OT: Following the NBA lockout UPD (circa 1am PT 11/26): tentative agreement reached

Dado

Have the players started calling the owners "slaveholders" yet?

Or is it still early days in the Righteous Struggle between the Over-Paid and the Over-Wealthed...

:laugh:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Have the players started calling the owners "slaveholders" yet?

Or is it still early days in the Righteous Struggle between the Over-Paid and the Over-Wealthed...

:laugh:

Oh, could you see the field day the media would have if the players in the NBA called the owners "slaveholders"? I mean to use the meme "Boom goes the dynamite"....

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Buccigross 10:43am via Web Yao Ming retiring says Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. He informed the league office within the past 48 hours.

Strike one "must see" player from the NBA (when/if it returns).

Hate to sound cynical, but Yao was SO 3-4 years ago, I don't think (other than the obvious chinese fanbase) he's had that "wow" factor since then-now it's all Lebron, Wade, Kobe, MAYBE Dwight Howard really as far as "mainstream/casual fan" is concerned IMO. I don't see them retiring anytime soon.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
For the 2008-09 season, NBA owners told the players they lost a single-year record $370 million. Not only that, a record 24 teams lost that amount of money. Consider that amount of money an aggregate loss.

Sounds like the NBA is on a treadmill to obscurity dont it?

For the 2008-09 season, the documents reflect that the Nets lost $77,227,184. That number is reached thanks to the team pulling in $78,783,677 in operating income, including $26 million in ticket sales and $32.5 million in total broadcast revenues. Operating expenses were $147 million, off mainly $66 million in salaries and $33.3 million in "amortization of intangible assets." When the team's $13.3 million interest expense is added, the Nets loss for the 08-09 season hits $77.2 million.

In the NBA, they have a formula in the end that salaries are 57% of revenues, and the Nets have revenues of $78mil and salaries of $66?

And they count operating losses of non cash expenses like depreciation of player salaries and interest on their debt, sometimes debt used to buy the team as reasons why players should take less. If i was a player linking my salaries to owner revenues, where revenues are determined after debt repayments, i'd want some say in why they are going into debt. Or perhaps a debt ceiling rider in the next cba that owners arent allowed to spend more than they make and thus deficit finance, unless they want to share some of the interest and depreciatation offsets

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Now that's interesting-is the NHL Escrow set up the same way? Would the NHL have to fork out millions in escrow if they enter a lockout situation?

Both the NBA and NHL escrows are set based on % of revenues to players, so no.

I'm just amused by the timing. :naughty:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I seem to recall layoff happening around this time of the NHL lockout as well (can't remember if it was NHL or teams)

Either way, this to me again suggests there might not be NBA basketball for a while....

League laid off some, as did some teams.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-ira-nba-column-s071711,0,1934038.column

A look at the impact of the (stupid, IMHO) ban on team/player contact.

• Team officials having to get approval to attend a wedding.
  • No current NBA players allowed to attend coach's charity event
  • NBA player had to get permission to participate in golf tournament
NBA is handling requests on case-by-case basis.

A really good way to put down the foundations of bad blood in the league for perhaps a decade.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It's insane that leagues are able to impose restrictions on essentially who people are allowed to socialize with. Ain't this 'Merica?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-ira-nba-column-s071711,0,1934038.column

A look at the impact of the (stupid, IMHO) ban on team/player contact.

• Team officials having to get approval to attend a wedding.
  • No current NBA players allowed to attend coach's charity event
  • NBA player had to get permission to participate in golf tournament
NBA is handling requests on case-by-case basis.

A really good way to put down the foundations of bad blood in the league for perhaps a decade.

And Michael Jordan (owner of the Charlotte Bobcats) is facing up to $1M in fines if he plays at a charity golf tournament with current NBA players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...ked-out-players-can-golf-with-?urn=nba-wp6416
http://www.rgj.com/article/20110713...es-1-million-fine-he-golfs-current-NBA-player

It's insane that leagues are able to impose restrictions on essentially who people are allowed to socialize with. Ain't this 'Merica?

Labor law allows management & unions to prohibit any unauthorized contact with each other during a lockout or strike.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Sounds like the NBA is on a treadmill to obscurity dont it?

In the NBA, they have a formula in the end that salaries are 57% of revenues, and the Nets have revenues of $78mil and salaries of $66?

And they count operating losses of non cash expenses like depreciation of player salaries and interest on their debt, sometimes debt used to buy the team as reasons why players should take less. If i was a player linking my salaries to owner revenues, where revenues are determined after debt repayments, i'd want some say in why they are going into debt. Or perhaps a debt ceiling rider in the next cba that owners arent allowed to spend more than they make and thus deficit finance, unless they want to share some of the interest and depreciatation offsets

57% of league-wide revenues; each team have different numbers.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Maybe it's just me (prolly is) but there seems to be a decided LACK of urgency here(at least optically)

Or is it more a case of that both sides pretty much expect at this point to miss part if not all of the season? I would certainly hope the players aren't thinking "The owners really won't lose the season"-as all indications seem to the contrary....

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Vice President of the NBA Players Association Keyon Dooling is close to a deal to play for Efes Pilsten in Turkey. If the Vice President of the Players Association is signing a deal in Turkey, the NBA is likely in for a long lockout.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This one is simple. The owners save money by not having a season so they're just going to hold out until they get what they want.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
SBJLizMullen: NBPA Exec Dir says NBA's allegations in lawsuit, NRLB charge are w/o merit & players will seek to have the actions dismissed. #NBA Lockout
SBJLizMullen: Billy Hunter: NBA Players Association has not made any decision to disclaim its role as collective bargaining representative of the players
SBJLizMullen: NBPA's Billy Hunter urges #NBA "to use more productively the short time we have left before the 2011-12 season is seriously jeopardized.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad