OT: OT Thread II: Where everything's made up and the points don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcoyne

Jul 8, 2012
Hey, can someone recommend a sports bar that shows todays PIT - VGK? Never been to Vegas before, so don't know which places are good. Thanks.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hey, can someone recommend a sports bar that shows todays PIT - VGK? Never been to Vegas before, so don't know which places are good. Thanks.

On the Strip? Almost every sports bar may show the local team.

B.A.R (Born and Raised) is a good supporter of the team. McKenzie River (CNA) gets you into the action. There's a beer place around NYNY that's really close to the real action at T Mobile Arena.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If you are on the Strip, you can also watch it on a big screen at the plaza outside the arena. Seems like it would be a blast.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Ok, super duper important question.... well actually two. The fate of the universe depends on it (for some reason)

1) Why do you Americans call burgers sandwiches?

2) What are what you call biscuits? because a biscuit for us is what you call a cookie, but a cookie here is just a big biscuit, but I have friends who say he goes to KFC for their biscuits and am like what?

Reactions: Nevada Jones

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Ok, super duper important question.... well actually two. The fate of the universe depends on it (for some reason)

2) What are what you call biscuits? because a biscuit for us is what you call a cookie, but a cookie here is just a big biscuit, but I have friends who say he goes to KFC for their biscuits and am like what?

1) because burgers are sandwiches. Meat and other morsels of goodness pressed between two pieces of bread. That said, I call them burgers. Sandwiches are for old people.

2) biscuits are light bread baked in individual servings. Excellent when slathered with butter, served with chipped beef gravy over them, or as the bread to a sausage and egg breakfast sandwich. No Vegemite, sorry.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
1) because burgers are sandwiches. Meat and other morsels of goodness pressed between two pieces of bread. That said, I call them burgers. Sandwiches are for old people.

2) biscuits are light bread baked in individual servings. Excellent when slathered with butter, served with chipped beef gravy over them, or as the bread to a sausage and egg breakfast sandwich. No Vegemite, sorry.

To me a sandwich is between to flat pieces of bread, if the breads round it's a roll, if it's long it's a sub, if its a burger it's a burger.

Hmmm I don't think we have an equivalent here.... maybe fry bread would be the closest.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Definition of sandwich

(Entry 1 of 3)
1a: two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b: one slice of bread covered with food (open face sandwich)

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.

Hey, I am an old people, and I've never called a burger a sandwich! :laugh: In fact, I've never heard anyone in my lifetime call a burger a sandwich.
My God, why would anyone do that?!?! :biglaugh:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

1.) Calling hamburgers sandwiches is a meme. Hamburgers are hamburgers. There may have been a time in the black and white TV era where someone called it a hamburger sandwich, but if someone called it a hamburger sandwich to my face these days, I'd punch them. That being said, it's definitely a sandwich, but if you refer to it as a sandwich in polite conversation, you should go away.
2.) Biscuits are savory and fluffy, cookies are sweet. There are rare exemptions to the rule, but that's just because we let people go crazy over here sometimes.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
1.) Calling hamburgers sandwiches is a meme. Hamburgers are hamburgers. There may have been a time in the black and white TV era where someone called it a hamburger sandwich, but if someone called it a hamburger sandwich to my face these days, I'd punch them. That being said, it's definitely a sandwich, but if you refer to it as a sandwich in polite conversation, you should go away.
2.) Biscuits are savory and fluffy, cookies are sweet. There are rare exemptions to the rule, but that's just because we let people go crazy over here sometimes.
I do find it interesting how words have different meanings depending on where you live or then at the same time 100 words to describe the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad