Speculation: OT: Do you think the Tampa Bay Lightning can or will be the next NHL dynasty? (Edit: hahaha, nope)

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If the Lightning don't win the Cup this year, they are the biggest underachievers in the last five seasons.

As good as any team is, it takes more than dominating in the RS to win it all. Hawks fans are well aware of that fact.

That said, TB is a well-oiled machine right now. Definite favourites to go all the way this year but nothing is guaranteed obviously.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Let them win one Cup with this core to overcome their choker reputation and then we can talk about anointing them as the next great era.

And even if they win this year, probably not. Cap crunch is coming soon for them so they better win sooner rather than hoping for later.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
As good as any team is, it takes more than dominating in the RS to win it all. Hawks fans are well aware of that fact.

That said, TB is a well-oiled machine right now. Definite favourites to go all the way this year but nothing is guaranteed obviously.
As far as I'm concerned, they are nothing more than a Tom Thibodeau coached Bulls team. That said, this year is theirs to be had.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, they are nothing more than a Tom Thibodeau coached Bulls team. That said, this year is theirs to be had.

The Bulls were N.E.V.E.R. favorites to win a Championship under Thibs. Not sure what you're talking about there

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Maple Leafs better trade for another really good defenseman, move Nylander out if you have to, otherwise they're going to get absolutely demolished by the Lightning

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Bulls were N.E.V.E.R. favorites to win a Championship under Thibs. Not sure what you're talking about there

I read that as more of a statement of comparing the regular season Bolts to the regular season Bulls. Bulls had a couple of dominate regular seasons where it was obvious that they were going overdrive while everyone else was in cruise control mode, so everyone else caught up to them and then some when push really came to shove (plus with the Bulls having nothing left in the tank).

I don't agree with that, but I see the analogy.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I read that as more of a statement of comparing the regular season Bolts to the regular season Bulls. Bulls had a couple of dominate regular seasons where it was obvious that they were going overdrive while everyone else was in cruise control mode, so everyone else caught up to them and then some when push really came to shove (plus with the Bulls having nothing left in the tank).

I don't agree with that, but I see the analogy.

I think even in Derrick Rose's MVP season, no one expected the Bulls to get past LeBron. There isn't a single team in the NHL someone would feel comfortable putting money on beating the Lightning this year. Not only do they have the best player in the world, AND Stamkos, AND Point, but they have awesome defense and goaltending too.

If/when they win the Cup this year, people are going to be putting this team up there with the 08 Wings, 10 Hawks, 13 Hawks, and 07 Ducks as best Cup winners post-lockout.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think even in Derrick Rose's MVP season, no one expected the Bulls to get past LeBron. There isn't a single team in the NHL someone would feel comfortable putting money on beating the Lightning this year. Not only do they have the best player in the world, AND Stamkos, AND Point, but they have awesome defense and goaltending too.

If/when they win the Cup this year, people are going to be putting this team up there with the 08 Wings, 10 Hawks, 13 Hawks, and 07 Ducks as best Cup winners post-lockout.
Still .. the Bulls has the best record in Rose's MVP season. That can't be discounted. It was either the Heat or the Bulls. Guess who won the NBA title? The Mavericks.

The title wasn't a given to the Heat that year. They had their struggles that first year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Honesty, their biggest issue has been health.

An upcoming issue is that the top of their division is going to turn into a war as Toronto and Boston continue to improve. You're basically going to have 3 of the top 5 teams in the league for the next several years playing in the 1st few rounds every year.

They're set up very well. If there's one team in the league I'd say had the best chance to rattle off multiple cups over the next 3-5 years, it's the Lightning.

Cooper is only thing holding them back

If they fail again this year TB would be great place for Q to land

What? Cooper is an excellent coach and a huge part of why that team has been so consistently great despite significant injuries to key pieces for long stretches.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Not only is cooper a good coach but Q would be a horrible fit there. Unless of course they’re trying to tank that number one PP of theirs....

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I will say this: The Hawks had no business beating them in 2015. Bishop getting injured completely changed that series.
giphy.gif

Even at his best, Bishop was never a world beater. Not to mention the Hawks only having 4 defenseman that series...

I wouldn't go so far as to say they had 'no business' winning. I agree it's a tougher challenge against a healthy Tampa, more so due to Johnson's injury than Bishop's.

I think Tampa would have had the advantage at the top of the lineup up front, Chicago had the advantage in forward depth, both teams had #1D playing out of their minds, but I think Chicago's top 4 is better than Tampa's top 4. One of the reason's Rozsival's injury didn't hurt the Blackhawks at all (and in fact, probably low-key helped them) was that it kept Chicago's top 4 on the ice longer and gave Tampa less time per game to exploit a 3rd pairing. On the other side, Tampa played their 3rd pair standard 3rd pairing minutes, and Sustr and Coburn got torched.

Goalies... I think Crawford is a better goalie. But goalies are voodoo. Bishop was playing well, and if healthy, maybe he stays hot. Hard to say. I'll call it a wash over a 7 game series, even though I'd obviously take Crow over Bishop for any significant length of time.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
2015 was a magical season. The Hawks were destined to win the Cup regardless of the Lightning.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
I will say this: The Hawks had no business beating them in 2015. Bishop getting injured completely changed that series.
1. Crawford tossing Kucherov over to the goal post to break his collarbone
2. Bishop groin injury
3. Johnson played with broken wrist.
4. Hawks bypassed cap with Vermette so fielded roster 20 Mln more in salary over Tampa with Vermette rental.

I was jubilant over 2015 win but I think objectively Tampa deserved it more.
In year 2014 on the other hand Hawks deserved it more to go back to back if not for questionable coaching decisions.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
2. Bishop groin injury
4. Hawks bypassed cap with Vermette so fielded roster 20 Mln more in salary over Tampa with Vermette rental.

In year 2014 on the other hand Hawks deserved it more to go back to back if not for questionable coaching decisions.

Deserved it more? Really? The Hawks beat the Lightning.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
2. Bishop groin injury

Huh? The Hawks beat the Lightning with 3.5 defensemen. Literally, 3.5 defensemen. Oduya was playing 20+ minutes with one hand.

The Lightning don't deserve the Cup if they can't beat a team with 3.5 DMen.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah a very weird amount of self-deprecation from a few Hawks fans here. Did the Hawks not “deserve it more” than the Bruins because Bergeron had broken ribs in 2013? Or not deserve it more than the Kings because Bolland gave Richards a concussion?

Deserve has nothing to do with it. Injuries are a part of the game and Tampa wasn’t able to overcome theirs. Losing Kucherov hurt but so did Stamkos being a shell of himself in the playoffs. Also, Crawford didn’t throw Kuch into the net. They both went for a loose puck during a crazy play.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
That was why the Hawks had no business winning. When your bottom pairing is two of TVR coming off of a bad injury, Rundblad and the corpse of Kimmo Timonen, you have no business winning a Cup. I'm still shocked they won that series. Keith and Crawford had a lot to do with it, but let's not forget that the Hawks were down 2-1 before Bishop got hurt.

Never mind that Tampa couldn't score?

They haven't won one cup, let alone the multiple cups to even begin debating this... Talk to me when they do.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Win a series in 6 games and shut them out in game 6. Didn’t deserve to win the series.

Seems legit.

Both teams have injuries piled up at that point regardless of if it kept them from playing or not. The injury excuse is bullshit.

Reactions: Geoist

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I finally like that they're structured and no longer having star players hung up on unknown contract situations during cup runs.

To the they would of won without injuries claims, they only got there because of injuries. They were losing to the rangers until McDonough was on half a leg and other D were injured and down.

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017

It's not just this year, it's getting to the Finals and losing. It's getting to the Eastern Conference Finals twice more and losing then, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->