OT: OT Thread Part 6: still got a new name faster than Seattle's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Bike lanes are good to go. Gotta make sure the 1% aren't inconvenienced. Car owners, you're on your own.

They must have waited half an hour to be able to capture two bikes on the same photo, in Edmonton, in Winter, even in Old Strathcona.

I doubt its even actually 1% in winter here. I get that it works as all year commute in warmer climates. It doesn't here.
they keep making this try to happen here. Cycling in the winter is a uniformly miserable experience. That nice breeze from cycling you get in summer is hell in winter and even worse when its wet out and you can't stay dry. I'd rather f***ing walk 5miles to work than cycle the distance in the winter.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
My sister in law is one of those 1% and I get immense joy out of giving her shit over these bike lanes.

Long may this entire fiasco continue.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
A reasonable number people still use their bikes in the winter. I am a cycler and have bike lanes in front of my house. It is absurd the length (and i assume the cost) they go to, to clean the bike lanes. They plough the bike lanes pretty well after each and every snow no matter how much or how little, not only that they do it at all hours of the night. I actually had to move into my 2nd bedroom in the back of my house due to this.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Our illustrious mayor wants everyone to ride bikes or take transit. Roads are for the elitist bourgeoisie pigs.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
In 2020, public transit should be pushed heavily over cars.

The problem is Edmonton's public transit is crap, previous councils repeatedly failed to address it and only now are they getting to LRT expansion that should have happened decades ago. And now they've quietly changed the rules so they can change transit pricing without notice.

So maybe wait until the trains are halfway decent before f***ing over drivers. And I chose not to drive, so I'm not even speaking from self-interest.

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In 2020, public transit should be pushed heavily over cars.

The problem is Edmonton's public transit is crap, previous councils repeatedly failed to address it and only now are they getting to LRT expansion that should have happened decades ago. And now they've quietly changed the rules so they can change transit pricing without notice.

So maybe wait until the trains are halfway decent before f*cking over drivers. And I chose not to drive, so I'm not even speaking from self-interest.

LRT was planned to Millwoods as far back as the early 70's and with rollout within a decade. That was all scrapped, unfortunately. Imagine the cost savings getting all this done when material and construction costs weren't anywhere near what they are now.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Surveys reveal 88% likely give sarcastic responses to pointless and ridiculous surveys.
Depends where those surveys took place.

Don't forget, these were taken from a country of 300 million that elected a buffoon for a president while providing no viable alternatives, and one of it's states (Florida) are incapable of properly counting election ballots, and also has some states where inhabitants have marital relations with their sister or brother, and have never seen a toothbrush.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
OK I've had enough snow. This is shit is really wet and heavy. The type of crap where you push the shovel forward and it wonderfully sticks. it happened today. For the first time all season I lost it with that stupid ass metal blade shovel that sticks on everything f***ing imaginary frictional surface and just wedges in.. Its like trying to shovel snow with a homemade piece of rotten plywood. That would prob be more effective..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
OK I've had enough snow. This is shit is really wet and heavy. The type of crap where you push the shovel forward and it wonderfully sticks. it happened today. For the first time all season I lost it with that stupid ass metal blade shovel that sticks on everything f***ing imaginary frictional surface and just wedges in.. Its like trying to shovel snow with a homemade piece of rotten plywood. That would prob be more effective..
I stopped using metal blades years ago for this very reason. Always catching or sticking to stuff, and you can nearly break a wrist. Sure, the plastic edges wear out quicker, but those shovels tend to be lighter and more maneuverable.

As for the snow, no matter how we feel about it, this is the time for it to be wet and heavy with the changing of the season. And March is famous for some very unstable weather as we transition to spring.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I stopped using metal blades years ago for this very reason. Always catching or sticking to stuff, and you can nearly break a wrist. Sure, the plastic edges wear out quicker, but those shovels tend to be lighter and more maneuverable.

As for the snow, no matter how we feel about it, this is the time for it to be wet and heavy with the changing of the season. And March is famous for some very unstable weather as we transition to spring.

Bill Matheson fan? That was very well written and almost prose like. You have weather reports in your veins. heh

I don't know why I keep trying the metal edge things. Some people swear by them and tell me I haven't gotten the right quality one. I'm all with you. Plastic blade that wears out, and lighter, and easy to use. The one thing the metal blade is good at is clearing to pavement which I prefer. So I'm mostly using it just to finish off surfaces. mine has one of those suspension things so its not impaling my abdomen or jarring my wrists as much. What I've done before is strip the damn metal blade right off and keep using it. This metal blade is going to have that happen soon.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
So...Im going to let this out here, as I went through some scary shit last night with the truck and I can't really tell the wife cause last thing I need is her to get over worried as she gets stressed enough as is when Im out on the road.

Started out the night last night picking up a load out of Calgary to take to Cranbrook, I have this app on my phone that gives me a live look at what the winds are doing around the globe so I can try to assess any risk on the potential routes I decide to take, especially for going down to and through Crowsnest Pass. Looking at it, I was seeing areas that showed gusts up to around 60 n 70km/h, which is starting to get up there, but nothing too threatening as long as I keep my speed in check. My load is essentially mail, which is not heavy at all so when the winds get up my trailer is basically a 53ft sail im pulling down the highway.

I leave Calgary at 11pm with my load and head down highway 2, and turn onto secondary road 533 to cut across to hwy 22, there's a sign on the corner telling the windspeed as soon as you turn onto 533, and tonight it read 35km/h, so I though perfect, let's rock n roll. Get to hwy 22, turn south, immediately feel the winds have picked up, hitting my from the east, but as mentioned before, I was expecting to be hit with gusts up to 70km/h so mentally I was ready for it. Get about 25mins further down the road and HOLY f*** was I in for a surprise. Snap of a finger, the winds shifted from easterly, to westerly, those gusts were north of 100km/h (I know this cause I switched my radio to the weather broadcast) and a wind warning was put into effect for the area. Anyhow, because I was doing about 90km/h myself when I got hit with he sudden gust from my right, I felt the wind pick up my trailer, and pull the whole truck all the way over 15ft, well into the opposite lane and had me ride the left shoulder, and I felt the truck tilt to an almost 45 degree angle to the left, and for about 5secs, I thought for sure I was going to either get blown on to the driver side, or straight up get blown off the edge of the hill and roll down the to the bottom of a revine. I was hammering the brake and through my jakes on full blast to slow down as much as I could, and I was able to eventually able to steer the truck out of it and keep it right side up.

But holy shit, I;ve been doing this for well over 5 years now, and that was the closest I've ever come to having a wreck, I'm really appreciating being alive and in one piece this morning.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
So...Im going to let this out here, as I went through some scary shit last night with the truck and I can't really tell the wife cause last thing I need is her to get over worried as she gets stressed enough as is when Im out on the road.

Started out the night last night picking up a load out of Calgary to take to Cranbrook, I have this app on my phone that gives me a live look at what the winds are doing around the globe so I can try to assess any risk on the potential routes I decide to take, especially for going down to and through Crowsnest Pass. Looking at it, I was seeing areas that showed gusts up to around 60 n 70km/h, which is starting to get up there, but nothing too threatening as long as I keep my speed in check. My load is essentially mail, which is not heavy at all so when the winds get up my trailer is basically a 53ft sail im pulling down the highway.

I leave Calgary at 11pm with my load and head down highway 2, and turn onto secondary road 533 to cut across to hwy 22, there's a sign on the corner telling the windspeed as soon as you turn onto 533, and tonight it read 35km/h, so I though perfect, let's rock n roll. Get to hwy 22, turn south, immediately feel the winds have picked up, hitting my from the east, but as mentioned before, I was expecting to be hit with gusts up to 70km/h so mentally I was ready for it. Get about 25mins further down the road and HOLY f*** was I in for a surprise. Snap of a finger, the winds shifted from easterly, to westerly, those gusts were north of 100km/h (I know this cause I switched my radio to the weather broadcast) and a wind warning was put into effect for the area. Anyhow, because I was doing about 90km/h myself when I got hit with he sudden gust from my right, I felt the wind pick up my trailer, and pull the whole truck all the way over 15ft, well into the opposite lane and had me ride the left shoulder, and I felt the truck tilt to an almost 45 degree angle to the left, and for about 5secs, I thought for sure I was going to either get blown on to the driver side, or straight up get blown off the edge of the hill and roll down the to the bottom of a revine. I was hammering the brake and through my jakes on full blast to slow down as much as I could, and I was able to eventually able to steer the truck out of it and keep it right side up.

But holy shit, I;ve been doing this for well over 5 years now, and that was the closest I've ever come to having a wreck, I'm really appreciating being alive and in one piece this morning.

Jesus...

I cant imagine how scary it would be to be out on the highway with a trailer in those conditions. The wind was so vicious that it blew my window open.

Glad you're okay.

Reactions: yukoner88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Crowsnest pass is such a headache. Its like a wind tunnel that pass. We sure get a lot more wind shear events than we used to. Glad you made it out of that one. No way to predict the sudden crazy wind gust from the sounds of it.

Reactions: yukoner88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad