Rays going cashless.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For a team that draws horribly, you'd think they'd accept money in as many ways as possible, and not limit that.

Agreed.

Why give people more reasons not to go. They seem to have enough already given the Rays attendance.

The only reason I can think of that makes sense is if there is massive theft going on with the employees.

Reactions: DaveG and NCRanger

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Is it that common?
I only pay in cash and i doubt that more than about 1-3% of germans pay only with debit card or with their phone (that about 1%).
We love our cash, if one wants a fight, eighter establish speed limits for the whole Autobahn or take our cash. you will f***ing die before getting that money.

And while i live in the netherlands where it's more common to pay cashless, i only pay in cash.

in germany 99% of stores don't have a self-paying station.

Interesting as a few Bundesliga stadiums are already cashless, to great displeasure of fans.

Consumer groups threaten legal action over cashless payment systems in the Bundesliga | DW | 18.11.2016

Do you have to use those specific stadium cards or CC/Debit/phone is also accepted?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'm baffled by any idea by any business that reduces the number of ways [especially easy ones] that customers can pay
The only reason I can think of that makes sense is if there is massive theft going on with the employees.
or a big deal with Visa etc so they pay a reduced rate on CC transactions?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm not saying I believe this stuff but isn't there some biblical thing about when people are basically numbers and can be tracked everywhere it is a sign of the apocalypse? Some "number of the beast" stuff?

I am only half kidding here.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm baffled by any idea by any business that reduces the number of ways [especially easy ones] that customers can pay

or a big deal with Visa etc so they pay a reduced rate on CC transactions?
Cash isn't easy. It has significant logistical issue that debit cards don't have once you get past the point of pay (handling, storage, training, transportation, re-stocking, counting, and everything else). The cost of all that adds up really fast, and on top of that there's a very real loss percentage of a couple percent per night on transactions. And over a long season you can easily be in the millions [insert mandatory attendance joke here].

Reactions: DoyleG

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
My dad and I go to the Trop once every other season when the Yankees are down. My dad only carries cash, he doesn't use a card for anything unless it requires one such as a hotel. It looks like he'll have to pay me back for every expense that occurs within the stadium. I had a feeling they would do this. We went back in June and I thought that the cashless parking was just going to be the start.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
I'm sure this will affect tens of people.

img4542-2*1200xx5472-3078-0-285.jpg
Pffh thats a good crowd. Musta been a saturday

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't imagine the old people that go to the games being happy with this. And if you go prepaid card you're bound to forever have leftover money on the thing.

Not just old people but anyone that prefers multiple options which includes cash. At least when you're using cash you don't have to be concerned with identify theft which occurs often with the use of cards.

:jets

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I can tell you aren't old enough to know that businesses used to take credit cards without electronic machines for years and years (it's called carbon copies). There are ways around outages and it won't be the disaster you think it will.

Then again, last week I spend 20 extra minutes stuck in a car line for a Tim's coffee because their ''computer'' which is also a cash register was having issues.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
I don't get this one. There are banking costs that go along with debit/credit card for each transaction that the seller pays. Maybe they are trying to get rid of the people who have to count the cash at the end of the night.

Reactions: NCRanger

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I don't get this one. There are banking costs that go along with debit/credit card for each transaction that the seller pays. Maybe they are trying to get rid of the people who have to count the cash at the end of the night.
Bingo. Much harder to experience theft this way. Not to mention far more efficient.

I ran a sports and recreation operation, and we switched all accounts to credit. It made us immensely more efficient in processing customers.

Some grumbled initially, but once they got used to the process, came to accept it.

And quite honestly, even though I typically use cash, at stadium or arena events, if it's going to expedite the process I'm all for it as a customer.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

There is a transaction cost for digital but usually benefits outweigh cons.

From a fans perspective, have Rays provided more benefits than simply expected increased transaction speed? Any discounts?

Can't imagine Rays having long lineups given low attendance. In addition baseball has many small breaks unlike other pro sports with intermissions where you have a lot of people at the same time going for concessions. Since they already had parking fully cashless perhaps data is already there to support this. Still would have not expected a baseball team with low attendance to pioneer something like this in NA.

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Cash isn't easy. It has significant logistical issue that debit cards don't have once you get past the point of pay (handling, storage, training, transportation, re-stocking, counting, and everything else). The cost of all that adds up really fast, and on top of that there's a very real loss percentage of a couple percent per night on transactions. And over a long season you can easily be in the millions [insert mandatory attendance joke here].
for sure
there are certainly similar costs associated with a significant amount of transactions via debit/credit/their personal cards also, as pointed out above

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
for sure
there are certainly similar costs associated with a significant amount of transactions via debit/credit/their personal cards also, as pointed out above
They already accept payment via card, so they've already determined that those costs are acceptable.

But it's not costs are not that important, there are always costs involved in transactions, the logistics are the bigger part. Card vs cash is night and day. One requires significant infrastructure and carries a loss percent. The other involves putting a chip and pin dock or contractless on the till (which will be there already) and literally nothing else.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can tell you aren't old enough to know that businesses used to take credit cards without electronic machines for years and years (it's called carbon copies). There are ways around outages and it won't be the disaster you think it will.

Do those machines even exist anymore? I've had my bank go down on me a few times now. You are literally screwed when that happens. Because of this I now have a credit card from a different company, so I don't look like a fool in the grocery lineup.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Do those machines even exist anymore? I've had my bank go down on me a few times now. You are literally screwed when that happens. Because of this I now have a credit card from a different company, so I don't look like a fool in the grocery lineup.

The major retail chain I used to work at has them under each register.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
One requires significant infrastructure and carries a loss percent. The other involves putting a chip and pin dock or contractless on the till (which will be there already) and literally nothing else.
there's absolutely something else: the costs that the seller absorbs for each transaction

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
there's absolutely something else: the costs that the seller absorbs for each transaction
Yes. And those are not logistical issues. I had already stated that there are costs involved, you just decided to not quote that part for whatever reason.

As I said in the post you didn't read, they've already decided that the costs on card payments are worth it. Else they would never have them in the first place.

And the reality is that the cost of using cards is less than handling cash. If it wasn't the case, then no one would ever use cards for anything. And if that was the case, then they'd just lower the fees to make you use them.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
There is a transaction cost for digital but usually benefits outweigh cons.

From a fans perspective, have Rays provided more benefits than simply expected increased transaction speed? Any discounts?

Can't imagine Rays having long lineups given low attendance. In addition baseball has many small breaks unlike other pro sports with intermissions where you have a lot of people at the same time going for concessions. Since they already had parking fully cashless perhaps data is already there to support this. Still would have not expected a baseball team with low attendance to pioneer something like this in NA.

They view themselves as the smartest guys in the room. This is the same team that decided to increase walk-up ticket prices within several hours of the game by $5 per ticket several years ago. Have no idea what the upcharge for this convenience is in 2019. This type of money grab affects walk-up sales. Also the same team that charges more based on the opponent and day of the week, and both. They view you as a product, not as a fan.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Yes. And those are not logistical issues. I had already stated that there are costs involved, you just decided to not quote that part for whatever reason.

As I said in the post you didn't read, they've already decided that the costs on card payments are worth it. Else they would never have them in the first place.

And the reality is that the cost of using cards is less than handling cash. If it wasn't the case, then no one would ever use cards for anything. And if that was the case, then they'd just lower the fees to make you use them.
there's no need to get all haughty & judgmental with the response here
if every similar business was losing money on cash v. cards due to the logistical issues [of which I don't agree with your point-it's not an unbearable burden causing them to lose money, it's an efficient collection procedure that you've overblown], we'd see this trend across many different kinds of large businesses. What will likely happen here is the Rays will lose a small amount of revenue by turning the faucet off on one extremely common way to pay for goods [in a market full of older retired people who are certainly more likely to use cash vs. the younger generations].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->