OT NYT sells 10% of MLB Boston Red Sox for $117m

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=370627

The New York Times Co. has sold more than half of its stake in the Boston Red Sox for US$117 million.
It said it would continue seeking a buyer for the remaining 310 shares in Fenway Sports Group, the parent company of the Red Sox, the Liverpool Football Club, 80 per cent of the NESN television network and 50 per cent of Roush Fenway Racing.

The company bought 17.8 per cent of the ballclub's parent company for $75 million in 2002, then said three years ago that it was looking to sell.

Major difference in value between leagues. (TV income definitely a part of the difference.)

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
The Boston Red Sox are equivalent to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

10% of the Toronto Maple Leafs would be worth 150 million.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The Boston Red Sox are equivalent to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

10% of the Toronto Maple Leafs would be worth 150 million.

Perhaps MLSE (TML+Raptors+soccer team+media and properties) is equal to the value of the Red Sox, but the Maple Leafs alone are worth about half of the Red Sox, at least according to Forbes.

Slapshot85

Jul 1, 2011
Perhaps MLSE (TML+Raptors+soccer team+media and properties) is equal to the value of the Red Sox, but the Maple Leafs alone are worth about half of the Red Sox, at least according to Forbes.

I'm a little confused. Did they sell 10% of the actual team (who owns Fenway Park as well) or 10% of the holding company (which owns several interests like MLSE) that includes the ownership of the Red Sox and Fenway Park?

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I'm a little confused. Did they sell 10% of the actual team (who owns Fenway Park as well) or 10% of the holding company (which owns several interests like MLSE) that includes the ownership of the Red Sox and Fenway Park?

This, that group also owns Liverpool....the quoted part of the article isn't clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad