OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread July 2018

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Yeah, I'm just messing. I almost moved there for a job 25/30 years ago.
Turned it down, couldn't bring myself to do it.
It's honestly a city thats not too big, not too small just right, but if you are looking for events and what not...not gonna happen but its a pretty chill, and clean city. There are still more leaf fans than sens fan LOL

Reactions: kb

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Man! It’s a great city! Not too big/busy like Toronto, but still lots to do!

I've never been there, but if I was to migrate to Canada (being from Europe), I probably would give Ottawa a shot. It's pretty close to Toronto and I can imagine the houses etc. over there will be a lot cheaper (compared to Toronto).

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I've never been there, but if I was to migrate to Canada (being from Europe), I probably would give Ottawa a shot. It's pretty close to Toronto and I can imagine the houses etc. over there will be a lot cheaper (compared to Toronto).

It's much closer to Montreal, great city with a European vibe.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has a favourite points card, or have opinions on the best points card available in Canada/Ontario...

Right now, I collect Air Miles, Canadian Tire, ESSO and various car-rental/hotel/flight points... I only have the 1% back MasterCard plan, and feel like I could be getting more back for compensation...

Just curious what other people out there like to use...

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has a favourite points card, or have opinions on the best points card available in Canada/Ontario...

Right now, I collect Air Miles, Canadian Tire, ESSO and various car-rental/hotel/flight points... I only have the 1% back MasterCard plan, and feel like I could be getting more back for compensation...

TD first class visa infinite and the BMO world elite are the best in my opinion

not a fan of Airmiles, but you can get the BMO world elite airmile version too.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005

In terms of credit cards, it depends on whether you're willing to use fee based cards or if you want to stick with a no-fee card. Fee based cards will generally have a higher cash back amount if you're willing to pay the $100 a year or whatever it costs. They generally also have higher income requirements.

If you want no fee cards, you can look into Tangerine which is 2% cash back on two or three categories of your choosing and 0.5% on everything else.
Also, look into something like the Rogers World Elite card which is something like 1.75% on almost everything

As for points card, if you do a lot of your own grocery shopping, look into PC Optimum.
I believe Air Miles is one of the lower value points systems. I haven't done the math but it's typically hard to rack up.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
thank you, much appreciated. And worst case scenario I'll have a diamond investment I guess...

Honestly, if the love is there both ways than it really doesn't matter what you do and if you f..k it up, it'll just mean that you'll have something to laugh about together in the years to come. So ... follow your heart is my non-ring-expert advice I guess. :)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Honestly, if the love is there both ways than it really doesn't matter what you do and if you f..k it up, it'll just mean that you'll have something to laugh about together in the years to come. So ... follow your heart is my non-ring-expert advice I guess. :)
I'm lucky in that she has very low material expectations. I've been intentionally coy about my feelings towards marriage (which are quite positive really) and she's been married once before, she's always said that she was good either way because she's been there before. I'm getting the impression that she's starting to feel like she wants to get married even though she hasn't said so because of comments like "I'd be happy with a ring from a crackerjack box" when talking about other girls complaining about their rings, and she doesn't know I got her Dad's blessing like a month ago before the hints leaked out, so I think she'll be pleased no matter what.

I'm more concerned about navigating the diamond market, which is nothing short of a cartel-driven racket

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm lucky in that she has very low material expectations. I've been intentionally coy about my feelings towards marriage (which are quite positive really) and she's been married once before, she's always said that she was good either way because she's been there before. I'm getting the impression that she's starting to feel like she wants to get married even though she hasn't said so because of comments like "I'd be happy with a ring from a crackerjack box" when talking about other girls complaining about their rings, and she doesn't know I got her Dad's blessing like a month ago before the hints leaked out, so I think she'll be pleased no matter what.

I'm more concerned about navigating the diamond market, which is nothing short of a cartel-driven racket

Sounds like everything's good then. I don't know anything about the diamond market but hopefully some others can chime in.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I've had a couple of custom things made here for my wife, didn't feel like I was taken advantage of.
Diamondcraft Custom Jewellery Boutique - Oakville, Ontario - Jewelry & Watches Store | Facebook

First engagement ring I bought was from Spence Diamonds | Diamond and jewelry retailer in Vancouver, Langley, Calgary, Edmonton, Scarborough, Mississauga, Vaughan . You can pick out the style and then buy the diamond seperate, also have matching bands.
They record the value and then if you ever want to upgrade you can take the diamond back and they credit towards a larger one. I did this with earrings once or twice.
They do a good job of explaining the 4c's and show you various diamonds so you can see the difference. Even if you don't buy there it's not a bad education to receive before you look elsewhere.

Good luck.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I've had a couple of custom things made here for my wife, didn't feel like I was taken advantage of.
Diamondcraft Custom Jewellery Boutique - Oakville, Ontario - Jewelry & Watches Store | Facebook

First engagement ring I bought was from Spence Diamonds | Diamond and jewelry retailer in Vancouver, Langley, Calgary, Edmonton, Scarborough, Mississauga, Vaughan . You can pick out the style and then buy the diamond seperate, also have matching bands.
They record the value and then if you ever want to upgrade you can take the diamond back and they credit towards a larger one. I did this with earrings once or twice.
They do a good job of explaining the 4c's and show you various diamonds so you can see the difference. Even if you don't buy there it's not a bad education to receive before you look elsewhere.

Good luck.
thank you, appreciate it

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
took my wife to Spence as well.

they treated us very well.

Interestingly enough, you start out with a small pillow for you (the guy) to pick out a bunch of potential rings, and same with the wife.

Not a single of the 7 rings i picked out was selected by my wife for the "2nd round" of choices.

Shows what I know about what my wife wanted in her ring.

Some folks get really hung up on not surprising the wife with a ring....but that is old school. Things are changing. I'm very happy my wife picked out her ring. She is as well.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
took my wife to Spence as well.

they treated us very well.

Interestingly enough, you start out with a small pillow for you (the guy) to pick out a bunch of potential rings, and same with the wife.

Not a single of the 7 rings i picked out was selected by my wife for the "2nd round" of choices.

Shows what I know about what my wife wanted in her ring.

Some folks get really hung up on not surprising the wife with a ring....but that is old school. Things are changing. I'm very happy my wife picked out her ring. She is as well.
I'm thinking about buying the diamond, proposing with a temporary ring then setting up a ring shopping event with her after...have to check of that's bad luck or not

I've kept it all secret to this point and have the day planned to do it so I'll probably just keep the secret theme going. She doesn't contain her emotions well, so it will be fun to see her get really excited (or at least I hope she'll get be excited)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
we were on our way to a Pearl Jam concert in TO (I'm from the Hammer as well).

As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, she started crying.

It was a great experience.
Nice, I'm still working on the little details but we're going to a hotel that we've intended to for a while on our 5 Year anniversary in November so that will be the day and now I just have to figure out where I'm going to actually pop the question

Also, nice to see more Hammertonians, hell of a city

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Optimum and Aeroplan are our go to ones. I travel a lot for work so using Aeroplan allows me to rack up points to take the family on some of my trips (went to France and England last year).

As Aeroplan goes through changes, I’m considering moving to a cash back card.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA

I have the Dividend Elite @ CIBC and get 4% cash back on gas and groceries with 1% cash back on everything else. I usually get a nice amount back each year.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Nice, I'm still working on the little details but we're going to a hotel that we've intended to for a while on our 5 Year anniversary in November so that will be the day and now I just have to figure out where I'm going to actually pop the question

Also, nice to see more Hammertonians, hell of a city
Sam's Queenston Bakery should be a historical landmark. Amazing bakery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad