OT: Girl forced off of Boys Hockey Team

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
A hockey isn't considered competitive, do you not understand that?

That's a main complaint of mine as well. It's not like she was playing on a 'AAA' team and only got a spot because her mom was a sponsor or head coach.

The coach even said she was fine and had no problems with her.

This is basically houseleague and some doofus calls out a kid for not being good enough? What a joke.

If I were the coach I'd hand the clipboard to Mr.Atis and say "Here you go. The team's all yours". Trust me, this guy would go running for the hills if he had to actually put in time to coach the team. I know the type well. They can complain and whine all day long and talk about how the coach doesn't know what he's doing. But the minute you ask them to put their money where their mouth is, they run and hide.

Besides the girl, the person I feel the most sorry for is this idiot's own son.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
She basically found out that a parent said that she wasn't good enough to play on special teams and should have ice time cut, he didn't say that she was the crappiest player of all time or that she was a overweight low life who would never amount to anything. That is what I would deem to be horrible and humiliating. Is it a shame this happened, yes. Should the dad be banned from the team, probably. Was she forced off, nope. You're 12 years old, thats an old enough age to be able to take criticism and get over it, if not, you shouldn't be playing competitive sports to be honest.

I know it sounds very mean to say that but if you play competitively, there are going to be people who are going to call you out. This girl's parents should have done some basic research to see how competitive the league she is playing in is. They should have told her the pros and cons of playing with a team full of boys when there are girls teams. And further more, they should have either shut the guy up when he mentioned that or called him out. If that was my kid, you bet he'd either been yelled at our knocked out.

Yeah with all due respect I am going to have to agree with another poster who said you don't what you are talking about because it's clear you don't when you think you can draw such a fine line in what is acceptable behavior by adults because humilating - and she was despite what you seem to think - a 12 year old child is not acceptable ever.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Atis is a *****. Kayla's right. If there was an issue, her coach would have said something. If Atis had an issue, you talk privately with the coach and let him have the final say if it's a problem or not. To go out and call a team meeting and essentially criticize a 12 year old like they can take it like an NHL player is absurd.

The best part:

Atis also raised concerns about Kayla changing in the same locker-room as the boys, stating, “there have been many ‘near miss’ incidents where the boys have almost been exposed to Kayla.”

It'd be funny if Atis's kid turned out to be gay or eventually become gay. It's amazing how he can be hypocritical by being a hardass and criticizing a 12 year old, yet be a softie and worry that a girl seeing a boy or vice versa will "damage their fragile minds."

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40
Mr. George should simply provide the girl with an apology for what he did and this will be over. Until he does so and doesn't take any responsibility for his actions, he will continue to be put down both on message boards and in the media. The GTHA should step in quick and deal with this situation.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
Mr. George should simply provide the girl with an apology for what he did and this will be over. Until he does so and doesn't take any responsibility for his actions, he will continue to be put down both on message boards and in the media. The GTHA should step in quick and deal with this situation.

I only agree with your last statement, GTHA needs to step in and ban him from hockey.

Have you read the huge blog this ass posted to defend himself? atis rambling on

This guy is so full of himself that he will never apologize or see the error of his ways. He spends so much time writing about what a great lawyer he is and all the great things he's done that you can tell he's very pleased with himself. The fact that he blames Kayla's mother is pathetic in so many ways. The guy is nothing more than a wart on the a## of society.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It wouldn't matter if...

- It wouldn't be a single-letter league.
- The move didn't come from a non-coach (lawyer).

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40

This guy is so full of himself that he will never apologize or see the error of his ways. He spends so much time writing about what a great lawyer he is and all the great things he's done that you can tell he's very pleased with himself. The fact that he blames Kayla's mother is pathetic in so many ways. The guy is nothing more than a wart on the a## of society.

Wow, such arrogance!! This guy really needs to take a good look in the mirror! Hope his son doesn't grow up to be like his dad.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I only agree with your last statement, GTHA needs to step in and ban him from hockey.

WOW. This guy is a major *******, I noticed he had something written on that page yesterday and then this morning had it taken down, I just assumed he came to his senses but NOW to see he replaced it with more clueless rambling, what a dick.

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40
Once the GTHA steps in and suspends him, that will take him down a peg or two! Geez, get over yourself Mr. George! It's not about you, it's about your actions! You chose to go outside the proper process of dealing with the matter 1) Talk to the coach 2) Talk to the GTHA board and let them deal with it. It is your actions and choices that are the subject of debate and will be the subject of a suspension because you didn't follow the rules! You'd think a lawyer would under stand proper process!

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Yeah I just sent this dick an email blasting him, I would have left him alone but these latest "ramblings" defending himself and blaming everyone but himself was just too much.

EDIT: Damn his email don't work anymore, I guess I'm not the only one to give him crap so he must have taken it down lol. Good.

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40
FROM the Ontario Hockey Federation website:

ONTARIO HOCKEY FEDERATION
CODE OF CONDUCT

This Code of Conduct identifies the standard of behavior which is expected of all Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF) Members, including athletes, coaches, parents, directors, volunteers, staff, chaperones and others.

The OHF, Member Partners and League Associations are committed to providing a sport environment in which all individuals are treated with respect. Members of the OHF shall conduct themselves at all times in a fair and responsible manner. Members shall refrain from comments or behaviors which are disrespectful, offensive, abusive, racist or sexist. In particular, behavior which constitutes harassment or abuse will not be tolerated by the OHF, Member Partners or Local Associations.

During the course of all OHF, Member Partners and Local Associations' activities and events, members shall avoid behavior which brings OHF, Member Partners and Local Associations or the sport of hockey into disrepute, including but not limited to abusive use of alcohol and non-medical use of drugs.

Members shall not use unlawful or unauthorized drugs/narcotics or performance enhancing drugs or methods.

OHF members shall at all times adhere to the OHF, Member Partners and Local Associations' operational policies and procedures, to rules governing the OHF, Member Partners and Local Associations' events and activities and to rules governing any competition in which the member participates on behalf of the OHF, Member Partners and Local Associations.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006

Most of the ways to contact this dufus by email no longer work. I hope this guy is feeling the fallout from his self-centered attack on the player. I'm sure he'll never admit to doing anything wrong but at least he's pretty sure where he now stands in the public's opinion of him. Couldn't happen to a more deserving chap.:handclap:

esdoorn

Nov 14, 2006
70 40
I

I sent a copy of the weblink ( and also included the content in the email body ) to the head of Hockey Canada and the the Head of the Ontario Hockey Federation.

Good luck George, after they read this you'll need it!

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Most of the ways to contact this dufus by email no longer work. I hope this guy is feeling the fallout from his self-centered attack on the player. I'm sure he'll never admit to doing anything wrong but at least he's pretty sure where he now stands in the public's opinion of him. Couldn't happen to a more deserving chap.:handclap:

The sad part is, that his son is the one who will suffer as he won't find a team to play on next year.
No coach or organization will touch the guy because of his dad.

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
Ok I am going to clarify a few things:

First, if "A" level is house league (like beer league for kids) then my apologies for the mix up

Second, I don't have my own kids but I live on my own and have a job. I also do remember my childhood quite well and remember what it was like to be 12 and also know what its like for current 12 year old since I have worked with kids a lot and know more than most people on here.

Third, I agree that Atis is a nut/******* and should be barred from the team, but not his son, he didn't do anything unless proven otherwise. But also, lets keep in mind that all the parents came to the meeting and heard this guy speak, including the girls parents. So these meetings must have been a normal occurrence for this team. And upon hearing this guy slander a little girl, no one dig nothing during the meeting? Well you know the saying that goes if you do nothing or say nothing you basically agree to what the other person is saying right?

Fourth, There are a lot of facts missing from this story such as the following; Did any of the parents confront him in person? Did the coach actually do anything as a coach? Was this a long standing problem because she has been on the team for 2 years? Did the kids share the opinions of the father or was he the only one? Lots of variables that a make a difference

So this is what I am saying: She wasn't forced off the team, she left on her own. Was it wrong for Atis to do what he did, absolutely, but did any of the parents do anything about it? Nope so what does that say about them. If one parent had the bravery to stand up to this guy, I bet you she stays on the team but since nobody had the balls to do it, she interpreted that as everyone agreed. So in a way, I feel bad for her but not in the way most of you do.

Oh and for the people who say what would I do if this would happen to my kid, very simple. I call the guy out and ask him who he is, and tell him if he has anything to say, to say it my face and when he does, he gets a free black eye. If my kid find out, I tell him straight up not everyone in life is going to like you and some will talk bad about you. You ignore them and do what you wish and have fun because if they focus on you, they either jealous or you're doing something right. Thats the way I was brought up and I am proud of it.

PS - This is for all the people who say why can't girls play with guys if they are better etc etc. I agree, I don't care if girls play with guys, hell I played with a girl on my HS team and she was good, better than me and I didn't care at all, she played liked one of us. But in theory, if you are going to elect that girls can play on guys teams then you must also agree that boys can play on girls teams if they desire, its only fair. You cannot discriminate one sex but favor another. Thats why if there is a female team for the same sport, then girls have to play on the girls team but if there is no girls team, then let em play with the boys.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
PS - This is for all the people who say why can't girls play with guys if they are better etc etc. I agree, I don't care if girls play with guys, hell I played with a girl on my HS team and she was good, better than me and I didn't care at all, she played liked one of us. But in theory, if you are going to elect that girls can play on guys teams then you must also agree that boys can play on girls teams if they desire, its only fair. You cannot discriminate one sex but favor another. Thats why if there is a female team for the same sport, then girls have to play on the girls team but if there is no girls team, then let em play with the boys.

It's not quite that simple. Outside of the north and east, hockey is a niche sport. It is not as easy to find a girls team for the girls to play on. If you are lucky enough it likely will have to travel very far to find competition, ie there is no "house league" for girls. So the girl can either play on a travel team that the parents can't afford or they can play on a boys (mixed) team. I know this beacause I have two daughters who play.

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
It's not quite that simple. Outside of the north and east, hockey is a niche sport. It is not as easy to find a girls team for the girls to play on. If you are lucky enough it likely will have to travel very far to find competition, ie there is no "house league" for girls. So the girl can either play on a travel team that the parents can't afford or they can play on a boys (mixed) team. I know this beacause I have two daughters who play.

No thats completely understandable, I am talking about like somewhere in Toronto is New England where there are plenty of girls and boys teams. Obviously if the nearest girls team for you costs 10 times more than the boys team and is 50 miles farther than it makes sense to play with boys.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The quest I ask is, if the exact same agenda had been called about a guy on the team and the team reacted the exact same way and the boy saw the agenda and decided to quit...would *ANYONE* care, even in the slightest?

The answer is quite obviously a resounding no.

This. As wrong as it is to do that, I doubt anybody would've cared if it was a guy. Must be a slow news day.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
It is so typical that this whole thing gets spun as a gender issue and suddenly becomes a huge story.

The Toronto Star pushes a PC hot button, sells some newspapers and whole bunch of people lose their minds. Facts be damned!

The only person in this whole episode who is not a scum bag is the girl.

The mother is obviously an idiot for letting her daughter read the email about this. What kind of a mother does this to her own child? I would suggest it would be one who would rather grind an axe than protect her own daughter's feelings and interests.

The grandmother is scum for stating that she was going to spin this to the media and then doing exactly what she threatened. Can you imagine putting a 12 year old in the middle a media **** storm for the sole purpose of padding you own hurt ego?

Atis is an idiot for giving his opinion about where a player should play on the team and how much ice time the player should get. He is not the coach. His opinion is moot. Talking about it, writing it down on paper and bringing it to a parent meeting is detrimental to the team.

Minor hockey coaches volunteer their time and energy to give to these kids. If a parent is not part of the team staff it is their job to shut the hell up and let the coaching staff do their job.

Robert Cribb of the Toronto Star is an idiot for taking all of this story out of context and framing it as a gender issue to sell newspapers...all on the back of a 12 year old girl.

My daughter plays hockey. On a boys team. She changes in the same room as the rest of team. She is the only girl. She is 4 years old. There is no way in hell I would have her changing with boys at age 12. Some kids will have reached puberty by that time. It is inappropriate.

Think about if for a second. If you are 12 and have no hair on your nuts yet and some of your team mates do would you be embarrassed about changing in front of a girl? You are damn right you would. This girls mother was forcing these boys into that situation.

I would not have my daughter play competitive boys hockey if she is one of the worst kids on the team. Why put her in that position? Now if that was the only option for her to play hockey (ie: there is no girls team for her to play on) I would do it but if she has girls team options why the hell not put her there when she is a border line player.

The real issue here is that a lot of people these days are complete and utter morons. Hockey is just a vehicle for people to act like morons. It is not the reason.

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
It is so typical that this whole thing gets spun as a gender issue and suddenly becomes a huge story.

The Toronto Star pushes a PC hot button, sells some newspapers and whole bunch of people lose their minds. Facts be damned!

The mother is obviously an idiot for letting her daughter read the email about this. What kind of a mother does this to her own child? I would suggest it would be one who would rather grind an axe than protect her own daughter's feelings and interests.

The grandmother is scum for stating that she was going to spin this to the media and then doing exactly what she threatened. Can you imagine putting a 12 year old in the middle a media **** storm for the sole purpose of padding you own hurt ego?

Atis is an idiot for giving his opinion about where a player should play on the team and how much ice time the player should get. He is not the coach. His opinion is moot. Talking about it, writing it down on paper and bringing it to a parent meeting is detrimental to the team.

Minor hockey coaches volunteer their time and energy to give to these kids. If a parent is not part of the team staff it is their job to shut the hell up and let the coaching staff do their job.

Robert Cribb of the Toronto Star is an idiot for taking all of this story out of context and framing it as a gender issue to sell newspapers...all on the back of a 12 year old girl.

My daughter plays hockey. On a boys team. She changes in the same room as the rest of team. She is the only girl. She is 4 years old. There is no way in hell I would have her changing with boys at age 12. Some kids will have reached puberty by that time. It is inappropriate.

Think about if for a second. If you are 12 and have no hair on your nuts yet and some of your team mates do would you be embarrassed about changing in front of a girl? You are damn right you would. This girls mother was forcing these boys into that situation.

I would not have my daughter play competitive boys hockey if she is one of the worst kids on the team. Why put her in that position? Now if that was the only option for her to play hockey (ie: there is no girls team for her to play on) I would do it but if she has girls team options why the hell not put her there when she is a border line player.

The real issue here is that a lot of people these days are complete and utter morons. Hockey is just a vehicle for people to act like morons. It is not the reason.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

This guy gets it!

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006

So now you have me confused. Why should a mother have to hide an email from her daughter about the agenda for a hockey meeting? The mother wasn't the one to write the agenda, why is she to blame? If this had been your daughter and she found the agenda or asked you what the meeting was about, would you lie to her? And the grandmother was within her rights to get the media involved, don't piss off a little child's grandma or you'll pay the price. The newspaper did exactly what newspapers do, took a story and ran with it. It's not the newspaper's fault that Atis threw them a big meatball. The person to blame, and the only person who should get the blame is Atis. One last thing, Atis is the only person making the claims about the issue with changing in the locker room and the girl's ability to play. No one else has stepped up and supported this guy's claims. That should make you wonder just a bit how valid his argument really is.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I always hated playing against girls. You couldn't hit them, so they would just skate down the ice with the head down and you couldn't do anything...

I rember one bantam game I was ticked we were losing, so I leveled a girl...

The parrents in the stands boo'ed me.... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad