OT: OT: Lets Go Cardinals! (All Baseball Talk Here) Part 2

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Combo of shitty team and high parking/concession prices, this isn’t surprising.

HOPEFULLY it’s an eye opening experience for the Dewitts, but we’ll see I guess. Not very optimistic.
with inflation where it has been the last few years, I would be surprised if attendance doesn't wind up down everywhere, especially for baseball which has so many more games

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
with inflation where it has been the last few years, I would be surprised if attendance doesn't wind up down everywhere, especially for baseball which has so many more games
Cardinals attendance is down, but it's still 6th in the league, so they're not exactly hurting too much there.

Yet.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
A ton of tickets have been sold, they're in the bank so attendance will probably look good on paper for a while. The question is how walk-up sales go and how physical attendance looks, especially if this team starts trending more toward 71-91 (the current pace) and less toward even 85 wins (which right now won't get us into the playoffs, and probably still won't by the end of the season).

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
A ton of tickets have been sold, they're in the bank so attendance will probably look good on paper for a while. The question is how walk-up sales go and how physical attendance looks, especially if this team starts trending more toward 71-91 (the current pace) and less toward even 85 wins (which right now won't get us into the playoffs, and probably still won't by the end of the season).
I saw an article ticket that said resale tickets are way down too.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Over the last half dozen years or more, what can we say this front office is good at? They aren't a top 10 team in drafting/developing or trading, and they don't spend the payroll they have effectively. The Goldy and Arenada trades were huge wins in terms of what we got vs what we gave up, but we've been coasting off those trades rather than capitalizing off of them for so long that we're now clearly seeing how little additional value has been brought into the organization in years.
I really think this gets to the core of it, and why people are staying away. For a number of years the front office was truly ahead of the game and one of the smarter ones out there. The problem is, everyone else caught up and the Cardinals seemingly haven’t realized it or adjusted in a meaningful way. They hype prospects up but can’t develop them like they once did. They waste money FA and are addicted to the nostalgia plays. They had a wonderful run but you can only trade on that for so long. I also think - not entirely unfairly - that people catch a whiff of arrogance and smugness from Mo, Dewitt and the lot, and that turns a lot of people off, particularly in a city like STL.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I haven't been to a cardinals game since I was about 17 I think, I got a signed Luis alicea bat. I can't imagine sitting in the sun to watch baseball, especially a losing team.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
438215646_2510537942459361_4993069939383158977_n.jpg

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I’d also add that according to govt stats, credit card debt is at a record high and 8 out of 10 people are living paycheck to paycheck. Maybe people aren’t willing to pay hundreds of dollars to see the Cards any more.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm so frustrated and done with this team's mismanagement.

Arenado's not going to stay for this shitshow and will likely ask for a trade. Goldschmidt's likely - and should be - gone after this year. The starting pitching, Gray aside, is awful. The bullpen is overworked, not used, and a lot of them are hurt. The offense is as offensive as I've seen in my almost-thirty-three years watching this team. Five home runs. From Contreras. Who leads the team. Honestly, if the NL wasn't forced to send a player from every team to the All-Star game, I don't even think we'd have any players there.

Even the younger players (Walker, Scott, Winn, Gorman, Liberatore, Thompson, Herrera) have struggled because - quite simply - we either don't play them (Having Fermin and the corpse of Brandon Crawford play over Winn is in-f***ing-excusable. Throwing in Jose Fermin as a replacement bat for Gorman in the Tigers game when we were down was un-f***ing-forgivable.) or we don't know how to coach them (Walker, Liberatore, Thompson) or they're simply not ready (Scott, Saggese, our younger pitchers). Edman might change things, but it's going to be far too late, given that he's still struggling hitting from the right side off the tee. Don't know why the f*** we signed Carpenter.

I say we blow it up, deal Arenado for elite young pitching (for example, the Dodgers might pay a lot for a third baseman in Arenado, and he's expressed interest there before. I'd go for Nick Frasso and another younger pitcher on the Dodgers' roster - thinking Emmet Sheehan, even though he has an injury.), Goldschmidt for an elite young prospect (for example, see if Seattle's willing to deal Felnin Celestin?), deal Helsley for a good prospect (I love Helsley, it's not his fault our other pitching sucks, but he's a free agent and not going to stay with us.), see if anyone's interested in Edman (should get a solid young player or two for him). Lynn, Gibson, Mikolas, especially Matz, all of them can get the f*** off this team; I don't care if you have to give Matz away at this point. Mikolas, Gibson, and Lynn can go for lottery tickets. Contreras is being productive, but we signed him to a four-year deal when we had Herrera waiting in the wings, and his value is likely never going to be higher than it is. I'd trade him.

It's been horrific mismanagement from the top down, signing players with no potential (Fermin, Siani) or players in their mid to late thirties (the entire starting pitching staff, albeit with Gray proving me wrong, Carpenter, Crawford). Not having coaches who can coach up the younger players you have in the majors is also horrific mismanagement. So, for the love of f***ing fate, fire Marmol, Mozeliak, Girsch, the coaching staff, anyone and everyone you feel is responsible for this shitshow of management, coaching, and players. Flores can stay because he can actually draft well with what he's given.

I just...I don't know what to do with this team. They should not be this horrifically bad with all of the talent they've "supposedly" accumulated over the years.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

Arenado's not going to stay for this shitshow and will likely ask for a trade. Goldschmidt's likely - and should be - gone after this year. The starting pitching, Gray aside, is awful. The bullpen is overworked, not used, and a lot of them are hurt. The offense is as offensive as I've seen in my almost-thirty-three years watching this team. Five home runs. From Contreras. Who leads the team. Honestly, if the NL wasn't forced to send a player from every team to the All-Star game, I don't even think we'd have any players there.

Even the younger players (Walker, Scott, Winn, Gorman, Liberatore, Thompson, Herrera) have struggled because - quite simply - we either don't play them (Having Fermin and the corpse of Brandon Crawford play over Winn is in-f***ing-excusable. Throwing in Jose Fermin as a replacement bat for Gorman in the Tigers game when we were down was un-f***ing-forgivable.) or we don't know how to coach them (Walker, Liberatore, Thompson) or they're simply not ready (Scott, Saggese, our younger pitchers). Edman might change things, but it's going to be far too late, given that he's still struggling hitting from the right side off the tee. Don't know why the f*** we signed Carpenter.

I say we blow it up, deal Arenado for elite young pitching (for example, the Dodgers might pay a lot for a third baseman in Arenado, and he's expressed interest there before. I'd go for Nick Frasso and another younger pitcher on the Dodgers' roster - thinking Emmet Sheehan, even though he has an injury.), Goldschmidt for an elite young prospect (for example, see if Seattle's willing to deal Felnin Celestin?), deal Helsley for a good prospect (I love Helsley, it's not his fault our other pitching sucks, but he's a free agent and not going to stay with us.), see if anyone's interested in Edman (should get a solid young player or two for him). Lynn, Gibson, Mikolas, especially Matz, all of them can get the f*** off this team; I don't care if you have to give Matz away at this point. Mikolas, Gibson, and Lynn can go for lottery tickets. Contreras is being productive, but we signed him to a four-year deal when we had Herrera waiting in the wings, and his value is likely never going to be higher than it is. I'd trade him.

It's been horrific mismanagement from the top down, signing players with no potential (Fermin, Siani) or players in their mid to late thirties (the entire starting pitching staff, albeit with Gray proving me wrong, Carpenter, Crawford). Not having coaches who can coach up the younger players you have in the majors is also horrific mismanagement. So, for the love of f***ing fate, fire Marmol, Mozeliak, Girsch, the coaching staff, anyone and everyone you feel is responsible for this shitshow of management, coaching, and players. Flores can stay because he can actually draft well with what he's given.

I just...I don't know what to do with this team. They should not be this horrifically bad with all of the talent they've "supposedly" accumulated over the years.
And just think how the casual fan will handle this turd team.

25k crowds, low 30s on weekends will be the norm. STL loves baseball too much to totally boycott this shitfest but that hopefully will be enough of a wakeup call to fire Bowtie boy and Marmol along with any other Yes men.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011

There's a lot to break down there. First off, who gives a f*** about Arenado. The dude has one HR in his last 100 games. He's getting paid 35 million dollars, f*** him and the horse he rode in on. He was a 130ish OPS+ hitter in Colorado, since moving to STL he's been 119, 151, 109, and this year he's at 96. I hope he asks for a trade so someone else can pay him his bloated ass salary in his declining twilight years. We shoulda traded Goldy last deadline, I was pretty adamant about that. Sucks but Mo is a tool.

Second, your take on the pitching is pretty out of bed with what is actually happening on the field. Mikolas and Matz are trash, and Thompsen needs better command, hence why he's back in Springfield. Gray/Lynn/Gibson have all been really good, and the back end of our bullpen has been lights out. Kittridge, Romero, Liberatore, Fernandez, and Helsey have been incredible, and are a huge reason why we aren't completely out of the running by May 1st. Pallante and Thompson in his relief appearences have been terrible, and Gally has had some bad luck imo - I've seen him give up 3-4 home runs on well placed pitches that dudes just barrel. Dunno if it's just him getting older and losing a little zip or what. We have yet to see what Kenyon Martin can do, but if anything, this team's bullpen is currently it's biggest strength.

I am as frustrated with you about the offense as anyone. Why Wynn isn't leading off is beyond me. Why Walker decided to show off his off-season GAINS by trying to hit every ball to the moon is beyond me. Why Noot and Gorman can't seen to find the strikezone is beyond me.

All in all though, why are you surprised? This team was always supposed to hover around 500, and potentially sneak in as a second wild card. Right now, that's about where we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad