OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Toronto Star, Howard Berger, who hasn’t filed a report to air on Toronto radio since 2011, explained that he had recently made a career transition. He’s been working as a funeral director’s assistant at a mortuary.

afwhowardberger01.jpg

A beat reporter discovers an afterlife after hockey | The Star
“(The acquaintance) looked at me and said, ‘That’s got to be awfully depressing,’ ” Berger said. “And you can understand that reaction, because when you think of funerals, you think of death. The concept of death, for most people, is depressing, even though it’s as much a part of life as being born.”

But Berger doesn’t see his job in the same grim light.

“So I looked at her and I said, ‘I understand where you may be coming from, but it’s the most delightful, most meaningful work I’ve ever done in my life,’” he said. “She said, ‘Delightful work, carrying around dead bodies …’ ”

And so goes the typical skepticism. Berger, who began work at Benjamin’s Park Memorial Chapel on Steeles Avenue in November, has come to accept that there exists a certain percentage of society who find it hard to believe a job at a funeral home is the gilded road to personal fulfilment. To which he shrugs. As a man who spent the bulk of his adult life covering a star-crossed NHL team whose considerable ineptitude frequently made it an NHL punchline, you could say he is accustomed to folks making jokes about what he does for a living.

“If you want to be flippant, I guess people could say covering the Leafs after the (2004-05) lockout got me affiliated with the concept of death,” said Berger, 59, speaking of a stretch in which the Maple Leafs missed the playoffs 10 of 11 years. “I don’t like to make light of it. But we did enough post-mortems on hockey seasons that it was a natural progression to this job.”

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Any good bars/clubs/lounge on a sunday in DT Toronto?

sorry of this is the wrong place for this question!

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Are you asking for this Sunday in particular, or in general?

If in general, then the last Sunday of every month, Kensington Market is closed to cars, and has a great atmosphere with lots of good little bars/Mexican places.

If today specifically... can’t go wrong with the distilllery district. Or you can hit up the Amsterdam brew pub, down by the lake. Good food/drink/patio

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm looking forward to the US Open (golf). I read some article about a software program that has been doing well picking winners of the majors recently (including picking Reed for the Masters). According to this program, Tiger Woods will make a run at the Open this year but ultimately fall short. Hey if he's in the mix going into the last day (or even better the last 9 holes) it'll be more fun then you can shake a stick at. Hope to see this happen!

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm looking forward to the US Open (golf). I read some article about a software program that has been doing well picking winners of the majors recently (including picking Reed for the Masters). According to this program, Tiger Woods will make a run at the Open this year but ultimately fall short. Hey if he's in the mix going into the last day (or even better the last 9 holes) it'll be more fun then you can shake a stick at. Hope to see this happen!
I agree. Unfortunately I cancelled cable a while ago and have no way of watching this (that I know of). But Tiger is always exciting to watch.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Looking forward to it as well. Tiger is playing like old Tiger recently.
Golf is my favorite game to play/watch after hockey and baseball and I'm too old for hockey and baseball anymore.

I just golfed this past weekend in this beautiful place.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Golf is my favorite game to play/watch after hockey and baseball and I'm too old for hockey and baseball anymore.

Wow that is gorgeous, where is that?

I haven't played in about 8 years. I was never any good but I broke 100 a few times but I'm afraid I'd be more like 130 now LOL. I was thinking of either giving it a try again, going to play 9 holes some time this summer or just giving my clubs away, still mulling it over but this pic reminds me of why golf can be so great so maybe I'll give it another try.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Wow that is gorgeous, where is that?

I haven't played in about 8 years. I was never any good but I broke 100 a few times but I'm afraid I'd be more like 130 now LOL. I was thinking of either giving it a try again, going to play 9 holes some time this summer or just giving my clubs away, still mulling it over but this pic reminds me of why golf can be so great so maybe I'll give it another try.

Highland Links Golf Course, Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Highland Links Golf Course, Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia

NS that figures. I've wanted to visit the Maritime provinces for years now, definitely hope to get out there sooner as opposed to later. Just beautiful!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Beautiful, I'm a big fan of tree lined courses.
Sadly where I am there are many nice, well maintained, tough courses but the beauty is always lacking.
Playing here Sunday, Welcome to Dragon's Fire Golf Club it's one of the prettier courses and has an uphill 600 yard par 5.
Scorecard - Dragon's Fire Golf Club

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Beautiful, I'm a big fan of tree lined courses.
Sadly where I am there are many nice, well maintained, tough courses but the beauty is always lacking.
Playing here Sunday, Welcome to Dragon's Fire Golf Club it's one of the prettier courses and has an uphill 600 yard par 5.
Scorecard - Dragon's Fire Golf Club

I would have trouble on 600 yard par 5. The Highland Links course is a true 18 hole links style course, one 18 hole loop as opposed to two 9 hole loops and you rarely get a flat lie except on the greens.
Another beauty in Cape Breton is Cabot Links near Inverness.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I would have trouble on 600 yard par 5. The Highland Links course is a true 18 hole links style course, one 18 hole loop as opposed to two 9 hole loops and you rarely get a flat lie except on the greens.
Another beauty in Cape Breton is Cabot Links near Inverness.
I do tend to struggle on Links style courses. I find the trees help me frame the shot, I tend to focus better.
An East Coast golf trip is on the list.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

That blue sky is beautiful.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Looks like Shinnecock is winning. It is enjoyable at times watching these guys shoot 80.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Looks like Shinnecock is winning. It is enjoyable at times watching these guys shoot 80.

Yeah I just looked at the tee times this morning and though wow, that group with Spieth, McIlroy and Mickelson should be fun to watch. :laugh::laugh:

I'm taping it and leaving work not too long after Tiger tees off. Hope he does well, fingers crossed.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah I just looked at the tee times this morning and though wow, that group with Spieth, McIlroy and Mickelson should be fun to watch. :laugh::laugh:

I'm taping it and leaving work not too long after Tiger tees off. Hope he does well, fingers crossed.
He's on the first hole, want an update?
:laugh: ....oh oh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad