OT: NFL/ESPN sign new TV deal, close to $2b

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Jan 6, 2011.

1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/144773

MNF rights locked up for many years.

Labor issues notwithstanding. That's a commitment that things "won't change".

2. Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K Hockey Professor in Training

Two BILLION (Pinkey meet side of lips)

for the No Fun Leauge :sarcasm:

I keed I keed

I'm actually not surprised at all when High school football fights with the NHL in some places *couPHOENIXgh* you know the pro leuge will rake in the dough

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. Fugu

Fugu Guest

And that my friends is what I call clout, or is it the cache of the NFL?

They can chop the rights up however they want and still have obscene amounts of money thrown at them. They don't even have a team in LA fer cryin' out loud!

4. straka91*

straka91* Guest

Thats a lot of money. Congrats NFL.

5. BigFatCat999

BigFatCat999 I am a burner account

Which leads to the question, what is that adjusted to inflation? Big numbers are nice but with inflation that number is not as big as it seems.

6. Preds Partisan

Preds Partisan Gunga galunga

Here are the other network contract numbers from that same Sports Business Daily article:

"Even before this negotiation, ESPN was paying the league much more than any of the NFL’s other TV partners. ESPN’s annual payout of $1.1 billion dwarfs the annual rights fees paid by Fox ($720 million), CBS ($620 million) and NBC ($603 million). DirecTV pays about $1 billion a year for exclusive access to Sunday Ticket."

Edit: I get the NHL, MLB, and NBA networks as part of my standard digital lineup on my cable. The NFL Network? Yeah, right.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. BigT2002

BigT2002 Registered User

How does this shock anyone?? How much do they make on advertisements during all the MNF games alone?? That probably takes up a decent chunk of that I would imagine.

8. AtlantaWhaler

AtlantaWhaler Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  9. Fugu

Fugu Guest

If you adjust for inflation, we all have negative wealth at this point, just haven't figured it out yet. Are you going to be adjusting the other league's contracts too?

Over which time period? WWII to now, or like the last ten years?

10. BigFatCat999

Just in comparison to the last contract to see if there is a percentage of gain vs. percentage of loss.

And can you change your avatar to something not so freaky? :laugh:

11. Fugu

Fugu Guest

Hey, it's a really cool cat with nice green eyes. Nothing creepy about it unless you're one of those "dog people". :)

12. BigFatCat999

Damn skippy. The only cat I like is the mascot for the Preds and he knows well enough that I'm the one in charge not him. :laugh:

Now back to the thread. This seems more like ESPN making a gamble that the lockout will be short and will only be maybe at most, half a season.

Also, does ESPN pay while the NFL is in lockout? The NFL is not producing a product, why should ESPN pay.

Also, what is the TV status of the CFL in the US> I know NFL network had some of the games.

13. He Lied to Mario

He Lied to Mario Registered User

If there is a lockout the ESPN will just have 24/7 coverage of the lockout like this.

Rex Ryan just said this, Jerry Jones said that, one of the players said something. I'm sure ESPN will have some type of compensation for games missed. But I can't see the lockout lasting for more than half a season because the politicians will get involved to make themselves look like they are actually doing something.

As far as the CFL's TV status in the US, they are on the NFL Network about 15-20 games a year, plus they are on ESPN3.com. I can't see the CFL getting much money at all for these deals. There are a few teams like Saskatchewan and Winnipeg that are community owned and publish a balance sheet at the end of the year and they may have a breakdown of American TV revenue. The main purpose for the CFL in these deals is to get some exposure to college football players and pro free agents to make it easier to recruit these players to come to Canada.

14. BigFatCat999

I think the ultimate decision will be in the player's hands. This one of the few times where I side with the players. I feel football players should walk to mid-field, raise their helmets in the air, and scream 'We who are about to die salute you!' Linemen die 15-20 years younger than the average human being. That's not hyperbole, that's FACT.

The NFL might not provide much in the way of coverage simply because lockout news is repetitive and boring. Note that the NBA may lockout/strike and that will add to the repetitive and boring coverage. Do you really think ESPN / TSN wants 1/2 hour of lockout coverage on sportscenter / sportscentre? (See what I did there?)

The question is: how much will the owners/players cave?

15. Fugu

Fugu Guest

@Le Chat Grand.

I don't see a one year lockout really getting in the way of a decade long deal. Also note that this is an extension of their current contract, and the article mentions a 9-10 yr deal takes this to 2022-23. Does that mean the current deal is set to expire next year [the lockout year if it comes to that]?

No idea on whether anyone pays during the lockout, but I would think the contract is, as you stated, for games' rights so if there are no games, no money changes hands. What do the networks sell sponsors?

Also since we like play the valuation games, this bit caught my eye:

I think the NFL would be smarter to hang on to their digital and mobile rights and make them accessible on multiple platforms, a ppv approach.

Regarding inflation, I think 60-70% increase over the last 8 yrs is still okay:
    The NFL and ESPN started talking about extending the deal around Labor Day, when an exclusive negotiating window opened in ESPN’s current 8-year, $8.8 billion deal.
    versus:
    ESPN has told the NFL that it will increase its annual rights fee by 65% to 70%%, which means it will pay the league a record fee, between $1.8 billion and $1.9 billion a year [for 9-10 yrs].

Even at 9 yrs, the total value is ~$17 billion.

16. Brodie

Brodie Marxist-Harbaughist

ESPN is really throwing cash around... not just at football but at basketball and (in a few years) the Olympics. It makes me wonder if they're willing to overpay for the NHL rights

17. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

NYTimes piece on the two competing LA Stadium bids - AEG's $1.2B downtown plan and another in the sticks (30+ miles east in City of Industry).

Nothing will happen until after the Labor issues are settled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us/09stadiums.html

18. jumptheshark

jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

currently creating a new identity
    and another example of just how small time the NHL is in the states

19. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

SBJLizMullen
    NFLPA Exec Dir De Smith on new ESPN-NFL MNF extension: “The NFL should be congratulated for another billion-dollar network contract.
    It does make 1 question how they can announce both a TV deal worth $2B for ‘MNF’ & ‘negative cash flow’ in the same week
    Fans & players continue to be confused about their claims of a financial hardship as justification for a lockout.â€

20. TMC1982

TMC1982 Registered User

I'm sure that ESPN is eagerly anticipating the NFL's proposed expansion to 18 regular season games. They must be pretty delusional that the NFL will easily allow them to broadcast any playoff games (at least in the near future). Why should ABC be permitted to broadcast playoff games when they don't show any regular season games (for continuity reasons)? If that occurred, I'm willing to bet the congress would somehow intervene like they did when the Patriots were trying to go 16-0 on the NFL Network back in 2007.

21. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

That is an insane amount of money!

On a completely off the wall note, I wonder how much of this is attributable to gambling.

22. BigT2002

BigT2002 Registered User

So its basically 5am here, can you elaborate on this a little bit??

23. danishh

danishh Registered User

it's 7AM, and i'm pretty sure i'm sober by now, so i also would like some elaboration on this.

24. njdevsfn95

njdevsfn95 Help JJJ, Sprite.

i think he means you can count on fans of the teams watching the broadcast but also the fan that has money on the game in some fashion.

"Pick Em" Pools.

King of the Mountain pools.

Fantasy Football

the NFL is a gamblers dream.

25. HabsByTheBay

HabsByTheBay Registered User

It's a gambler's/casual fan/lazy TV watcher's dream. The standard of football discourse reflects that.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011