OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There's probably a few whiskey drinkers here so I thought I'd ask for some ideas. I used to drink single malts a fair bit, not a ton though, I probably haven't tried more than maybe a dozen or so different ones in my entire life. For the last 15 years or so, I kind of got away from it but was drinking bourbon for a while and I like that a lot as well. So anyway, I'm starting to get back into it in a small way and thought you guys could give me some suggestions as to what I might try.

So far I think my collection will start looking something like this:

Bourbon
===========
Buffalo Trace - like this a lot and a very reasonable price, I think this will be my go to Bourbon

Elijah Craig - also like this a lot and it's my wife's favourite. She'll only drink about 2 shots a year but still ...

Eagle Rare - I loved this stuff but last time I checked it's no longer available at the LCBO, if I find it though I'll buy it

Jack Daniels - just because :) also good for adding to a pot of chile

Scotch
==============
Lagavulin - pricey but the best I've ever had, just love this stuff

Laphroaig quarter cask - bought a bottle a few months ago, very impressive!

Laphroaig 10 yr old - I may have tried this 20 years ago, not sure but the quarter cask was really good and from internet reviews this one should be good as well

Dalmore - had a shot at a buddy's place a while back and liked this a lot and I don't want my entire collection to be heavy and peaty so this was a really nice change

Aberfeldy - for the price I was very impressed with this. Simple, straightfoward, not so deep and complex etc. but yeah, very smooth, would like to find a few more in this price range

Dalwhinney - I used to like this a lot and I think my wife would like the honey taste of it as well

Balvenie Doublewood 12yr? - not sure but I think it was 12 year. Another one I haven't had in ages but I remember thinking this was really good value. Not sure if I'll get this one again though, might be more interesting to discover something new.

Any suggestions appreciated.

:cheers:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
There's probably a few whiskey drinkers here so I thought I'd ask for some ideas. I used to drink single malts a fair bit, not a ton though, I probably haven't tried more than maybe a dozen or so different ones in my entire life. For the last 15 years or so, I kind of got away from it but was drinking bourbon for a while and I like that a lot as well. So anyway, I'm starting to get back into it in a small way and thought you guys could give me some suggestions as to what I might try.

Bourbon
===========
Buffalo Trace - like this a lot and a very reasonable price, I think this will be my go to Bourbon

Elijah Craig - also like this a lot and it's my wife's favourite. She'll only drink about 2 shots a year but still ...

Eagle Rare - I loved this stuff but last time I checked it's no longer available at the LCBO, if I find it though I'll buy it

Scotch
==============

Laphroaig 10 yr old - I may have tried this 20 years ago, not sure but the quarter cask was really good and from internet reviews this one should be good as well

Dalmore - had a shot at a buddy's place a while back and liked this a lot and I don't want my entire collection to be heavy and peaty so this was a really nice change

Aberfeldy - for the price I was very impressed with this. Simple, straightfoward, not so deep and complex etc. but yeah, very smooth, would like to find a few more in this price range

Dalwhinney - I used to like this a lot and I think my wife would like the honey taste of it as well

Balvenie Doublewood 12yr? - not sure but I think it was 12 year. Another one I haven't had in ages but I remember thinking this was really good value. Not sure if I'll get this one again though, might be more interesting to discover something new.

JD is bunk...

Go with Maker's Mark for your less expensive bourbons. Much better flavour and finish. I just used 6oz of it to make a Chocolate-bourbon stout over the holidays. Absolutely delicious additive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Bourbon
===========

Scotch
==============

I'm more of a rye (Forty Creek) drinker (who recently discovered Martinis), but do enjoy Glenlivet. SO much cheaper in the States I have a hard time forking out for it here sometimes.

cmorly

Oct 14, 2010
Toronto, Ont
I have been searching for this video for awhile now. Looking for the video when Babcock was first hired by the Leafs, he was walking through the ACC (I think??) and he stopped to look at a big picture on the wall of the '67 team with the cup.

Would appreciate any help. Love that vid.. he stops and looks at it for a few seconds and I would love to know what he was thinking during that time.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I have been searching for this video for awhile now. Looking for the video when Babcock was first hired by the Leafs, he was walking through the ACC (I think??) and he stopped to look at a big picture on the wall of the '67 team with the cup.

Would appreciate any help. Love that vid.. he stops and looks at it for a few seconds and I would love to know what he was thinking during that time.

"Look at all'a those good pros...."

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and cmorly

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Here it is and skip to the 1:50 mark of the video for that scene.

Reactions: cmorly

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
JD is bunk...

Go with Maker's Mark for your less expensive bourbons. Much better flavour and finish. I just used 6oz of it to make a Chocolate-bourbon stout over the holidays. Absolutely delicious additive.

Makers Mark - that's one I haven't gotten to trying yet but I will get to it, thanks.

I'm more of a rye (Forty Creek) drinker (who recently discovered Martinis), but do enjoy Glenlivet. SO much cheaper in the States I have a hard time forking out for it here sometimes.

Haha yeah, that's true I'm sure for many different types of alcohol.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Bourbon
===========

Scotch
==============

I'm a beer guy myself but I've heard this place produces excellent product. Glenora Distillary in Mabou, Cape Breton, N.S. I believe there premium stuff is called Glen Breton.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
So I didn't want to create an entirely new thread about this, but Marc Savard has a video with the William Nylander and Mitchell Marner tape jobs in it. Thought you might like it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nope, didn't know such a thing existed but your post made me google it. Would you recommend it? I'm not really a fan of rye in general but I like to keep an open mind.

I really like it. Whether you drink it straight, on the rocks, or with coke (to me its the best rye to use for rye and cokes) it’s really solid.

Sometimes tough to find though

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I really like it. Whether you drink it straight, on the rocks, or with coke (to me its the best rye to use for rye and cokes) it’s really solid.

Sometimes tough to find though

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really a fan of rye but I'll probably pick a bottle one of these if only to offer to guests. And I'd definitely rather try something new instead of the usual CC or CR.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not really a fan of rye but I'll probably pick a bottle one of these if only to offer to guests. And I'd definitely rather try something new instead of the usual CC or CR.

That’s typically why I use it for. It’s a good conversation starter for when you have guests or when you are going somewhere for a dinner. It’s kinda surprising how many people don’t know about it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That’s typically why I use it for. It’s a good conversation starter for when you have guests or when you are going somewhere for a dinner. It’s kinda surprising how many people don’t know about it.

It does sound like a good conversation starter. And I knew he has wines but whiskey was news to me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
His wine is terrible in my experience.

Why am I not surprised? That's maybe harsh, I wouldn't have necessarily expected it to be terrible, just unremarkable. My guess would be that you're paying for the name and there's zero reason to do so.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why am I not surprised? That's maybe harsh, I wouldn't have necessarily expected it to be terrible, just unremarkable. My guess would be that you're paying for the name and there's zero reason to do so.
Good way to put it and "terrible" may have been harsh.
I realize that wine is very much a "too each their own" kind of thing, so maybe it's just me.
I don't know that I've ever really enjoyed an Ontario wine though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I realize that wine is very much a "too each their own" kind of thing, so maybe it's just me.

From what I've heard Ontario wines are a lot better than they used to be, don't really know though.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

I'm really not into Niagara region wines. We have a 7 or 8 wineries down where I'm at, and there's a few really good ones, but it seems like they all have 1 style they excel at, and a bunch of others that are drinkable, but unspectacular.

Breweries, on the other hand, we have down to a science. Also, if you get your hands on anything by Wolfhead Distilleries out of Amherstburg, Ont., give it a whirl. Craft whiskey, vodka, and liquers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad