OT: OT thread Chlorophyll? More Like Boreophyll Edition

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
My dream is to break into the music industry - despite now being 31 years old - and helping some of my friends from the high school I went to do it too, with the idea that we would all move to the LA area to further our careers.

So I'm asking you this - what is LA like?

Where are you?

Not all that great. It really depends on what you do.​

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
My dream is to break into the music industry - despite now being 31 years old - and helping some of my friends from the high school I went to do it too, with the idea that we would all move to the LA area to further our careers.

Los Angeles is like nowhere else in the world.
We have THE best weather in the world. Yet things like snow are a short drive away.
LA is incredibly ethnically diverse and has amazing food.
We have an insanely large urban sprawl and painfully inadequate mass transit.

It is very expensive to live here. Each of you will need a car.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Everything @LT Dan said was true, but if you're looking to break into music you'd probably be better off moving to Nashville.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Nashville isn't the only city with a vibrant music scene. I would choose LA because I would want to eventually cross over into acting. For the record, I'm from NE Ohio for those who are wondering.

So you ask what LA is like and then try to tell the people that live here what it's like? Bold strategy. I've lived in LA almost my entire 46 year life. Spent my youth living in places like The Troubadour, Whiskey, Roxy, and a ton of other places you've never heard of. Trust me, LA's music scene is nothing like it once was. If you want to also try to be an actor then I guess it makes sense. Good luck.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Nashville isn't the only city with a vibrant music scene. I would choose LA because I would want to eventually cross over into acting. For the record, I'm from NE Ohio for those who are wondering.
The music scene has been dead for a while its just too expensive to live here now for real artists. If you want to be a mainstream pop musician or actor, you (or your parents) have to be rich and pay off labels, managers, agents, etc. If you arent willing to pay to play then you have to be really good looking and perform sexual favors for men and women that could help you get ahead. Thats mainly in the acting world. I got sucked into acting by others briefly and it is much worse than the music business.
With that said, its a great place to live especially if you have liberal values. If you are willing to do things yourself and not chase fame you can make a living off music and there are a ton of talented people with great ears and recording gear to help you realize the sound in your head.
I have made a niche off recording analog and cutting vinyl records after I couldnt take the commercial music business anymore.
It took a lot of time and my own money and I dont think its possible unless you really love music.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You will love it here.

It is still where most of the casting is done even if shooting is done elsewhere

Some LA tips to help you make a smooth transition

1) The Freeways. We are little bitches here that call freeways I-10, Interstate 10, or Highway 10. It's the 10. If you really want to fit it call it "The f***ing 10"

2) Never call a carne asada taco a "steak taco"

3)
reason-innout-1200x630.jpg

Awesome burgers at half the cost of traditional fast food , but their fries are worse than the Buffalo Sabres are this season.

4) People from San Francisco and further North will hate you. It is okay though. There is a one-way rivalry that we don't care about.
If they ever get under your skin call SF "Frisco". If you really want to burn them, tell them that Frisco is in Central CA and call it "the Coastal Bakersfield"

5) It is okay to wear shorts 360 days a year

6) NEVER go to Bell or Cudahy

7) Fireworks are largely illegal, but that doesn't stop anyone

Fireworks can be bought in Santa Ana (referred to as Santana) or Pahrump NV (if you are looking for the military grade stuff)

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The music scene has been dead for a while its just too expensive to live here now for real artists. If you want to be a mainstream pop musician or actor, you (or your parents) have to be rich and pay off labels, managers, agents, etc. If you arent willing to pay to play then you have to be really good looking and perform sexual favors for men and women that could help you get ahead. Thats mainly in the acting world. I got sucked into acting by others briefly and it is much worse than the music business.
With that said, its a great place to live especially if you have liberal values. If you are willing to do things yourself and not chase fame you can make a living off music and there are a ton of talented people with great ears and recording gear to help you realize the sound in your head.
I have made a niche off recording analog and cutting vinyl records after I couldnt take the commercial music business anymore.
It took a lot of time and my own money and I dont think its possible unless you really love music.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Haha yea pretty much spot on. I think its always been like that here but in the past it was easier to make it if you had talent. Now talent is the last thing they look for. If you arent willing to pay or suck off then they will just go to the next person who will. It always surprised me how many people are lining up and willing to do this for a shot at fame.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
You will love it here.

It is still where most of the casting is done even if shooting is done elsewhere

Some LA tips to help you make a smooth transition

1) The Freeways. We are little bitches here that call freeways I-10, Interstate 10, or Highway 10. It's the 10. If you really want to fit it call it "The f***ing 10"

2) Never call a carne asada taco a "steak taco"

3)
reason-innout-1200x630.jpg

Awesome burgers at half the cost of traditional fast food , but their fries are worse than the Buffalo Sabres are this season.

4) People from San Francisco and further North will hate you. It is okay though. There is a one-way rivalry that we don't care about.
If they ever get under your skin call SF "Frisco". If you really want to burn them, tell them that Frisco is in Central CA and call it "the Coastal Bakersfield"

5) It is okay to wear shorts 360 days a year

6) NEVER go to Bell or Cudahy

7) Fireworks are largely illegal, but that doesn't stop anyone

Fireworks can be bought in Santa Ana (referred to as Santana) or Pahrump NV (if you are looking for the military grade stuff)

Nobody talks enough about how shitty in n outs fries are.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
So you ask what LA is like and then try to tell the people that live here what it's like? Bold strategy. I've lived in LA almost my entire 46 year life. Spent my youth living in places like The Troubadour, Whiskey, Roxy, and a ton of other places you've never heard of. Trust me, LA's music scene is nothing like it once was. If you want to also try to be an actor then I guess it makes sense. Good luck.

Oh crap. Same age.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I feel like everything in the world is out of stock, on back order, delayed etc. I'm in fleet truck sales and the lead times keep getting worse and worse on vehicles due to a massive parts shortage. Furniture, electronics, etc. are the same way. We desperately need to start bringing production back to North America!

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Anyone know what the general re-opening status is of ice rinks like LA Kings Valley Ice and TSPC (i.e. proximal rinks to West L.A.)? I recently moved back to L.A. and I can't get through to any rinks over the phone, nor can I register online. Just trying to register for some stick times so I can start to get my skating legs back!

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Anyone know what the general re-opening status is of ice rinks like LA Kings Valley Ice and TSPC (i.e. proximal rinks to West L.A.)? I recently moved back to L.A. and I can't get through to any rinks over the phone, nor can I register online. Just trying to register for some stick times so I can start to get my skating legs back!
What you do with your stick in your personal time is probably best not discussed here. ;)

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad