OT: OT Thread II: Where everything's made up and the points don't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's not bad... not really my kind of place... Not alot of places in NZ are my kind of places.

I was born and have lived in NZ all my life, but as to whether I'm actually a kiwi... I would say no. I describe myself as an American born in the wrong country. Maybe I'm an idealist but I have always loved the idea of America (the execution of that idea left a lot to be desired but I wont delve any further into that, because that would be getting political, but I think the idea of America is better than anything else in the world). Also things that are typically considered Kiwiana I can't really be bothered with. This country is obsessed with Rugby, Cricket, the sun, the beach, swimming, summer, and I don't really like any of them.

As for hockey I really started getting into it at the turn of the century, I liked the Mighty Ducks Movies, but really didn't seriously consider Ice Hockey. My oldest brother liked it and when we visited him we would play NHL 2001 on playstation, got my own copy and for a few years that was pretty much my only exposure to hockey. Started out playing with the Islanders quite liked them, tried the kings, but quickly went back to the Islanders, eventually went to the Flames, because fire. I mean I had never even heard of Calgary before so it was the fire that drew me in. Couldn't catch many games, mainly because there were not many on, I think regular season maybe 1 game across the entire league a week. Managed to watch the 04 Stanley Cup run, and for ages after that I'd listen to games through the internet. Only been the last few years I've been able to consistently watch games, and then Vegas came along, and being the only City outside NZ i've actually really been to, plus a good friend lives there, there was an emotional attachment that overode my time supporting the flames (they are still my number 2 team, but not the 1b team I thought before our first season) and then here I am :)
So as much as I love Las Vegas, I'm sorry that Las Vegas was your only exposure to the US. It's an awesome place, but it's not the one I'd choose as the example of why the US is awesome.

New Zealand is a place I've always wanted to visit, even before those Lord of the Rings dorks decided it was a cool place to go, I've just never had the opportunity to fly that far and lose that many hours doing it to visit. It's definitely on the list, though.

Also, I read wiki, so I'm now officially an expert on your hometown. :laugh:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
So as much as I love Las Vegas, I'm sorry that Las Vegas was your only exposure to the US. It's an awesome place, but it's not the one I'd choose as the example of why the US is awesome.
I think aspects of it aren't bad. I think I went to the Strip once, we were going to see a band perform at the House of Blues, but it got cancelled. went to Freemont St once to see the summer experience thing they were doing, I believe it was Queen the night I was there. But as I was staying with a friend I think I went to more local places than tourist places. Because if she wasn't there it actually wasn't a place that interested me. Did head out to the Valley of Fire NP, beautiful place, and did blow a tire in the middle of the Mojave hahaha. I think I did impress her with my navigation skills, driving around chasing after a thunderstorm and I told her the best place to watch was was between Centennial High School and 95, and it was (Few other people had that exact plan aswell)

There are other places I wouldn't mind going, one being NOLA, but I think the humidity would kill me, I hate humidity haha.

New Zealand is a place I've always wanted to visit, even before those Lord of the Rings dorks decided it was a cool place to go, I've just never had the opportunity to fly that far and lose that many hours doing it to visit. It's definitely on the list, though.
Yeah it's interesting, I think flying to the US I arrived 10 minutes before I left NZ and flying back I think I skipped right over a Tuesday lol.

Also, I read wiki, so I'm now officially an expert on your hometown.
You've done better than me, lol, Haven't even seen our wiki page let along read it hahaha :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Great name, great colors, hideous logo. Yuck!!!

Las Vegas' Triple-A baseball team rebrands as 'Aviators'
What in the world were they thinking with that logo!?

200w.gif

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
What in the world were they thinking with that logo!?

200w.gif
It wasn't until I saw a piece on the local TV news tonight, and they explained what it was, that I actually knew what it was. I got the pilot face right away, but other than the mountains silhouette, I didn't get what that other thing was on the pilot's head. Guess it's a helmet and aviator goggles.

And the "V" shape is for Vegas I assume, but are they supposed to be helmet straps? And why are they covering the goggles?

Maybe I'm not looking at it right or seeing it right, and I need to turn the dang thing upside down. :laugh:

However, I do like the name...we can call them the Avs! ;) :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

And the ombre-like sunset orange color is quite cool. :thumbu:

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
That's who I would have thought... but @Nevada Jones was only a measly 2nd.

I don't even think you've like this persons posts, but they were the first to like mine.

Ha! Ha! It could not have been me as I registered two years after the Hangman. :DD

If it's someone whose posts BB doesn't like, I have a guess, and it might be the same person (and only person) I have on ignore. Therefore, I am not at liberty to disclose the name, and I do hereby request the Hangman grand prize like by default. :nod:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Ha! Ha! It could not have been me as I registered two years after the Hangman. :DD

If it's someone whose posts BB doesn't like, I have a guess, and it might be the same person (and only person) I have on ignore. Therefore, I am not at liberty to disclose the name, and I do hereby request the Hangman grand prize like by default. :nod:
Yeah but you joined about the same time the boards switched to the new engine which allowed us to like posts, before that it was the wild west of not knowing people liked your posts hahaha.

Also.... Colder... it's not someone BB doesn't like, it's someone whose posts he hasn't liked.... come on I know you can get this.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah but you joined about the same time the boards switched to the new engine which allowed us to like posts, before that it was the wild west of not knowing people liked your posts hahaha.

Also.... Colder... it's not someone BB doesn't like, it's someone whose posts he hasn't liked.... come on I know you can get this.
It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma and I have figured it out.

However, I'm interested in people guessing which poster I don't like so I'd like to stay on that thread. I'm positive nothing negative can come out of it. :laugh:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma and I have figured it out.

However, I'm interested in people guessing which poster I don't like so I'd like to stay on that thread. I'm positive nothing negative can come out of it. :laugh:

Well that's obvious... me, you've been jealous of my dashing good looks ever since I got here :biglaugh::biglaugh:

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well time is up... not that I gave a time limit.

The answer as I'm sure he's figured out was @BattleBorn who has never liked any of his posts.... because he couldn't. Hahahahahaha

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
With the government shutdown about to happen and with me currently being a federal employee, all i have to say is:
4a3.gif

Reactions: hangman005

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
With the government shutdown about to happen and with me currently being a federal employee, all i have to say is:
4a3.gif
Are you a government employee in the part of the government that will get shut down? Might not be that big a deal.

Also potential for no shutdown, twitter tells me the senate is meeting.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Are you a government employee in the part of the government that will get shut down? Might not be that big a deal.

Also potential for no shutdown, twitter tells me the senate is meeting.

The place I work for wont get shut down due to it being essential to public safety, I just wont receive pay assuming this government shut down lasts long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad