OT NBA officially requests player union to lower draft age to 18 for 2022

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There's a HUGE difference between being unfairly compensated and slavery. Because they are absolutely being compensated.
How much are they really being compensated. When a degree is watered down to the point that you really aren't learning much of anything (how can you with the schedules these guys have each season?), is it really worth that much?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
How much are they really being compensated. When a degree is watered down to the point that you really aren't learning much of anything (how can you with the schedules these guys have each season?), is it really worth that much?

Well a lot of these programs give out "gifts" or have third parties "not connected" to the school provide various types of compensation.

This is both illegal and unethical, and there are better ways to legitimately compensate these athletes. With that said, some athletes are technically being "compensated" outside of a free BS degree.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
No they aren’t. Some slaves were taught how to read and write and trades. Did that stop them from being slaves?

No, what stops someone from being a slave is choice. Basketball players have the choice to go overseas and be paid $$$ and they choose to go to college and not make money. We can argue whether or not the players are being taken advantage of, but using the "slavery" word is intentionally dense.

Reactions: Dogewow

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

As mentioned before, what they are really getting is training to be a professional athlete. How much that is worth is certainly debatable.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
No, what stops someone from being a slave is choice. Basketball players have the choice to go overseas and be paid $$$ and they choose to go to college and not make money. We can argue whether or not the players are being taken advantage of, but using the "slavery" word is intentionally dense.
Except...going to Europe isn’t an option for all players. And what about football players?

You can pretend they have choice all you want but the truth is, they often don’t.

So yea, slavery. Stop with the plantation mindset please.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
You can pretend they have choice all you want but the truth is, they often don’t.

Find me one single example of this. When has a player ever been forced to play college sports against their will?

If you can give me ONE concrete example of that, you get to keep using the word slavery.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Find me one single example of this. When has a player ever been forced to play college sports against their will?

If you can give me ONE concrete example of that, you get to keep using the word slavery.
You think most of them will go to college if NBA let them play straight outta high school? And don't gimme the Europe garbage. its not an actual alternative to most kids.

So while they are not getting a gun to their heads, yea they are kinda being forced to go to college.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Hopefully this becomes a MLB type of draft where a player can be drafted at 18 and sign or go to college and play 3 years then re-enter the draft after his JR season. I hate the NBA, and the “1 and done” rule is killing college basketball which I love.
NCAA is killing college basketball.
I love the 1 and done rule because it highlights the hypocrisy that is the NCAA.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
There's a HUGE difference between being unfairly compensated and slavery. Because they are absolutely being compensated.

The huge point that is missed is the fact that college athletes cannot cash in on their likeness.
College rake in millions and millions exploiting athletes. They couldn't care less about the person education skills. If so they just hire a Tudor, stick them easy courses, or do whatever else is necessary. People work hard for degrees.
Forget about Duke making millions with TV contracts and licensing or coaches making millions to coach a team full of stars what about the fact Zion Williamson isn't allowed to endorse the local Pizza joint or make money signing autographs?
Even if Zion wanted to sign with Nike now and endorse he can't without losing his eligibility status.
If I'm him that's what I do.
Make a mockery out of the NCAA. Let Duke get suspended and him lose his eligibility. He's already guaranteed top pick petty much.
My point is for the good to great collegiate basketball player who won't make the NBA or have a professional career in Europe. Either or actually. But that individual should be able to make money in endorsements.
Who does that effect?

Reactions: BJNT

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
The huge point that is missed is the fact that college athletes cannot cash in on their likeness.
College rake in millions and millions exploiting athletes. They couldn't care less about the person education skills. If so they just hire a Tudor, stick them easy courses, or do whatever else is necessary. People work hard for degrees.
Forget about Duke making millions with TV contracts and licensing or coaches making millions to coach a team full of stars what about the fact Zion Williamson isn't allowed to endorse the local Pizza joint or make money signing autographs?
Even if Zion wanted to sign with Nike now and endorse he can't without losing his eligibility status.
If I'm him that's what I do.
Make a mockery out of the NCAA. Let Duke get suspended and him lose his eligibility. He's already guaranteed top pick petty much.
My point is for the good to great collegiate basketball player who won't make the NBA or have a professional career in Europe. Either or actually. But that individual should be able to make money in endorsements.
Who does that effect?

I don't disagree. The system is broken and I'm not sure what the fix is. I might have less of a concern with the athletes playing for a scholarship, but it's very wrong that you have coaches, ADs, etc making millions of dollars off them.

Really the NBA just needs to lower the age limit for the draft to 18, so players who wish to have more access to not do the charade if they don't want to.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't disagree. The system is broken and I'm not sure what the fix is. I might have less of a concern with the athletes playing for a scholarship, but it's very wrong that you have coaches, ADs, etc making millions of dollars off them.

Really the NBA just needs to lower the age limit for the draft to 18, so players who wish to have more access to not do the charade if they don't want to.
Don't get me wrong because I'm actually against collegiate athletes being "paid" by the Colleges. Even in a television deal.
But the real corruption is the NCAA disallowing a college athlete from cashing in on his or her own notoriety by preventing them from making money in product endorsements.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There are a lot of things about the NCAA I don't like.

In general however I don't like the changes people propose to make it even more like a business and the student athletes employees. I'd rather see reform to make sure the schools are doing a better job of educating the student-athletes.

Some possible suggestions:
- Make scholarships non-revocable except in cases of dismissal standards used for the entire student body.
- Make scholarships continue past the athletic eligibility period if the student has yet to complete their degree.
- Make sure student athletes are free to pursue any major without restriction by the athletic department--this is one of the most problematic issues I've seen where many schools pressure or threaten athletes with loss of scholarship if they want to pursue a "tougher" degree that could interfere with sports.
- Review and potentially introduce new standards reducing allowed practice/team time if it is interfering with the ability of student athletes to pursue their degrees.

Reactions: oknazevad

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

In general however I don't like the changes people propose to make it even more like a business and the student athletes employees. I'd rather see reform to make sure the schools are doing a better job of educating the student-athletes.

- Make scholarships non-revocable except in cases of dismissal standards used for the entire student body.
- Make scholarships continue past the athletic eligibility period if the student has yet to complete their degree.
- Make sure student athletes are free to pursue any major without restriction by the athletic department--this is one of the most problematic issues I've seen where many schools pressure or threaten athletes with loss of scholarship if they want to pursue a "tougher" degree that could interfere with sports.
- Review and potentially introduce new standards reducing allowed practice/team time if it is interfering with the ability of student athletes to pursue their degrees.

All valid points. The 2 big outcries for reform come from Football & Basketball.
In terms of time, I can see that the fall schedule for a football player being very demanding. Players are likely having to take a lighter load, but then take a regular load in the Winter session and should take summer school courses to make up for the lighter fall schedule. They do have spring practice, but that should still be limited to a point where the athletes can get their credits done.

Basketball & hockey, they go like from the fall through to March/early April for the finals. Regular season for teams ends in early to mid part of March. Not sure why hockey players can be drafted and go to school yet basketball players can't. We know that the elite players in hockey leave school after their FR or SO years. Then there's the group of drafted players who opt to turn pro after their Junior season. Mainly due to development because as seniors they would be the oldest group, thus the challenge isn't as great for them so they need to try the next level at either the AHL or NHL. The other ones will a lower chance at the NHL finish out their senior year.
Basketball is 1 and done for the best players, no different than for hockey. Players will leave when they fell that they are ready for the next level.
Now, how can they find the time necessary to do their schooling?

If the NCAA is going to stand and say that they provide an education opportunity for their athletes, then I agree that the athletes need to be able to take the courses necessary to complete their desired degree so long as they quality to get into the program. Out of the 168 hours a week, how much time should an athlete be required to play the game, practice, study the game, and work out.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
These are one of many reason that I am not a fan of college sports: they collect millions dollars and doesn't pay players for what they are truly worth and exploits them since day 1 of college sports. Most of the athletes don't make it to professional league and they may get a degree from university but are worthless to in reality when it comes to a higher pay job in their field. If I'm an owner of a business looking to hire people, I would hire people that has experience in their field than the academic work that has no real-life job experience. At the end, they lose out some kind of income from a college sports and a degree from university wouldn't help them after 4 years if most students keeping on taking easier courses just to keep them eligible and easier courses are not relevant to the real world. If they felt that they had a hard time finding a real job, they could use the income that they would have made during their college career with college sports salary to take a courses that are relevant or taking a different major so that they would have a second chance on life.

That's not really fair though. The sham degree, sure. But hiring people that have work experience part is problesome to me. Where do you expect people to get experience? Is your company that much better than others that you won't take someone in with a degree in the field they are applying for? Don't tell me do internships and such, because that is a sham. Might be different in other places, but every intern that has come through where I worked did the dirty jobs like calling vendors to confirm the amount of security deposits on our accounts. Nothing really "work experience".

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

It's a sham and they are no longer going to hide that fact. I wish more former College athletes would come out in public and speak of all the corruption and special favors.
Reform would be limiting how many scholarship one University can give out to four and five star recruits.
Reform would be cutting out all advertising and having established pay scales equivalent to what College Professors are paid for coaches. No big TV contracts. No gambling allowed on College Sports.
No alcohol served at College Sporting Events.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Theee athletes MAKE these schools money without being compensated financially. That sounds like slavery to me.

They are compensated with free tuiton, room & board, access to top level facilities and training staff. Adds up to over 6 figures a year in non-monetary benefits (maybe not really all that useful for most is another story). 90% of the players aren't really worth more compensation than that since they are replacement level. The 1% who are future NBA 1st round draft picks are the ones worth A LOT more. The easy solution would be to allow them to hire agents and accept signing bonuses from an agency, and also accept sponsorship deals so they can get some outside compensation with direct salary payments from the schools.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
They are compensated with free tuiton, room & board, access to top level facilities and training staff. Adds up to over 6 figures a year in non-monetary benefits (maybe not really all that useful for most is another story). 90% of the players aren't really worth more compensation than that since they are replacement level. The 1% who are future NBA 1st round draft picks are the ones worth A LOT more. The easy solution would be to allow them to hire agents and accept signing bonuses from an agency, and also accept sponsorship deals so they can get some outside compensation with direct salary payments from the schools.
That’s not compensation. At all. Imagine telling soldiers they are paid for with guns, Ammos, food and barracks to sleep in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad