OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread July 2018

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
After careful consideration Leafs board mods have decided that we will allow an OT thread.

This is not the Leafs Lounge

The Leafs Lounge is gone. That thread was closed because certain posters were unable to stay within the rules of hfboards.

All hfboards rule apply to this thread. No exceptions. They are found here. I suggest you review

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

This thread will be shut down if any violations occur. Discuss whatever you want within the boundaries of hfboards rules. The leash is short, so I would suggest not pushing the limits of what we allow. As this thread serves no real purpose in relation to hockey, it creates additional modding responsibilities for mods, for that reason we will shut it down if it becomes problematic. Also note infractions, thread bans, and forum bans are possible for individuals breaking these rules, as well as the thread going away.

We don't want to have to do that. So please don't make us.

Continue.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
So I've been living in Saskatchewan for 8 years now having moved from New-Brunswick and lately I've really been feeling like I want to move back home. I moved to Sask for work and there definitely isn't more of that in NB but I miss rivers and hills and trees and such. I can't stand the politics in the east coast.

I'm not a kid anymore like when I left NB and I've got 8 years of working in the oilfield but I'm pretty torn between remaining in Sask for work but with a higher cost of living or moving back home where my family is, work for less but have a lower cost of living. :help:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So I've been living in Saskatchewan for 8 years now having moved from New-Brunswick and lately I've really been feeling like I want to move back home. I moved to Sask for work and there definitely isn't more of that in NB but I miss rivers and hills and trees and such. I can't stand the politics in the east coast.

I'm not a kid anymore like when I left NB and I've got 8 years of working in the oilfield but I'm pretty torn between remaining in Sask for work but with a higher cost of living or moving back home where my family is, work for less but have a lower cost of living. :help:

I moved to Calgary 10 years ago, had no family there, and had the same vibes (despite having a ton of fun and great friends out west I missed the cottage life and my family) ... Decided to make the tough call and move back, taking less money .. Luckily for me I met a girl out west who is from Ontario with a similar upbringing. We want our kids to be close with our family.

What I can tell you is that the grass may not be greener. It depends on how happy you are with your situation out there. Because in reality things back home have changed - family will be there, but friends will have gotten caught up in their own lives and so it's hard to jump right back into what things were. That's my struggle here, now, is that I am having a tougher time re-connecting with old friends.

I can honestly say I was happier, overall, out west but that's for a lot of reasons that would likely change once the wife and I have a family. In essence I sacrificed a few more good years out west to help settle myself better in the long run back home.

My two cents. If you want to chat more, I'm more than willing to. Definitely know the struggle and those feels.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

I hear ya, a lot of Atlantic area folks have a similar story to tell, I'm one who's been there and done that, it's a tough call but home is home and I came back after about 10 years in Alberta, and have no regrets. Missed the ocean big time and had had no idea I would, until it was gone! I loved Alberta too but..

Reactions: JadedLeaf

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I moved to Calgary 10 years ago, had no family there, and had the same vibes (despite having a ton of fun and great friends out west I missed the cottage life and my family) ... Decided to make the tough call and move back, taking less money .. Luckily for me I met a girl out west who is from Ontario with a similar upbringing. We want our kids to be close with our family.

What I can tell you is that the grass may not be greener. It depends on how happy you are with your situation out there. Because in reality things back home have changed - family will be there, but friends will have gotten caught up in their own lives and so it's hard to jump right back into what things were. That's my struggle here, now, is that I am having a tougher time re-connecting with old friends.

I can honestly say I was happier, overall, out west but that's for a lot of reasons that would likely change once the wife and I have a family. In essence I sacrificed a few more good years out west to help settle myself better in the long run back home.

My two cents. If you want to chat more, I'm more than willing to. Definitely know the struggle and those feels.

I hear ya, a lot of Atlantic area folks have a similar story to tell, I'm one who's been there and done that, it's a tough call but home is home and I came back after about 10 years in Alberta, and have no regrets. Missed the ocean big time and had had no idea I would, until it was gone! I loved Alberta too but..

Yeah I really love Saskatchewan as well. Love the government here, the work opportunities here relative to NB, I even love the prairies but it's not home. When I came out here I only intended to stay for a few years and go back home. That was almost a decade ago now and in the past year or so I've found myself really missing some of the things I took for granted.

I used to live in Bathurst right at the north of the province so I lived right on the coast. I used to not like the ocean, it stunk lol. Didn't care for lobster or fish or seafood since it was so plentiful in NB I was almost sick of it. The last year or so I've been craving sea food and good poutine so frigging bad lol. Lakes, rivers, trees, hills etc. I was helping a friend move the other day and to pay me he bought a 1lbs bag of lobster meat shipped from Halifax. He paid $55 for a pound but that was the best meal I've had in a while.

I'm not really going back to hang out with old friends so much as family. Most of my friends that I had at the time have got families now or have moved away but just being in the same province as family sounds really good to me now. I don't plan on moving back to my home town though, I plan on moving more to the woodstock area for now which is more in the south west of the province closer to the main boarder but Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton are all withing 2 hours away. If there's anything I've learned living in the prairies is that a two hour drive is nothing lol.

The odd part is that I left NB when I was 18. Technically an adult but not really lol. Even though it's home, this would be the first time I really try and make it work in NB as an adult, with all the fun stuff that brings lol.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018

Do as Tavares...come home! lol

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Anyone like the new Drake album and the new stuff Childish Gambino put out?

I'm thinking about going to gambino's concert anyone ever been to one?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah I really love Saskatchewan as well. Love the government here, the work opportunities here relative to NB, I even love the prairies but it's not home. When I came out here I only intended to stay for a few years and go back home. That was almost a decade ago now and in the past year or so I've found myself really missing some of the things I took for granted.

I used to live in Bathurst right at the north of the province so I lived right on the coast. I used to not like the ocean, it stunk lol. Didn't care for lobster or fish or seafood since it was so plentiful in NB I was almost sick of it. The last year or so I've been craving sea food and good poutine so frigging bad lol. Lakes, rivers, trees, hills etc. I was helping a friend move the other day and to pay me he bought a 1lbs bag of lobster meat shipped from Halifax. He paid $55 for a pound but that was the best meal I've had in a while.

I'm not really going back to hang out with old friends so much as family. Most of my friends that I had at the time have got families now or have moved away but just being in the same province as family sounds really good to me now. I don't plan on moving back to my home town though, I plan on moving more to the woodstock area for now which is more in the south west of the province closer to the main boarder but Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton are all withing 2 hours away. If there's anything I've learned living in the prairies is that a two hour drive is nothing lol.

The odd part is that I left NB when I was 18. Technically an adult but not really lol. Even though it's home, this would be the first time I really try and make it work in NB as an adult, with all the fun stuff that brings lol.

Well it sounds like you have the right reasons to want to go home. Nothing worse than trying to re-live old glory days or anything along those lines.

I would definitely plan it out in terms of work, where you want to live, what's the best situation for you to be in and try to bank some cash to give you a head start and leverage that plan. Basically form an exit strategy that you can capitalize on your better income now and such.

Don't rush the process, even if it's still a year or two out, it could be still worthwhile

Reactions: JadedLeaf

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Well it sounds like you have the right reasons to want to go home. Nothing worse than trying to re-live old glory days or anything along those lines.

I would definitely plan it out in terms of work, where you want to live, what's the best situation for you to be in and try to bank some cash to give you a head start and leverage that plan. Basically form an exit strategy that you can capitalize on your better income now and such.

Don't rush the process, even if it's still a year or two out, it could be still worthwhile
You know, I think I'm going to move back within the month. I'm between jobs at the moment but I've got enough financial security to last me about 6 months without using e.i or anything. I feel like if I don't do it soon I'm either going to find a job here that I'm going to have a hard time quitting. Financial reasons aren't the reason I want to go back obviously, for my own sake and mental health I just need to go back to a slower pace of life for a while. If it doesn't work out I can always come back. I did it once when I was a lot younger and dumber, I could do it again. There are two friends that I will really miss but it's fairly easy to keep it touch through snap chap or facebook now a days.

It's difficult to explain unless you've lived in the maritimes, perhaps Ontario is like this as well is some places but life moves slower in the maritimes. It's strange, that's why I left there when I was 18 and it's the reason I want to return when I'm 27

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Was looking at the tickets for Leafs v Penguins as I want to fly over and maybe see a game.

How many arms and legs would I have to give to see it? Was like £300 cheapest resale at the moment, when do tickets go on sale - would there be cheaper options?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Was looking at the tickets for Leafs v Penguins as I want to fly over and maybe see a game.

How many arms and legs would I have to give to see it? Was like £300 cheapest resale at the moment, when do tickets go on sale - would there be cheaper options?
Highly doubt they would drop in price. Cheapest option is to wait until the game starts and then buy from scalpers but not a lot of people like to do that because it isn't guaranteed. A quick look showed that theres some tickets in the upper bowl for around 200 USD on stubhub.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This is just nuts. People cannot enjoy a quiet evening out without having some idiot play God and decide who lives and dies?

We are devolving so badly right now. We don’t talk to each other anymore unless it’s to yell at or denigrate, or now shoot at each other. Just pathetic.

Condolences to the families who have been impacted. Our world has gone nuts.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Gun violence has sky rocketed lately....glad I moved a touch North. Toronto and the immediate surroundings areas have been rough in the last 2-3 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad