OT: OT Thread, Winter Edition(2nd Fall for Georgians)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have to admit my desire to go to a bar or dine-in restaurant is pretty much gone after almost 2 years of not doing it...I do feel badly for all of the restaurant owners who have lost all of that revenue, though. We did do some Skip orders from traditional dine-ins, though. I hope they recover financially.

Anyone else finding that as well? I am more than content to sit in my backyard and have a beer now with some friends instead of the "let's go out" experience, or to cook a decent supper at home. I'm also nearing 50, maybe I've just turned into an old fart earlier than expected lol

Reactions: Gm0ney

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I have to admit my desire to go to a bar or dine-in restaurant is pretty much gone after almost 2 years of not doing it...I do feel badly for all of the restaurant owners who have lost all of that revenue, though. We did do some Skip orders from traditional dine-ins, though. I hope they recover financially.

Anyone else finding that as well? I am more than content to sit in my backyard and have a beer now with some friends instead of the "let's go out" experience, or to cook a decent supper at home. I'm also nearing 50, maybe I've just turned into an old fart earlier than expected lol

just about 40 and I am having the opposite experience. I am more than excited to go out on a patio or to a restaurant and take in fresh sounds and sights. I am not really an extrovert but this damn pandemic has slowly turned me into one I think.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Nope, opposite desire for me entirely. But pre-covid I had pretty regular "restaurant/bar/lounge" experiences as part of my weekly routine. Group of guys I went to high school with (some as far back as kindergarten) would get together each Thursday night for a few drinks. Usually met my best friend for a couple of beers at a lounge one afternoon on the weekend. My wife and I generally go out for dinner once a week. Sometimes it's the Keg, sometimes it's Red Top, but we go out once regularly. I really miss that level of social interaction with a variety of people and getting out. Wrong side of 50 here.

I also miss concerts terribly. A "positive" to come out of Covid is that I'm no longer thinking of dropping my Jets STs. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not angry at TNSE or anything like that. But I work downtown and couple that with 15-20 Jets games a year and I spend a ton of time downtown. It became burdensome to have to go to a Sunday night game, knowing full well I had to be back downtown 8 hours after I got home. Or ending up with back to back games on a Wednesday-Thursday - I was downtown for 17/24 hours. Now though I'm excited for games.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nope, opposite desire for me entirely. But pre-covid I had pretty regular "restaurant/bar/lounge" experiences as part of my weekly routine. Group of guys I went to high school with (some as far back as kindergarten) would get together each Thursday night for a few drinks. Usually met my best friend for a couple of beers at a lounge one afternoon on the weekend. My wife and I generally go out for dinner once a week. Sometimes it's the Keg, sometimes it's Red Top, but we go out once regularly. I really miss that level of social interaction with a variety of people and getting out. Wrong side of 50 here.

I also miss concerts terribly. A "positive" to come out of Covid is that I'm no longer thinking of dropping my Jets STs. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not angry at TNSE or anything like that. But I work downtown and couple that with 15-20 Jets games a year and I spend a ton of time downtown. It became burdensome to have to go to a Sunday night game, knowing full well I had to be back downtown 8 hours after I got home. Or ending up with back to back games on a Wednesday-Thursday - I was downtown for 17/24 hours. Now though I'm excited for games.

I'm definitely looking forward to going to a game again. I didn't really have that weekly routine any longer of meeting up with people at a bar, so it's probably factored into things. It was more let's go someplace for a birthday or other special occasion.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Some big events for Canada later with Women's Soccer Final and 4x100m Men's Relay Final

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Do they have somewhere better to be? Play until someone scores.

I do know if the NHL ever decided playoff games like this I would never watch the league again.
Sorry you feel this way but soccer is not hockey. This is the tradition of the sport - they way they do it.

Should they decide hockey like this? Never.

Just don't watch soccer. I thought it was a fantastic tournament and gold medal game. The penalty kicks were absolutely thrilling.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Why is the men’s Canadian soccer program so far behind the women?

Olympic Gold for the women, while the men can’t even qualify for the World Cup.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Disgusting display of cheating and poor sportsmanship by the Canadian team.:shakehead

:sarcasm:

The countries that are successful in women's soccer are countries that historically put resources and money into the sport. There are quite frankly insultingly few countries world wide that have done so. Sweden did so early on, and has been a (relative to size) force in women's soccer for decades.

Men's soccer is more of an even playing field. Sure, some countries have more of a soccer culture than others, and relatively more resources put into the sport, but most countries have a fairly developed men's soccer program in place, and have had it for many years.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Disgusting display of cheating and poor sportsmanship by the Canadian team.:shakehead

:sarcasm:

The countries that are successful in women's soccer are countries that historically put resources and money into the sport. There are quite frankly insultingly few countries world wide that have done so. Sweden did so early on, and has been a (relative to size) force in women's soccer for decades.

Men's soccer is more of an even playing field. Sure, some countries have more of a soccer culture than others, and relatively more resources put into the sport, but most countries have a fairly developed men's soccer program in place, and have had it for many years.
That’s kind of what I figured. Thanks for the reply.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That’s kind of what I figured. Thanks for the reply.

The men's program here has improved though. They still have a long way to go, but there is far more emphasis being placed on soccer at a young age. Lots of families immigrating to Canada don't have the money for hockey so their kids get into soccer.

The two biggest Canadian men's names right now, Alphonso Davies and Johnathan David, both immigrated to Canada at a young age. I think it will get even bigger after the 2026 World Cup where Canada is definitely playing as co-host, but they actually have a decent shot to finish top 3 in the final concacaf round and qualify for next year's world cup as well.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't know if I'm just naturally reclusive, but I find the same thing. If I never eat inside a restaurant again I wouldn't miss it. If I never go to another movie in a theatre, no problem. Never commute to work again - ha ha, I'm 100% on-board with WFH. But yeah, 20-something me would be appalled... :laugh:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't know if I'm just naturally reclusive, but I find the same thing. If I never eat inside a restaurant again I wouldn't miss it. If I never go to another movie in a theatre, no problem. Never commute to work again - ha ha, I'm 100% on-board with WFH. But yeah, 20-something me would be appalled... :laugh:
I am onboard with WFH but those other things I want back. I went out to restaurants and for drinks this weekend for the first time since last March and it was great to be back. Yes we can get the same food delivered, have the same drinks at home and save a bunch of money in the process but the atmosphere is not the same. I'd have gone for a movie too but too bad there isn't anything good playing right now, watching a movie at home does not compare to the theatre for me... too tempting to pull out your phone at home if it's a slow movie.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Sorry you feel this way but soccer is not hockey. This is the tradition of the sport - they way they do it.

Should they decide hockey like this? Never.

Just don't watch soccer. I thought it was a fantastic tournament and gold medal game. The penalty kicks were absolutely thrilling.
This is probably why Valour FC is considered fringe in this city...

Reactions: Jet

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I am onboard with WFH but those other things I want back. I went out to restaurants and for drinks this weekend for the first time since last March and it was great to be back. Yes we can get the same food delivered, have the same drinks at home and save a bunch of money in the process but the atmosphere is not the same. I'd have gone for a movie too but too bad there isn't anything good playing right now, watching a movie at home does not compare to the theatre for me... too tempting to pull out your phone at home if it's a slow movie.
Concerts and travel are also 2 big ones for me.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I've had this convo with a very knowledgeable soccer guy (makes a living coaching)

A lot of it comes down to where soccer stands in terms of athletics heirchy. Look at the states for example. Their best male athletes tend to gravitate towards football and basketball. From there, maybe baseball, wrestling, hockey and soccer.

Imagine if the best players in the NFL had grown up with a soccer ball on their foot instead of playing football. The Americans would dominate.

In canada, our best male athletes *generally* end up playing hockey. The ones who buck that trend are usually first or second generation Canadians from countries where soccer attracts the elite athletes (like every country in the world that isn't canada/USA lol)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad