OT: Trying to learn Finnish

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Hello everyone, my and my girlfriend go to college in different states so we have a lot of spare time and we like to have hobbies, so we decided together to try to learn Finnish.

I have been using the site www.livemocha.com as well as just using some random iPod apps and listening to Finnish radio just to hear some words.

Does anyone have any advice? We are kind of teaching ourselves without any teacher. If anyone has any advice or even any interesting info about Finland feel free to pass it along.

:help: ;)

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Also how did I do on my first sentences haha

Minun nimeni on Vilhelm. Minä voin hyvin. Minä olen New Hampshire. Asun New Yorkissa. Olen töissä elokuvateatterissa. Suomi on paras.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Does anyone have any advice?

Just try not to get too frustrated with the complexity of Finnish language. ;) Seriously though, I guess my advice is that keep it simple composing short sentences (similar to the example you used beneath) and not trying to get too fancy with the grammar. Just learn the basic grammar and vocabulary, and go from there. Try to learn the pronunciation as well since it differs a lot from English. :)

Also how did I do on my first sentences haha

Minun nimeni on Vilhelm. Minä voin hyvin. Minä olen New Hampshire. Asun New Yorkissa. Olen töissä elokuvateatterissa. Suomi on paras.

The bolded should be "minä olen New Hampshiresta". Sta/stä ending is the equivalent for "from" in English. Otherwise they are correct.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Hello everyone, my and my girlfriend go to college in different states so we have a lot of spare time and we like to have hobbies, so we decided together to try to learn Finnish.

I have been using the site www.livemocha.com as well as just using some random iPod apps and listening to Finnish radio just to hear some words.

Does anyone have any advice? We are kind of teaching ourselves without any teacher. If anyone has any advice or even any interesting info about Finland feel free to pass it along.

:help: ;)

Move to Finland ;) Then u will learn the lang alot faster :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Isn't it 17 kasus (cases) you have in Finland (so if you think german is hard having 4 - Nominative, Accusative, Genetive and Dative - better give up before you die of frustration lol).
I think I heard Finland share 11 cases with Estonian and have 6 uniques and Estonians have 4 unique cases.
Which causes the Hungarian to laugh of the simplicity, since they have 18!

The point being dont worry about grammar and keep it simple, as helpfully said above.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Easy Finnish

Want to learn some Finnish or practise what you already can? Easyfinnish is an elementary online course meant for anyone interested in learning Finnish. Do exercises, listen to audios, play a game, discuss with others or test your skills.

http://www.oneness.vu.lt/fi/

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Learning a new language is always difficult but if you are motivated you can even visit the moon. The best way is obviously moving to Finland but I suppose that is not very realistic for wKetch. Starting from the basics is very recommendable. The grammar is very complicated and it differs from german language groups such as English completely. I would suggest to learn some usual sentences such as ''hello, good morning/evening, thank you, how are you'' etc. and some words for example ''me, you, he, home, milk, beer, days of week''. At first the grammar should not be over-focused.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Isn't it 17 kasus (cases) you have in Finland (so if you think german is hard having 4 - Nominative, Accusative, Genetive and Dative - better give up before you die of frustration lol).

No. Only 15.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I would suggest to learn some usual sentences such as ''hello, good morning/evening, thank you, how are you'' etc. and some words for example ''me, you, he, home, milk, beer, days of week''. At first the grammar should not be over-focused.

Small talk sentences aren't that usual in Finland. :laugh:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Thanks everyone

It seems a little overwhelming right now but I guess I am up for the challenge and Finland has always been my favorite country outside the US so it could be a valuable goal if I ever can visit.

I'll definitely try to stick to just very simple things like conversation starters at first like you guys said and try to master those before I try anything serious.

I'll let you know how my journey is going and I'll keep checking back for more advice or help or anything you guys have to offer

Thanks guys
The bolded should be "minä olen New Hampshiresta". Sta/stä ending is the equivalent for "from" in English. Otherwise they are correct.

Very interesting... I'll try to remember that :)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Sta/stä ending is the equivalent for "from" in English. Otherwise they are correct.
Don't start handing out thumb rules, as there are none or very little. In said case, lta/ltä are also used with some words, such as "from Russia", Venäjältä.

To make things even more difficult, sometimes the actual word will turn very irregular even if the postposition doesn't. For example, if you are from Turku or Helsinki, you don't say "Turkusta" or "Helsinkistä", but "Turusta" and "Helsingistä".

Very interesting... I'll try to remember that :)
Actually, let's put it like this: If you wish to achieve skills in Finnish that are as grammatically correct as possible, then try not to remember any obvious "rules".

But if you simply wish to achieve a level where you might be able to carry a conversation, go crazy. We're very likely to understand you even if you don't get the irregularities right and just attach the postposition to the end of the word's basic form. In fact, your mistake here proved that we might do so even if you don't use one at all.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
what are some hockey related words I can learn :)

Maali = goal
Rannelaukaus / rannari (slang) = wrist shot
Lyöntilaukaus / lämäri (slang) = slapshot
Paitsio = offside
Pitkä kiekko / pitkä (short) = icing
Taklaus = tackle
Jäähy = penalty
Rangaistuslaukaus / rankkari (slang) = penalty shot
Maila = stick
Luistimet = skates
Kypärä = helmet
Laitataklaus = boarding
Väkivaltaisuus = roughing
Korkea maila = high stick
Kampitus = tripping
Joukkue = team
Vierasjoukkue = visitor
Kotijoukkue = home team

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Some more hockey words:
kaukalo = rink
siniviiva = blue line
punaviiva = red line
aloitus = faceoff
päätuomari = referee
linjatuomari = linesman
päävalmentaja = head coach
apuvalmentaja = assistant coach
(vara)kapteeni = (alternate) captain

MurrayCraven24

Aug 1, 2007
Mattoon, IL.
I am also learning Finnish and the noun cases are overwhelming. But the really confusing thing is proper names. When I browse a photo gallery on Jatkoaika, sometimes proper names have suffixes on the end or letters are switched around.

Some examples:

Ville Peltosen / Ville Peltonen
Jarkko Ruudulta / Jarkko Ruutu
Justin Azevedon / Justin Azevedo
Matt Generousilla / Matt Generous

Why is this? I couldn't find any kind of answer.:help:

2A18

Feb 2, 2013
I am also learning Finnish and the noun cases are overwhelming. But the really confusing thing is proper names. When I browse a photo gallery on Jatkoaika, sometimes proper names have suffixes on the end or letters are switched around.

Some examples:

Ville Peltosen: Ville Peltonen's, genitive
Jarkko Ruudulta: (from) Jarkko Ruutu, ablative
Justin Azevedon: Justin Azevedo's, genitive
Matt Generousilla: Matt Generous (has) or (on) Matt Generous, adessive

Last edited:

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Maali = goal
Rannelaukaus / rannari (slang) = wrist shot
Lyöntilaukaus / lämäri (slang) = slapshot
Paitsio = offside
Pitkä kiekko / pitkä (short) = icing
Taklaus = tackle
Jäähy = penalty
Rangaistuslaukaus / rankkari (slang) = penalty shot
Maila = stick
Luistimet = skates
Kypärä = helmet
Laitataklaus = boarding
Väkivaltaisuus = roughing
Korkea maila = high stick
Kampitus = tripping
Joukkue = team
Vierasjoukkue = visitor
Kotijoukkue = home team

Some more hockey words:
kaukalo = rink
siniviiva = blue line
punaviiva = red line
aloitus = faceoff
päätuomari = referee
linjatuomari = linesman
päävalmentaja = head coach
apuvalmentaja = assistant coach
(vara)kapteeni = (alternate) captain

kiitos ystävät :D

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Some examples:

How are you learning? What do you use?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I can imagine. Sometimes when you really stop and think about how you speak and what rules your language has, makes me think and respect the foreigners who have moved here and learned the language.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I have some books and audio courses. I also watch a lot of Finnish movies and listen to interviews in Finnish on YouTube. It is a tough language to learn. I am focusing on vocabulary right now.

I got some app called Byoki Finnish (I believe) for my iTouch which has been pretty helpful with the basic vocab, there are a lot of words so eventually it will get pretty useful. It was 7 bucks I think.

This livemocha site is pretty great too, you should try it. You sound like you are decent at it already, so you can just skip the first few lessons. Finnish people will comment and correct you, its pretty nice for a free site.

I have also been checking out the site someone earlier posted.

One other thing is I listen to Finnish talk radio as I fall asleep in hopes that eventually I will sort of start to recognize and become more familiar with pronunciation and sentence structure and things

what does this mean :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->