cities you’ve listed have no NHL team to compete against, so naturally, with virtually no competition, they’re sitting pretty as the only ticket in town.

There’s been very few new franchises in the NBA that have gone on to do well in this league. It’s a superstar driven league and I’m not sure Vancouverites would be patient enough to sit through years or even decades of mediocrity in a historically tough conference.

Maybe I’m reading the situation wrong, but the Grizzlies did fail in this millennium. It wasn’t that long ago. So I don’t think I’m being out of line in thinking that it might not work out again.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Yes, they’re a top revenue CANADIAN team with roots built from the 70’s. A new Grizzlies team that has failed in the past, I wouldn’t be as confident. A new Vancouver franchise would once again enter as a small market team and with a monster salary cap, canadian dollars and a franchise fee that could start with a billion. I’m not sure I see it working out again.

Also, all the cities you’ve listed have no NHL team to compete against, so naturally, with virtually no competition, they’re sitting pretty as the only ticket in town.

There’s been very few new franchises in the NBA that have gone on to do well in this league. It’s a superstar driven league and I’m not sure Vancouverites would be patient enough to sit through years or even decades of mediocrity in a historically tough conference.

Maybe I’m reading the situation wrong, but the Grizzlies did fail in this millennium. It wasn’t that long ago. So I don’t think I’m being out of line in thinking that it might not work out again.

I personally wouldn't say Vancouver was as much of a failure as some say it was. You simply cant give an expansion team 6 years to evolve a franchise. Memphis struggled at first as well.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
I’d like to see a co ownership of an NBA team between Seattle and Vancouver

22 games each city

No idea on who hosts playoff games TBD

Split the risk for the potential of a cascadia team

Market of 7 million or so with the ability to stretch their fan base to Asia

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I’d like to see a co ownership of an NBA team between Seattle and Vancouver

22 games each city

No idea on who hosts playoff games TBD

Split the risk for the potential of a cascadia team

Market of 7 million or so with the ability to stretch their fan base to Asia
That is never going to happen.

Ever.

If we are talking radical change though, how about NBA expand to 40, and split in to 2 leagues and institute pro rel?
Institute hard cap so no team can stack up superstars and are distributed more evenly. Young talents are not necessarily going to join up on one team because of playing time.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
The way Big Business has been trending is the Less is more model where you simply tighten the supply , build a demand and charge much Retail for the product then you ever did Before

The Bullit train from Vancouver-Seattle-Portland should be up and running within 7-10 years, Imagine,Vancouver to Seattle in 20 minutes!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad