OT: flat footed skater advice

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Good day =- stated skating in my late 30's for the first time since I was 5. The pain on the inside part of my foot is excruciating because I have flat feet.

Typically I skate for about 20 minutes before I start leaning on the outsides of my skates, which I've been told is a sure fire way for broken ankles.

Any advice? Insoles? Custom orthos, sure...but that will take some time to get used to, no?

Really looking for help for my Thursday class, as I feel I'm making good progress!

Thanks guys.
-sk

woodrow9876

Jun 7, 2009
Toronto
Having gone this route, I think you're probably best trying some 'off the shelf' insoles...pharmacy stuff, aren't too expensive... and see if they help.

If so, then you're set, but the next step would be custom orthopedics. I've got those, and while they do take some getting used to (and can give you some pain, at first, while your body adjusts), they will make a difference.

If you have benefits with work, sometimes they cover this, so maybe look into that, and try the insoles first with your shoes, getting used to them that way, and then after a week or two, should be good to go with the skates...

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Superfeet. I think I paid ~$40 for them, which is a lot, but they really worked for me. I got them at Pro Hockey Life on Bank Street. IIRC they also let you try them out and will give you a refund if they don't work.

BeerBaron

Feb 1, 2003
Ottawa, ON
Visit site
Agree with arglebargle 100%. I too have the same problem. I could skate maybe 5 minutes without my feet just killing me. I went to Sportchek and they put some Superfeet inserts into my skates..wow. I can actually skate now pain free.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Also take my advice and ignore WilderPegasus. "Wearing them in" doesn't help if you have fallen arches, you're just going to damage your feet.

WilderPegasus*

Also take my advice and ignore WilderPegasus. "Wearing them in" doesn't help if you have fallen arches, you're just going to damage your feet.

Just because you were never man enough to break in your skates doesn't mean everyone is equally delicate. I had to do it every year growing up since I'd outgrow my skate every year. I've got feet as flat as you can get and it hurt like hell the first few times I'd wear them but I was fine was they were broken in.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
I've had the same problem since I started skating at age 3 and now I'm 19 who still plays 2-3 times a week. I just suck it up.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just because you were never man enough to break in your skates doesn't mean everyone is equally delicate. I had to do it every year growing up since I'd outgrow my skate every year. I've got feet as flat as you can get and it hurt like hell the first few times I'd wear them but I was fine was they were broken in.

Lame.

Where I grew up, you had to kill your own cow and treat your own leather for your skates. That was it. That was your pair.

If your feet grew, who cares. A little pain doesn't keep a man down. Toes curl for a reason.

That's how a man plays hockey.

WilderPegasus*

Some skates have bad arch support and cause foot pain when you have fallen arches. The bottom part of the boot is made of hard plastic and isn't going to "wear in". But w/e keep going with the manly internet tough guy schtick you're really adding a lot

Try and think before you post. The bottom of the boot that is plastic is flat. Just like your foot. That's not the part that is digging in. Unless someone is selling you skates with no padding inside because you might be dumb enough to buy them then that's not the problem.

Just because you seem to be rather delicate doesnt mean I'm doing an Internet tough guy schtick.

WilderPegasus*

Lame.

Where I grew up, you had to kill your own cow and treat your own leather for your skates. That was it. That was your pair.

If your feet grew, who cares. A little pain doesn't keep a man down. Toes curl for a reason.

That's how a man plays hockey.

I tried that but the experimental farm that was where Hunt Club is now caught on to me killing their cows. And since my toes were so powerful that they'd break through the ends of my skates and the noses of the other players (from their manly scent) the league mandated that i get new skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad