WC: OT: Hockey World Championships in May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckhead103*

I thought during an winter olympic year, the hockey world championships that begin in May would not take place...

It sounds like overkill where you are already playing a "hockey world championship" like the olympics and now you have to play another one in two months.....

That doesn't make much sense..

mhiggins27

Nov 23, 2009
Halifax, NS
www.twitter.com
It is a little much. I certainly won't be as excited about it as I have been in past years. I was lucky enough to go see two games during the 2008 World Championships in Halifax (Canada Vs Latvia and USA Vs Slovenia).

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Awesome, the USA will get a chance to redeem themselves.

:facepalm:

Anyway, I also thought that this was weird, but I guess it gives a chance for more "average" players to get some international games in. I was never a big fan of the World Championships, it's just boring overall especially considering the fact that most of the best players are still in the NHL playing in the playoffs. Olympic hockey is on a whole different level imo

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
I don't think I watched a single game last year and just a couple the year before. The NHL playoffs are way too interesting to pass up.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If only the WC were played immediately following the NHL playoffs. You probably still wouldn't get the best players going, but at least you wouldn't get the playoffs running straight up against it.

Playoffs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WC IMO

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I enjoy the World Championships. It gives some lower tier guys a chance to represent their countries, and believe me, they love it. I have a friend that has been on two teams now, and he would love to get asked to play again. He knows he won't make the Olympic team (I think), but this is a great way to give back to his country.

Also, because it is held every year, it's not quite so heartbreaking if your team finishes 6th or 7th.

Hyperkookeez*

This mean we'll probably more non-olympians at the WC's this year? Especially for Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad