OT: OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 4: Half and Half (7-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Of all those names on that list Cousins was the only one that was a credible starter. And he was drafted and developed by the team. He was more than worthy of at least one contract extension to at least see what he could do once the rest of the team was built up around him.

No draft picks, besides the one used to draft him, were wasted on him. He wasn't another teams castoff or a journeyman QB. And what was the risk to extend him? Cap space, thats it. So what? Look at the situation now. Smith's career is in doubt and he will tie up cap space for another two years.

I never said I thought Cousins was a Manning/Brady/Rodgers level QB. I thought he was a tier or two below that and I still believe that. But whatever tier he is its a tier a team can win with so long as the team around him is sound. Now whether the team around him was ever going to be sound is another debate but it would of been worth finding out considering all the QB names on the jersey above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
What good is a steady 20M/yr guy who can't win?

It would be better than reality which is a 20mil a year QB who's career is probably over and the Skins are stuck with his contract for another 2 years. ;)

Cousins had a 24-23-1 record as a starter. He won 24 games and won more than he lost.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It would be better than reality which is a 20mil a year QB who's career is probably over and the Skins are stuck with his contract for another 2 years. ;)

Cousins had a 24-23-1 record as a starter. He won 24 games and won more than he lost.

.500 football doesn't win championships, and you don't pay a guy top5 money at .500.

His 4th quarter meh-factor has been on full display, even with a full arsenal of weapons this season. He is what he is.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
.500 football doesn't win championships, and you don't pay a guy top5 money at .500.

His 4th quarter meh-factor has been on full display, even with a full arsenal of weapons this season. He is what he is.

Not talking about top 5 money. I am talking about the Skins resigning him after '15. He wanted 20mil a year. The same money the Skins will pay Smith next year when his extension kicks in. Are you saying Cousins in year 5 of Gruden's offense isn't worth 20mil a year?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Of all those names on that list Cousins was the only one that was a credible starter. And he was drafted and developed by the team. He was more than worthy of at least one contract extension to at least see what he could do once the rest of the team was built up around him.

No draft picks, besides the one used to draft him, were wasted on him. He wasn't another teams castoff or a journeyman QB. And what was the risk to extend him? Cap space, thats it. So what? Look at the situation now. Smith's career is in doubt and he will tie up cap space for another two years.

I never said I thought Cousins was a Manning/Brady/Rodgers level QB. I thought he was a tier or two below that and I still believe that. But whatever tier he is its a tier a team can win with so long as the team around him is sound. Now whether the team around him was ever going to be sound is another debate but it would of been worth finding out considering all the QB names on the jersey above.

Can't agree with your first sentence. Brad Johnson was arguably better than Kirk and even if not, he was still a credible starter. He had a 4,000 yard passing season and led them to the playoffs. Mark Brunell was also a decent starter and RGIII was amazing his rookie year, though I agree with your overall premise - this list is depressing.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Cousins is a bad quarterback. It's pretty universally accepted, even on here, that he's a reasonable option and someone you can stay competitive with. I think what I, and others, had angst over was can you build a team around him when he's making $28mm guaranteed per year and taking up 13-15% of your cap. That still remains to be seen, I think?

I guess it all boils down to what your goals are. Kirk is a great option for competitive and respectability on a consistent basis which is a bar this organization has not hit in 20+ years. He makes the team watchable (most of the time). Can you win or compete for a Super Bowl with him, especially given the current roster construction? Doubtful but who knows. Crawl, walk, run... I want them to be consistently watchable before we start discussing trying to win.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Can't agree with your first sentence. Brad Johnson was arguably better than Kirk and even if not, he was still a credible starter. He had a 4,000 yard passing season and led them to the playoffs. Mark Brunell was also a decent starter and RGIII was amazing his rookie year, though I agree with your overall premise - this list is depressing.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Cousins is a bad quarterback. It's pretty universally accepted, even on here, that he's a reasonable option and someone you can stay competitive with. I think what I, and others, had angst over was can you build a team around him when he's making $28mm guaranteed per year and taking up 13-15% of your cap. That still remains to be seen, I think?

I guess it all boils down to what your goals are. Kirk is a great option for competitive and respectability on a consistent basis which is a bar this organization has not hit in 20+ years. He makes the team watchable (most of the time). Can you win or compete for a Super Bowl with him, especially given the current roster construction? Doubtful but who knows. Crawl, walk, run... I want them to be consistently watchable before we start discussing trying to win.

They WERE pretty watchable. Funny you say crawl, walk, run. Cousins had us as least walking. Now, they’re back to quadriplegic status.

A Super Bowl shouldn’t be on the minds of the people who were and apparently still are concerned what $ Cousins could have been playing here for. Learn to crawl, walk, run, sprint. Cousins at $20 would have us in a good spot, but oh well.....we’d rather continue the elusive search for a QB.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They WERE pretty watchable. Funny you say crawl, walk, run. Cousins had us as least walking. Now, they’re back to quadriplegic status.

A Super Bowl shouldn’t be on the minds of the people who were and apparently still are concerned what $ Cousins could have been playing here for. Learn to crawl, walk, run, sprint. Cousins at $20 would have us in a good spot, but oh well.....we’d rather continue the elusive search for a QB.

For sure they were watchable. Honestly I thought they'd be watchable with Alex, or even Colt, as well. But as with everything Redskins, one step forward and 37 steps back. Oh well, back to the time-honored Redskins tradition of checking mock drafts before the final quarter of the season is completed!

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
If anything I'll watch on Sunday (for a bit at least) to see what Johnson can do. At least there is a little bit of a reason to watch.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Yes Johnson was a credible starter and I would put Cousins in the Brad Johnson tier of QB's. And my main argument for Cousins revolves around what he would of taken after '15 which was 20mil a year. What he got with MIN is ridiculous. Also, the Skins were consistently watchable the 3 years Cousins was a starter.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not talking about top 5 money. I am talking about the Skins resigning him after '15. He wanted 20mil a year. The same money the Skins will pay Smith next year when his extension kicks in. Are you saying Cousins in year 5 of Gruden's offense isn't worth 20mil a year?

That's not something we can apply to reality, just like we can't unbreak Smith's leg.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't get why people are convinced we're automatically in for a long QB search if we don't settle for a guy like Kirk. It's like marrying the first person that shows interest in you because you're afraid nothing better will come along. Maybe the same can be said for Smith, but that was probably the better option for the front office because Kirk was not their guy and they were not going to rebuild this season with Gruden's contract coming up.

Look at KC and Cleveland this year. Young QBs can thrive in this league. Hell, Jackson in B-more hasn't been great but he's been good enough and will likely improve, probably pushing Flacco out. Goff is 4th in the league in passing yds and became a star in year 2. Watson in Houston was tearing it up before his injury. Same with Bridgewater. Trubisky has promise as well.

Start looking for the next one of those guys.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If the last almost 30 years isn’t enough evidence to convince you it’s hard to find a credible long term QB, nothing will.

I can’t speak for the rest the NFL, just the idiots in charge here.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If the last 30 years isn’t enough evidence to convince you it’s hard to find a credible long term QB, nothing will.

Other teams can do it. If the problem is this front office, why trust them with anything at all?

Are we thinking Cousins would've negated the team-wide injuries, and bad front office?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yet we can’t. And probably won’t. Believing they will fix it quickly is delusional.

No, you don't bank on a quick fix but you take the best path available. And it's how the league works now. You draft a guy and play him right away these days. If he's good you lucked out. If not you develop him further. Guys don't spend years on the bench anymore.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Saw someone from ESPN pimping a mock draft on twitter just now so I was interested in what current mock drafts have the Skins doing in the 1st round. And yes I know mock drafts now, when the draft order is still far from set, is silly but being a government employee I am bored. ;)

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Raiders pass on QB in first round, land explosive playmaker for Derek Carr

Has the Skins taking Dwayne Haskins at #14. Local kid, and the Skins will need a QB to develop, but The Ohio State doesn't have a very good track record producing NFL QB's. Pass.

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Nick Bosa heads to Raiders at No. 1

This one has the Skins taking MIZZOU QB Drew Lock at #14.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2019-nfl-mock-draft-first-round-predictions

This one has the Skins taking Michigan LB Devin Bush at #14.

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Breaking Down Post-Week 14 Predictions

And this one has the Skins taking Duke QB Daniel Jones at #14.

The mock's are predictably worthless but at least they are having the Skins at least address needs. :laugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Saw someone from ESPN pimping a mock draft on twitter just now so I was interested in what current mock drafts have the Skins doing in the 1st round. And yes I know mock drafts now, when the draft order is still far from set, is silly but being a government employee I am bored. ;)

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Raiders pass on QB in first round, land explosive playmaker for Derek Carr

Has the Skins taking Dwayne Haskins at #14. Local kid, and the Skins will need a QB to develop, but The Ohio State doesn't have a very good track record producing NFL QB's. Pass.

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Nick Bosa heads to Raiders at No. 1

This one has the Skins taking MIZZOU QB Drew Lock at #14.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2019-nfl-mock-draft-first-round-predictions

This one has the Skins taking Michigan LB Devin Bush at #14.

2019 NFL Mock Draft: Breaking Down Post-Week 14 Predictions

And this one has the Skins taking Duke QB Daniel Jones at #14.

The mock's are predictably worthless but at least they are having the Skins at least address needs. :laugh:

I would not reach for a QB in this draft. It's clear the defense still stinks and the only playmakers on offense are consistently hurt. This team is a lot further away from contention than we should be five years into Gruden's tenure.

BPA all the way.

Reactions: kicksavedave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->