OT Sports stars, franchises and Hollywood agencies are betting $38 million on an esports revolution

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
eSports are such a weird proposition. They're not any one "thing," they're a whole bunch of different games being played on a whole bunch of different platforms and a whole bunch of different competition structures, that big companies are just kind of blindly dumping money into. It's disparate, and I find it odd that we just go "eSports!" when we're really talking about vastly different games being played.

I find most of them impossible to follow in televised events, which I guess is because I've never played the games. But I think things are always gonna be that way, for a lot of people. Like, most people can follow football having never played it.

For them to generate true outsider appeal, as in, not just video game diehards watching, I think the games have to be right. Things that people can sit down and follow. Go watch the world's best button-mashers play Overwatch and you'll just kinda puke, it's a bunch of schizophrenic motion and flashing lights and flailing limbs and different avatar skins. Add that in with the fact that game come and go...

It's gotta be something enjoyable, I think, to a mass audience, that can be followed without having played the game extensively, but is also challenging and enjoyable for the world's best gamers. What the f*** that game is, I don't know, but it just strikes me as odd that it's this huge bucket--eSports!--without even a defined game. There's just a bunch of different ones being competed on in different tournaments and different tiers, it's just a blob of animation and cash and thinkpieces without any unifying core.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Fighting games are probably the easiest for casuals to follow, and yet they get dwarfed in viewers by the incomprehensible to casuals DOTA2. I have no idea why except that fans of the latter are more passionate? Or maybe it's the team aspect.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Esports is no joke, by 2021, esports will likely overtake all other sports except the NFL in total viewers (USA).

I suspect the trend will continue and with declining NFL viewership, at some point they will overtake the NFL too and never look back. The age demographics of esports skew younger, so it’s unlikely to go away especially with better technology, more software and larger prize money on the line.

Hopefully the NHL will figure out a way to carve out a portion of the esports market because the future of sports will without a doubt be online.

upload_2019-6-14_8-49-16.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad