OT Important finnish people in culture

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The older I get the vaguer my bonds with Finland gets, being a finn born and raosed in Sweden.

I grew up with these fantastic stories about finnish enfant terribles and angsty artists of the 50s, 60s and 70s but am clueless to the who's whos of modern Finland.
Who are the Nykänens, the Somerjokis, Goodmans and Aaltonens of the 80s, 90s and 2000s?

People involved in culture who had weird stuff happen to them or did weird things and made extremely odd choices.

Tell me! I want to continue being a finn. As my swedish girlfriend is curious about doing her Master's in Finland this might even help me to fit in should I actually move to Finland!

Thanks in advance!

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Not really sure what you are looking for. To know who is who in Finland now, just tune in to watch 2020 Independence day reception (if there is going to be one). That is always broadcasted in Swedish as well, so even if your Finnish is rusty, you can keep up.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Not really sure what you are looking for. To know who is who in Finland now, just tune in to watch 2020 Independence day reception (if there is going to be one). That is always broadcasted in Swedish as well, so even if your Finnish is rusty, you can keep up.
From my experience the independence day reception shows mostly well-mannered people. I am looking more for the ones who really, really do not blend into the crowd. My finnish is not all that rusty, my speaking however.. Can sometimes sound old timey.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
The older I get the vaguer my bonds with Finland gets, being a finn born and raosed in Sweden.

I grew up with these fantastic stories about finnish enfant terribles and angsty artists of the 50s, 60s and 70s but am clueless to the who's whos of modern Finland.
Who are the Nykänens, the Somerjokis, Goodmans and Aaltonens of the 80s, 90s and 2000s?

People involved in culture who had weird stuff happen to them or did weird things and made extremely odd choices.

Tell me! I want to continue being a finn. As my swedish girlfriend is curious about doing her Master's in Finland this might even help me to fit in should I actually move to Finland!

Thanks in advance!
I'm curious, do you have Finnish citizenship?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->