OT: Finnish Music

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

Andy.B

Mar 2, 2004
Nottingham,UK
Good point. The eye candy music genre deserves more representatives. Jenni Vartiainen should get the first honor:

Not bad but still have Hanna #1

Kristiina Brask merits a mention here although her voice is not quite as strong as others.

While I'm on what happened to Meiju Ehno from Ensiferum? Now she is HOT and has a voice.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
This I suppose is as good a time as any to add Anna Eriksson to the mix. I don't wanna call her career a waste of talent, but concentrating on Finnish schlager may have concealed some of her abilities as a singer.

This is what she gets paid for:

This is what she's capable of when given different material to work with:

These Boots Are Made For Walking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfDMN41KnY

My Heart Belongs to Daddy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHIulp3yKHs

Who Wants to Live Forever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2cPtlW_Xg

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Eyecandy...Jenni Vartiainen is the numero uno for sure but as I'm 30 something I really just can't stop looking at Irina when she is on tv plus I like some of her songs too:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
They like Jenni in Mexico too

X-20080229091415790.jpg

ForsbergIsOdin

Jan 23, 2008
Asgaard
This is a badass thread.
My Top Finn Bands.

1.Kalmah
2.Moonsorrow
3.Ensiferum
4.Sentenced
5.Old Bodom. **** that new ****.

Kalmah I just think has been flawless so far. Everyone of their albums has been great. Black Waltz is unreal.

Moonsorrow is just all you need really. I saw em live recently, and they reproduced everything you hear so well. Amazing.

Ensiferum's First album was like, a stroke of genius. Every after has been really great, and solid, but just cant be that first one for me. Their new album is pretty sweet, they seem to be going to a pretty nice direction.

Sentenced is ****ing just awesome. They went through so many different phases, from early black, to death, to melodic death, then they came out with ****ing Cold White Light... Anyway, they are great.

And yeah, no matter how lame Bodom is now... Their few first albums (Follow the Reaper and back) were just inspiring. Hate Crew was good, but you knew that the next album was gonna suck. And it did.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I'm pretty sure I'll ruin someone's day by posting this, but I'm really addicted to this song:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'm absolutely obsessed with Cheek and Lord Est right now.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
It should be illegal to write music this epic, I should start studying swedish but how the hell am I supposed to do that when I can't stop myself from listening to this...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

Kiprusoff*

I can save your time.. there is no good Finnish music.

But Oasis is a great band.. those potheads make world's best music. I suggest you songs "Dont go away", "dont look back in anger" and "whatever"

Neblod Zin

Oct 3, 2006
Finland

Last edited:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Pretty sure that Finnish people will send these guys to the Eurovision Song Contest :D

Eläkeläiset - Hulluna Humpasta

Danja

Oct 16, 2004
Los Angeles
None of the youtube videos are loading for me. Shame; I was looking forward to finding some good music. Is there any band that has a guitar style similar to Alexi Laiho's more melodic metal (hate me, banned from heaven, children of decadence) with non-screaming vocals? Sonata Arctica came close for me; a little too much keyboard and too high pitched voice. Anyone have the magic Finnish solution?

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Pretty sure that Finnish people will send these guys to the Eurovision Song Contest :D

Eläkeläiset - Hulluna Humpasta

HUMMPPA OR DIE!!! First time when finnish friend brought me a CD and I listened I was just....confused and....suprised
But now I love it, its just sick! if i would just understand what they are "singing"...???

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
A matter of taste, of course, but I find that most Finnish music sucks ass.

I listen to some Finnish rock (CMX, Viikate, Maj Karma, T.R. & Trio Niskalaukaus, etc.), though, but mostly for the lyrics. Musically they're often very basic and boring.

Magyar Posse, Shogun Kunitoki and Callisto are most frequently on my playlist out of all Finnish bands, but are really an acquired taste, I think. Kingston Wall probably deserves a mention, and a really underappreciated band is Hidria Spacefolk.

As for Finnish metal, I find it mostly overrated. It's soulless and dickless and very very basic (talented musicians for sure, but no creativity). Then again, that's what most metal is anyway. Most, but not all. The exceptional ones don't come from Finland, though.

Finnish rap is a bad joke. I used to laugh, now it just makes me cry. Well, not really. I just ignore it.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
And another truth is that Finland can't beat Sweden even on music field. :D

Actually my son you're wrong. If we make the assumption that metal is the only genre that can be counted as music, Finland takes this one home. The difference isn't huge by any means and Sweden comes close second way above the next tier (Germany, Norway, Netherlands, Israel, italy)

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
If we make the assumption that metal is the only genre that can be counted as music, Finland takes this one home.

And by how do you measure this exactly? I don't disagree with this necessarily (I don't listen to metal enough... only the interesting genres and bands), but I know that Finland has not produced a band that equals Opeth for me personally. Another band that Finland has no real answer to (in a pretty different subgenre of metal, though) in my opinion is Cult of Luna.

Also, Sweden seemingly beats Finland hands down when it comes to "kikkelimetalli" ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad