Denmark: OT - Visiting København

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So... Me and my SO will be visiting København this summer. What can't we miss?

We don't eat animals but do eat dairy so meat only reataurants don't interest us.

Great places to eat, drink and have fun? The best second hand stores?

oilfan96

Dec 2, 2021
Go to Aarhus instead 😉... But seriously though:

Drink: Bootleggers (bunch of craft beers, free popcorn, not very culturally Danish but it's decent/mid range), Bennis Bar (very Danish, smoking allowed inside so if you don't like that stay away, cheaper beer, younger crowd), Brønnum (upper range cocktail bar). I would also suggest taking a couple drinks at nyhavn... Very touristy though and expensive, but nice view.

Eat: torvehallerne(market with various foods, smørrebrød, Danish delicacies)

Do: Søndermarken park (my fav partk in kbh), Christiania (you can buy weed here but I don't recommend it, still cool to walk through, don't take any pictures on pusher street though. You'll be fine), rent a bike maybe? Bike around? there's also Tivoli theme park right beside central station and I'm not sure if it's open yet but it's cool. Most secondhand stores are pretty bleh in kbh (overpriced and picked over) but I would recommend veras. Alot of other secondhand shops like red Cross and the church stores can be good too, they close on Sunday and early Saturday though so do your shopping then.

Cheers

Reactions: mattihp

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Copenhagen has a large variety of vegetarian and vegan options when it comes to food.

Forside — GRØD is one of the more popular choices, serving pourage of all sorts. All organic and local.

Rent a bike and use it as transport. You can reach most of what you want to see.

If you are into monarchies and history a visit to Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød 40 minutes north of Copenhagen is a must see. It is not Versaille, but it is inspired by it.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I need more!

Good breakfast places?

Best museums?
Depends on what kind of museum you want. The National museum in the center of Copenhagen is a must, also Rosenborg Castle and if you have a little more time, go to the town of Hillerød, 30 minutes in train north of Copenhagen. There you will see Frederiksborg Castle, the Versailles of Northern Europe.

Any time spent on The Little Mermaid is wasted in my opinion, but for some tourists it is a must. No idea why...it has to be the most overrated attraction in any city across the globe.

40 minutes west of Copenhagen by train is Roskilde. Their cathedral has all the danish royals burried. Also, they have a museum for all the findings of our Viking heritage down by the harbour. Also an outside viking village with shipbuilding, craftsmen and much more.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Depends on what kind of museum you want. The National museum in the center of Copenhagen is a must, also Rosenborg Castle and if you have a little more time, go to the town of Hillerød, 30 minutes in train north of Copenhagen. There you will see Frederiksborg Castle, the Versailles of Northern Europe.

Any time spent on The Little Mermaid is wasted in my opinion, but for some tourists it is a must. No idea why...it has to be the most overrated attraction in any city across the globe.

40 minutes west of Copenhagen by train is Roskilde. Their cathedral has all the danish royals burried. Also, they have a museum for all the findings of our Viking heritage down by the harbour. Also an outside viking village with shipbuilding, craftsmen and much more.
Big thanks!

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
To what degree can I pay with a card? Do foodtrucks and smaller stores also offer card payment?

Also, are there other quirky stores in the mold of Tiger and Normal?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I heard from s relative that several shops only take danish cards? For sure that can't be true?!
No, you can use Visa or MC in close to all stores across Denmark. We are not part of the euro though, but you might still find shops in the big tourist trap areas that accepts euroes and SEK as well. As long as it isnt a russian card, you should be fine :)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
No, you can use Visa or MC in close to all stores across Denmark. We are not part of the euro though, but you might still find shops in the big tourist trap areas that accepts euroes and SEK as well. As long as it isnt a russian card, you should be fine :)
I am not fond of cash at all so if I would bring cash you better be sure it would be danish!

I have still not seen all the "new swedish" coins and bills. Turns out they came out in 2015-2016..

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Just realized we are visiting during pride - pros are many! Happy people and lots of colour and maybe even some nice food trucks and such. But does the rest of town also live up during pride like Stockholm so that it is not even worth visiting Tivoli and Bakken? Will restaurants be full or does pride mainly keep to its area? The area is hilariously close to our hotel :D

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Just realized we are visiting during pride - pros are many! Happy people and lots of colour and maybe even some nice food trucks and such. But does the rest of town also live up during pride like Stockholm so that it is not even worth visiting Tivoli and Bakken? Will restaurants be full or does pride mainly keep to its area? The area is hilariously close to our hotel :D
There will probably be activities around the city regarding Pride, but dont think the entire city will be affected by it. I dont really follow the Pride thing, so I might be wrong, but I do know, that the parade usually is fun to watch. Depending on how many foreigners Pride attracts, I wouldnt keep away from other attractions just because there is an event in Copenhagen. There is small and big events here every week of the year, so we are used to the constant inflow of tourists.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Second hand shops have been poor this far, mostly really worn out stuff and no games and stuff. Are the big loots to be found at flea markets as in Helsinki?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Second hand shops have been poor this far, mostly really worn out stuff and no games and stuff. Are the big loots to be found at flea markets as in Helsinki?
No, there are stores that specialices in that stuff, but more often that not, it is overprized as in not really cheap because most of it is 50's and 60's Danish design which is in highly demand around the world and all people are aware of this. To find the good stuff you need to go to the smaller towns/cities before the big players do and that is a challenge itself.

There are flea markets everywhere, but its not a weekend thing, more like once a year or so.

If by games you mean old computergames, I dont think there is much of a market. I had an old collection of comics I tried to hand of a couple of years ago. Old Lucky Luke from the 70's were the most sought after but it didnt bring very much and far less that I expected.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
No, there are stores that specialices in that stuff, but more often that not, it is overprized as in not really cheap because most of it is 50's and 60's Danish design which is in highly demand around the world and all people are aware of this. To find the good stuff you need to go to the smaller towns/cities before the big players do and that is a challenge itself.

There are flea markets everywhere, but its not a weekend thing, more like once a year or so.

If by games you mean old computergames, I dont think there is much of a market. I had an old collection of comics I tried to hand of a couple of years ago. Old Lucky Luke from the 70's were the most sought after but it didnt bring very much and far less that I expected.
It's interesting.. I would love for a country nearby to be more like the US when it comes to this. People can make amazing finds. The UK might my best bet. Copenhagen really knew how to suck every penny out of me. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all expensive.. As were museums. Glad we had half or holiday in Malmö or else I would ha e to get a weekend job :D

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
It's interesting.. I would love for a country nearby to be more like the US when it comes to this. People can make amazing finds. The UK might my best bet. Copenhagen really knew how to suck every penny out of me. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all expensive.. As were museums. Glad we had half or holiday in Malmö or else I would ha e to get a weekend job :D
Copenhagen is one of the most expensive cities in the world along with Singapore, Paris, Hong Kong and a variety of Swiss cities :) It is however also one of the safest and it doesnt have that "big city" vibe that most others have. Even Stockholm has more big city atmosphere. I like it here though, but Danes dont go out every night to eat, nobody can afford that.

The problem with antiquing here is that we are only 6 mio people and we all pretty much know about porcelain, ceramics, lamps, furniture etc, so everybody spots it right away when it comes on the market. And therefore you only find garbage at the fleamarkets, everything else is sold on the internet or at auctions. Many second hand shops are forced to travel to southern parts of Sweden or northern Germany to find interesting things that they can make some money on.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Copenhagen is one of the most expensive cities in the world along with Singapore, Paris, Hong Kong and a variety of Swiss cities :) It is however also one of the safest and it doesnt have that "big city" vibe that most others have. Even Stockholm has more big city atmosphere. I like it here though, but Danes dont go out every night to eat, nobody can afford that.

The problem with antiquing here is that we are only 6 mio people and we all pretty much know about porcelain, ceramics, lamps, furniture etc, so everybody spots it right away when it comes on the market. And therefore you only find garbage at the fleamarkets, everything else is sold on the internet or at auctions. Many second hand shops are forced to travel to southern parts of Sweden or northern Germany to find interesting things that they can make some money on.

Yeah... I just thought it was embellishment like when people said Tokyo and Brussels were expensive but my money stretched much further than at home there..

I don't look for antiques, more knickknacks, games, misc electronics and branded shirts.

Copenhagen felt more like a big city than Stockholm, probably because I am used to Stockholm..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad