OT: Lindenwood

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Very exciting news!

I do want to point out that the article isn't fully accurate. Lindenwood has been playing ACHA D1 for over a decade, not D2 as stated in the article. Making the jump from ACHA to NCAA is difficult, but they have a better head start with the ACHA D1 experience than they would if they had been in D2. With 3 ACHA D1 national championships since 2008, they have absolutely been one of the better non-NCAA programs. This is the step that made sense, not a giant leap of faith from a middling ACHA program.

Arizona State recently made the jump from ACHA D1 to NCAA D1. They made it to the NCAA Tournament in year 3, so there is definitely a roadmap to follow here.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Not to mention St. Louis has a great recruiting base to clean up. Not many ACHA programs can say that.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Lindenwood in a checking league isn't something you want to watch if you're a Lindenwood fan. Better off at roller hockey

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Very exciting news!

I do want to point out that the article isn't fully accurate. Lindenwood has been playing ACHA D1 for over a decade, not D2 as stated in the article. Making the jump from ACHA to NCAA is difficult, but they have a better head start with the ACHA D1 experience than they would if they had been in D2. With 3 ACHA D1 national championships since 2008, they have absolutely been one of the better non-NCAA programs. This is the step that made sense, not a giant leap of faith from a middling ACHA program.

Arizona State recently made the jump from ACHA D1 to NCAA D1. They made it to the NCAA Tournament in year 3, so there is definitely a roadmap to follow here.
Hockey is strong out here in the desert.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Very exciting news!

Arizona State is a much different school than Lindenwood. Warm weather climate, major city, and 30,000 women on campus. Pretty appealing to Canadian hockey players, i would guess.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Arizona State is a much different school than Lindenwood. Warm weather climate, major city, and 30,000 women on campus. Pretty appealing to Canadian hockey players, i would guess.
For sure, but Canadian hockey players make up a pretty small portion of NCAA recruiting. Any player who plays in the CHL is ineligible for the NCAA, so that eliminates tons of Canadian hockey players. The ones who come play NHL usually play their junior hockey in the US. The majority of NCAA scouting is done through US junior hockey and the same leagues that feed the top end talent of ACHA D1 schools (obviously lower end players).

Arizona State had 7 players from Canada on their roster last year. They had 5 players from Missouri and Illinois. St. Louis and Illinois have become pretty big talent developers in youth/junior hockey. Lindenwood will absolutely have a different recruiting pitch than Arizona state, but that doesn't mean that there aren't tons of lessons to be learned about transitioning your program from watching the mistakes/successes of ASU. Lindenwood will be recruiting from the talent pool in their own back yard. If those kids want to go out of state then they won't go there, but plenty of kids who left home to play junior hockey during/after high school like the idea of going to school close to home. Tons of NCAA players have been living hours from their family for 3+ years before playing college hockey, so living near home is a bigger draw than a lot of other college sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80 and Ridge1982

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Very exciting news!

Linden wood doesn’t quite have the facilities, weather and......”scenery” in comparison to AZ St.

kidding aside, very excited to hear that, STL has too much talent to not field a D1 program

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Somehow I just noticed this thread in here. Without going through and linking all the tweets from the individual players here is a comprehensive list of all the players that have committed for next season. As of this post 5/16/21 it does not include the current ACHA D1 rostered players that will be playing next season too.

Lindenwood Univ. at eliteprospects.com

Also here is a recent article on where things stand from College Hockey News at the beginning of May Lindenwood Hoping For Summer Announcement on D-I Move

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Another domino in the clues pointing toward this being a hybrid season for Lindenwood, is a pair of late January exhibition games against Arizona State. A nice heads up in case anyone is looking to get a break from winter weather here in St. Louis.

E5pT_DSVIAAQZHF

Reactions: Ridge1982

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Sorry to bump but this weekend is starting to be promoted. Air Force (NCAA D1) comes into Centene for a pair of games against the Lions.

I would also recommend if your interested in following the Lions the weekend of September 24-26 the NCAA D1 women's team hosts defending National Champion Wisconsin, and the men's team hosts in state rival Missouri State.

I'm not sure on what ticket prices will be this season given the TBA status of their elevation to NCAA D1 on, but in the past the men's games have been $5 per person and the women's games have been free.

E9CqfgHXoAA6EqS

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'll bump this thread one more time for now regarding this weekend's games against Air Force. I promise for the last time until anything more newsworthy pops up about the program.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->