OT: Ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot:ot : Now even more off topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mittens*

He played the role of porch dick very well

869934d6bddcc6756546eca8c6ba6093.jpg

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Anyone catch this?

Love old school Van Halen but DLR has become a lounge act who can't sing a lick. From super cool to uber awkward. Getting older sucks.

Sad because original VH is one of my all time favorites.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Eddie sounds as great as ever. David Lee Roth sucks though. His constant need to change the tempo and sound of every song is annoying as **** and is the sole reason I will never see them in concert. This band needs Sammy big time. David has walked a fine line and I'll never get why everyone thinks he's so great. Sammy's voice was always superior regardless if the music wasn't. David Lee Roth was an entertainer (not entertaining to me though) and Sammy was an actual musician.

I still watch and have Live Without a Net on VHS. That's Van Halen in their prime.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Eddie sounds as great as ever. David Lee Roth sucks though. His constant need to change the tempo and sound of every song is annoying as **** and is the sole reason I will never see them in concert. This band needs Sammy big time. David has walked a fine line and I'll never get why everyone thinks he's so great. Sammy's voice was always superior regardless if the music wasn't. David Lee Roth was an entertainer (not entertaining to me though) and Sammy was an actual musician.

I still watch and have Live Without a Net on VHS. That's Van Halen in their prime.

Sammy is a better singer, but he never did anything for me.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Perhaps he got to many roundhouse kicks to the head while doing Kung Fu. Listen to their new album. He sounds absolutely ATROCIOUS. The band sounds as good as ever, but he's just mumbling and bumbling his way through songs. Half the time he changes the lyrics.

On the other hand, Eddie looks great and sounds great. Still one of the greatest guitarists ever.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Eddie does sound great but that guy is a grade A butthole in real life. I want VH to be great again but I think that DLR's time as a front man is just long long gone. The band does still sound tight though.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Perhaps he got to many roundhouse kicks to the head while doing Kung Fu. Listen to their new album. He sounds absolutely ATROCIOUS. The band sounds as good as ever, but he's just mumbling and bumbling his way through songs. Half the time he changes the lyrics.

On the other hand, Eddie looks great and sounds great. Still one of the greatest guitarists ever.

I love the band Van Halen circa 1977-1986 but Eddie as a guitarist has not really evolved in my opinion. He has made anything since that time that made me go wow.

On the other hand guitarists like Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert still impress the heck out of me.

Captain Mittens*

I love the band Van Halen circa 1977-1986 but Eddie as a guitarist has not really evolved in my opinion. He has made anything since that time that made me go wow.

On the other hand guitarists like Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert still impress the heck out of me.

I am probably going to be the lone wolf here, but I liked Van Hagar much better than the original Van Halen. I think it is musically way better and I think Hagar is 10x the singer than DLR is/was. He just didn't have the flash in that DLR did on MTV.

I think For Unlawful Carnal.... is the best VH album. stupid word filter

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Some of my favorites -

Some of his best sounding guitar work ever. Sounds like chainsaw.

Have you seen Wolfie's grades?

Van Halen I is the still the album that left the biggest impression on me. When I first heard it I couldn't believe what I was listening to.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
I am probably going to be the lone wolf here, but I liked Van Hagar much better than the original Van Halen. I think it is musically way better and I think Hagar is 10x the singer than DLR is/was. He just didn't have the flash in that DLR did on MTV.

I think For Unlawful Carnal.... is the best VH album. stupid word filter

Van Hagar as a separate entity is fine. But Sammy totally changed the essence of Van Halen the band.

DLR was a master showman back then. His singing left a lot to be desired though.

Van Halen should have replaced DLR this tour with David Lee Ralph

Ron*

I still watch and hav Live Without a Net on VHS. That's Van Halen in their prime.

DLR tells this great story about VH critics when they were playing Hollywood stints in the '70s before they released their first album (1977 or 1978 as I recall).

The critics would say:

"You haven't seen nothing until you've seen Van Halen in concert."

"Then you've seen nothing."

Captain Mittens*

DLR tells this great story about VH critics when they were playing Hollywood stints in the '70s before they released their first album (1977 or 1978 as I recall).

The critics would say:

"You haven't seen nothing until you've seen Van Halen in concert."

"Then you've seen nothing."

LOL :laugh:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Steven Pearcy has a funny story about how he watched them play before they hit it big. He sat in empty bars while they performed and he'd go down to San Diego and tell all his buddies about them. One day his buddy said, "I just heard the best guitar work in my life. It was unbelievable." Steven asked him curiously who it was and he of course responded EVH. Steven just shook his head because he had been telling him about EVH for years, but everyone didn't believe him. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad