OT: Tom Gores to acquire Pistons

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Fugu, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Fugu

Fugu Administrator

Existence
    I guess this ends the speculation about moving the Wings to the Palace, or the Pistons to a shared arena (at least for now).

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...d-palace-sports--entertainment-119505344.html

From Ilitch:

Gores was raised in Michigan after his family immigrated to the US when he was 6-7 yrs old, iirc.

He studied finance at Michigan State University, and went on to make a couple billion dollars. :) Eli Broad is another MSU billionaire (Accounting), who lately has been giving money away left, right and center mostly to the arts and philanthropy. The business school at MSU is called... Broad School of Business.

2. Brodie

Brodie Marxist-Harbaughist

There's no guarantee Gores wouldn't be interested in a deal with Ilitch to build a new arena... one has to be built in the short term anyway, it might be to their benefit to jointly operate the place instead of competing.

3. Fugu

Fugu Guest

True. I don't think I've heard any comments from Gores wrt to arenae and if he'd be interested in cooperating. Does seem like the two are on good terms though.

4. Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch Registered User

I guess when Mikey dies the Wings will go to auburn Hills?

5. Brodie

Brodie Marxist-Harbaughist

You'd guess wrong.

6. Motown Beatdown

Motown Beatdown Need a slump buster

Home Page:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6309235

That's all i could find regarding the arena. It will be interesting to see what Mr I does now

7. Fugu

Fugu Guest

What Brodie means is that Wings will no doubt be kept in the family. Son Christopher Ilitch is very involved with the sports side of the business.

Well, seeing there is no other arena option at the moment, of course Gores will keep the team in the Palace. I imagine even if things got started this year, we're 2-3 yrs out before a new arena would be completed?