Great Britain: OT Vacation spots in Britain?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hello! My SO will use up her vacation by going on a luxury cruise in 2019; leaving me all on my own.

Is there a good British place for a vacation? Here are my requirements:

• Cheap ~£40/night good hotels without bed bugs
  • At least two arcades with crane games
  • Some interesting niche museums (or an awesome history museum)
  • A decent beach in walking distance from the city
  • Close to an airport as I am slightly impaired when it comes to mobility and prefer to take just one train or bus to and from the airport. Extra points if it is a lowcost hub
  • Other good points of interests nearby.
Thanks in advance!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hello! My SO will use up her vacation by going on a luxury cruise in 2019; leaving me all on my own.

• Close to an airport as I am slightly impaired when it comes to mobility and prefer to take just one train or bus to and from the airport. Extra points if it is a lowcost hub
Thanks in advance!

check DMs

this is my wheel house

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)
I would recommend Paignton in Devon. I often go there. I base myself there. I usually park my car up for the duration and get a weekly ticket on the local buses. Among other buses, the #12 goes all the way around Torbay, which gives plenty of options. There is also a mainline railway station there and a steam railway as well, with amazing views. There are boat trips available

The area is known as the English Riviera because it enjoys more average days of sunshine than anywhere else in England

• Cheap ~£40/night good hotels without bed bugs - Lots of cheap bed and breakfast. They are all competing with each other, so usually decent enough. Read reviews, pick the better ones and they're usually pretty good
  • At least two arcades with crane games - This is a typical British seaside resort, which includes arcades. Nearby Torquay (15 minutes on the #12 bus) has several arcades as well
  • Some interesting niche museums (or an awesome history museum) - Again, nearby Torquay (You could stay here, though likely to be more expensive) has several museums. Torquay museum is home to the remains of Northwest Europe's oldest human fossil, as well as an Agatha Christie collection. Babbacombe model village is also well worth a visit
  • A decent beach in walking distance from the city - Most bed and breakfasts are within a few hundred yards of the main beech. Around the bay, there are other beeches available
  • Close to an airport as I am slightly impaired when it comes to mobility and prefer to take just one train or bus to and from the airport. Extra points if it is a lowcost hub - This is the one minor sticking point. You could fly into Heathrow (British Airways or SAS). From there, you could get a National Express coach direct to Paignton, but it takes around 4.5 hours. You could fly into Bristol, which is closer, but would be more expensive. Coach from there is 2hrs 45mins or about 2.5hrs on the train, changing twice
  • Other good points of interests nearby. - So many things! I would highly recommend the 'Round Robin' for a day out. This includes a steam train with superb views from Paignton to the naval town of Dartmouth. From there, it's a guided cruise up the river dart - Very relaxing, with plenty of places of interest along the way. This takes you to the very picturesque town of Totnes. From there, you return to Paignton on an open top bus. If the weather is good, it's a great day out! Paignton zoo is a big zoo that is well worth a visit, along with it's sister venue, "The Living Coast" in Torquay, a coastal based wildlife conservation centre, with such things as penguins, seals, otters and so much more.

If you can handle the coach ride from Heathrow then I would highly recommend Paignton

Check out https://www.englishriviera.co.uk/things-to-do

Reactions: JMCx4 and mattihp

buzzbee

nude hockey player
Aug 8, 2005
Bracknell (UK)

Thanks in advance!
I thought I would return to this thread and see if you came to GB and if so, how was it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->