OT: Ottawa Citizen now a pay site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
The only social media I’m involved with are 2 forums. IMO, Twitter, FB, instagram, etc can consume your life if you let it, just look at kids these days.
I only follow hockey journalists on Twitter. Best way to be most up to date imo.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Can we really expect journalistic integrity out of them anyways with all the heavy handedness from the organization? Seems they've made it clear to fall in line and a local paper has little option but to oblige.

We have the threat to bury Brent Wallace

We have the airplane pass revoked situation for Warren (and others?)

We have Melnyk ripping Mendes publicly for somerhing as small as wanting PD to listen to an unappy fan

These incidents would no doubt affect what they would be willing to publish at this point.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This isn't new at all. I honestly feel like it's been that way for (at least) the last 2-3 years.

You can't expect people to pay for your paper when they can get the same info/articles for free on their website.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yup, they use cookies to count the number of articles (Sun is the same). Use incognito or private browsing and there is no cookie to read

All sites that only offer a certain number of free articles are the same. I only use those in incognito, but moreover these days if a page pops something like that or a complicated GDPR approval when I visit, I just hit that back button and find my information somewhere else

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
You can just clear your cookies as well, then you will have access again. Use to work I think, not sure if these types of sites have figured a workaround yet to a very easy bypass.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
All sites that only offer a certain number of free articles are the same. I only use those in incognito, but moreover these days if a page pops something like that or a complicated GDPR approval when I visit, I just hit that back button and find my information somewhere else
I find that sometimes you can also stop the page from finishing to load before the pop up comes on. It work sometimes.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You can just clear your cookies as well, then you will have access again. Use to work I think, not sure if these types of sites have figured a workaround yet to a very easy bypass.

Works for me, have my browser set up to clear all cookies each time I close it down. Never been denied reading any articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad