News Article: OT John Herdman leaving as manager for Canada

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That doesn’t seem to be concrete.

It also doesn’t seem to be nothing. That’s pretty strong pressure on Canada Soccer

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Seems only semi-credible but I feel he maybe topped out with this side and it's the right time to bring in someone who can take them to the next level in 2024 and 26

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
weird you would think he would get a head coaching gig in Europe and make the big money

dont think NZF is gonna be a big payday. Just following his passion i guess

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
New Zealand would be a weird move downwards for his career but I guess money talks and we all know the CSA is cheap as hell.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
New Zealand would be a weird move downwards for his career but I guess money talks and we all know the CSA is cheap as hell.

As someone who lived in NZ for a few years, they’re probably even cheaper than Canada with this stuff. Especially for soccer, which is even further down the totem pole there than in Canada.

He lived in NZ for a decade and his son has been playing for the NZ U-20s so I’d think it was a personal move if he left … possibly to help further his son’s career?

In any case, weird. I was worried he’d leave, but for big money in Europe, not a mediocre gig like this.

Reactions: Red

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I think his son is currently a Whitecaps prospect with the academy but playing for NZ-U20. I'd have to think the MLS is better for his potential career than the NZ league in terms of the level. But yeah, I don't get it. Maybe family stuff, maybe just a part of getting a potentially better contract from the CSA.

I didn't think he was going to be the guy to take us to 2026 but I think the program would benefit from having him for another year or two. He was especially good at getting dual nationals to commit and I have no confidence that the CSA will replace him with anyone competent.

The article is written weirdly. This part doesn't actually make it seem all that certain.

Former Football Ferns coach John Herdman has been identified as the preferred candidate to become the next coach of the All Whites.

Newshub understands the 47-year-old has agreed terms, although contracts haven't been signed and his appointment cannot yet be considered a done deal.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I am going to bet this was a move that the CSA probably advised for him to take. I think the CSA really soured on him during the latter part of 2022. Now, it's really difficult to expect results against two semi-finalists and a 2nd ranked nation, but the matter in which they lost was concerning. I always thought Canada was going to seek out a new manager before 2026.

There are some issues that have been evident with Herdmans managing ability, especially after a 11 year sample size. His ability to adjust formations and make tactical changes in-game is a major issue; the other is his reluctance to really hold players accountable or make the necessary subs when a player is clearly having an off-day. Herdman is a fantastic motivator and can get players to buy into their own hype, but the truth is, that comes with being too much of a players coach.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I am going to bet this was a move that the CSA probably advised for him to take. I think the CSA really soured on him during the latter part of 2022. Now, it's really difficult to expect results against two semi-finalists and a 2nd ranked nation, but the matter in which they lost was concerning. I always thought Canada was going to seek out a new manager before 2026.

There are some issues that have been evident with Herdmans managing ability, especially after a 11 year sample size. His ability to adjust formations and make tactical changes in-game is a major issue; the other is his reluctance to really hold players accountable or make the necessary subs when a player is clearly having an off-day. Herdman is a fantastic motivator and can get players to buy into their own hype, but the truth is, that comes with being too much of a players coach.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. Herdman has performed miracles. Now there's just way too much expectation on the team. Quite frankly, the Canadian squad is not talented enough outside of Davies, Estaquio, David and Larin. Borjan was clearly not up to speed and it was evident he had a really slow reaction times compared to top goalies around the world.

Sure you can find another coach that's more defensively sound, but than again how did Canada get in the WC in the first place? They played an attacking style.

And no, we're not Morocco. We're already punching above our weight.

Reactions: Lindgren

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. Herdman has performed miracles. Now there's just way too much expectation on the team. Quite frankly, the Canadian squad is not talented enough outside of Davies, Estaquio, David and Larin. Borjan was clearly not up to speed and it was evident he had a really slow reaction times compared to top goalies around the world.

Sure you can find another coach that's more defensively sound, but than again how did Canada get in the WC in the first place? They played an attacking style.

Agreed. Imo This guy is a national hero and should be treated as such. I hope he stays on...the potential to find someone better is extremely low, especially with CSA track record.

Reactions: Bubbles

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think his son is currently a Whitecaps prospect with the academy but playing for NZ-U20. I'd have to think the MLS is better for his potential career than the NZ league in terms of the level. But yeah, I don't get it. Maybe family stuff, maybe just a part of getting a potentially better contract from the CSA.

I didn't think he was going to be the guy to take us to 2026 but I think the program would benefit from having him for another year or two. He was especially good at getting dual nationals to commit and I have no confidence that the CSA will replace him with anyone competent.

The article is written weirdly. This part doesn't actually make it seem all that certain.

The All Whites head coach has zero reason to live in NZ because 95 percent of the players are in the northern hemisphere and they never play international games in NZ anymore…

Nz also has a team in the A league.

Whatever is happening with this fellow or his son I could not care less, just thought I would point that out.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Agreed. Imo This guy is a national hero and should be treated as such. I hope he stays on...the potential to find someone better is extremely low, especially with CSA track record.

People need to temper their expectations. I was absolutely overjoyed when we scored a single goal at the WC! And now people are demanding to make it past the group stage! Sorry, can't make chicken salad from chicken shit.

Jose Mourinho or Zinedine Zidane couldn't coach this team further.

Our defenders are not world class, and slow as molasses. No decent midfielders outside of Estqauio.

Reactions: Red

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Search back on my posts. I had us finishing bottom of the table in that group with 0 points.

The final scores and placings (dead last) wasn't going to matter one bit at the WC. I wanted to see how this team can perform as a cohesive XI and the truth is formations went out the window and there was a general reluctance to pull out struggling players due to loyalty (Atiba). This mirrored the WNT performance at the WC in 2015, where several necessary changes in-game and with personnel on the field were never made.

Herdman has been a fantastic motivator and face for the Canadian Soccer Program. From what's been said, he's also heavily been involved in the scouting process of identifying talent both abroad and domestically. I will not question his contribution to Canadian Soccer, however there are valid questions about his in-game managing.

Anyways this sums up my thoughts. I wouldn't trust the CSA to find a replacement right now, so I do hope Herdman stays. Hopefully we see an extended look at Copa America.

Reactions: Red and tradervik

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The only way Herdman would ever consider moving for the NZ gig is $$.

Even then it seems stupid.

He just guided Canada to the WC for the 1st time in 36yrs.

The team is on the up.

Canada is co-hosting the WC in 2026.

No chance.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Ancelloti is under contract until '24 and even though he said he'd love to coach Canada, the CSA is way too cheap to afford him and has squandered and given away so much of this new money from the popularity of the team on their CSB deal.

Reactions: Bubbles

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only way Herdman would ever consider moving for the NZ gig is $$.

Even then it seems stupid.

He just guided Canada to the WC for the 1st time in 36yrs.

The team is on the up.

Canada is co-hosting the WC in 2026.

No chance.
Pretty much my sentiments......unless N.Z. threw wheel-barrows full of money at him, why leave? As co-host, Canada gains automatic entry into the 2026 WC. And their team could be even stronger than last year's squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad