OT: NFL may come uncapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
SensGuy said:
The NFL is making a big mistake if it happens.

I personally love the salary cap and hope the NHL keeps it forever.

If they do, we all know that my dear Al Davis, and my beloved Raiders, will take full advantage of the lack of salary cap.

acr*

The first thing I thought when I read this was that the Raiders would attempt to buy a title.

Vic Rattlehead*

Jones, Davis, and Snyder would love for this to happen.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2317906

I've had enough of football for this season, but this could have some implications on the current CBA, as it may appear that the NFL may drop the salary cap for the 2007 season.

Mods, move if-necessary

This NFL negotiation will be interesting to watch. The NFL is basically king, and it has managed to avoid the type of shutdown that has recently beset the NHL, NBA and MLB. I think the players are itching to have some type of guaranteed contracts that players in other sports have. At the same time, the owners are divided amongst themselves over how to share revenues like those from suites, sponsorships, etc. Today's Boston Herald has a story about how Patriots owner Bob Kraft will not resign Richard Seymour until a new CBA is hammered out.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=124385

Wetcoaster

futurcorerock said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2317906

I've had enough of football for this season, but this could have some implications on the current CBA, as it may appear that the NFL may drop the salary cap for the 2007 season.

Mods, move if-necessary
Old news.

Upshaw has been saying this since October 2004.
Under the current agreement, there will be no salary cap for the 2007 season.

"We don't have that much time, because if we actually get to that uncapped year, it's over," Upshaw said. "We'll never get the cap back once it goes away."

Since the first contract with free agency and the salary cap took effect in 1994, it always has been extended before it expired to avoid the uncapped year. It was last extended in 2001.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7834035

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The NFL has by far the worst deal for the players of any of the 4 major sports. If I was an NFL player I would fight for guaranteed contracts more than anything. Getting cut because you get injured (and NFL players get by far the most devasting injuries of all 4 sports) sucks.

If I am in the NFL I don't mind the cap as long as the contract I sign for 3 or 4 years is nonoured in Full. Getting cut in the 2nd year of a 5 year contract is unfair. Especially after all of the players make millions over 3 or 4 years for their NCAA team for nothing.

Wetcoaster

futurcorerock said:
Check the date on my article. February 3rd. Tagliabue makes reference to the uncapping of the NFL in his "state of the NFL" address.

Thank you for being above everyone else, Wetty
Check the date of the article I cited 27 October 2004 - therefore old news.

Thanks for playing.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Wetcoaster said:
Check the date of the article I cited 27 October 2004 - therefore old news.

Thanks for playing.
In that case, it was old news back when they first signed their agreement. Thus, your news is old news. Sir,

The link is just a point of reference for the discussion.

Thanks for playing?

Drop The Gloves

Mar 11, 2004
Amherst, NY
Actually it really isn't old news since it hasn't happened yet, and the topic creator is correct by bringing this up because the state of the league address was this past week, and Paul said it wasn't looking good so far.

Thanks for playing?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
SuperMan313 said:
Uh oh, Oakland would be huge under a no-Cap world.

Just to give everyone the heads up on what's going on in all Raiders fans heads, and in Al Davis' office, I suggest you all go insert the Star Wars soundtracks, and play Darth Vaders theme--it may very well become the NFLs new Monday Night Football song :teach:

God I hope the uncapping is true, even if it's just for a few years, it'd be nice to see the Raiders spend Yankee dollars on a few Championships. :yo:

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Believe me its not going to happen. The players would lose BIG if they go uncapped. Imagine signing some guy and cutting him a week later without salary cap implications.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
GregStack said:
Just to give everyone the heads up on what's going on in all Raiders fans heads, and in Al Davis' office, I suggest you all go insert the Star Wars soundtracks, and play Darth Vaders theme--it may very well become the NFLs new Monday Night Football song :teach:

God I hope the uncapping is true, even if it's just for a few years, it'd be nice to see the Raiders spend Yankee dollars on a few Championships. :yo:
Al will just throw the money down a hole.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
SuperMan313 said:
Uh oh, Oakland would be huge under a no-Cap world.

They already are HUGE, they sign the fattest, slowest and dumbest players... ;)

But seriously, there is no way the cap goes away, the reason they implimented the cap was because of my beloved Eddie D (damn York!! grr...) and Jerry Jones were buying titles. They want an even playing field and they have it. I may not be a real cap fan because I feel it limits teams from keeping some of their best home grown players when their contracts come up but a cap in football and hockey is here to stay....

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
JWI19 said:
No they wouldn't, they are in a small market who cant even fill their stadium.

It's not about the market, it's about the type of owner Al is. All he wants are championships, and if he's allowed to buy one, he will.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
GregStack said:
It's not about the market, it's about the type of owner Al is. All he wants are championships, and if he's allowed to buy one, he will.
Has that ever worked? Has an NFL owner ever bought a ring? Al may spend a lot, but so would other owners. Davis wouldn't win every bidding war, and even if he did, talent alone doesn't win rings.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Troy McClure said:
Has that ever worked? Has an NFL owner ever bought a ring? Al may spend a lot, but so would other owners. Davis wouldn't win every bidding war, and even if he did, talent alone doesn't win rings.

Eddie Debartolo and Jerry Jones before the cap...duh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->