OT: Demographic Shift in Canada favors basketball and soccer

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Source

Moreover, Canada's changing demographic picture would seem to provide some growth opportunities for basketball.

According to a recent study of Statistics Canada data by Solutions Research Group, a Toronto-based consulting firm, basketball is the leading sport among visible minorities in Canada, which is significant given that Canada's visible-minority population is projected to grow by more than 70 per cent by 2017, while the rest of the population will grow by 3 per cent.

"In the next 10 years, Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal in particular will become much more diverse than the rest of Canada," SRG director Kaan Yigit said in an interview. "That trend favours basketball and soccer as fast-growth sports in these markets."

Pretty interesting. Glad to see soccer growth going up on this continent, it is after all the "beutiful game." :)

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Not surprising at all given the socio-economic impacts. Knowing that most minorities are not as affluent as their caucasian counterparts and have less resources to dedicate to activities of leisure, it is obvious that hockey won't be their sport of preference. To play hockey, there not only needs to be an ice rink but also skates, sticks, pads and a lot of equipment. A game of basketball only requires a hoop and a ball while soccer just requires some nets and a field. This is the reason you don't see a lot of African-American and Hispanic hockey players. But as the economic situations of all Canadians improve, I wouldn't be surprised to see a growing interest in hockey.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Not surprising at all given the socio-economic impacts. Knowing that most minorities are not as affluent as their caucasian counterparts and have less resources to dedicate to activities of leisure, it is obvious that hockey won't be their sport of preference. To play hockey, there not only needs to be an ice rink but also skates, sticks, pads and a lot of equipment. A game of basketball only requires a hoop and a ball while soccer just requires some nets and a field. This is the reason you don't see a lot of African-American and Hispanic hockey players. But as the economic situations of all Canadians improve, I wouldn't be surprised to see a growing interest in hockey.

What if they just prefer the games? That cannot be it? There really is no one answer, it is what it is. Your post is semi-prejudice, you are implying that minorities have little money, but if Canada is anything like america, I'd think you guys would have "visible minorites" that have immigrated to canada; some of which bring their money from back home and settle down. Just another hypothetical situation.

Jazz

Bank Shot said:
There should be some programs to convert minorities over to God's game.
I think that Hockey Canada could help with this regard.

Egs could be to encourage local ethnic shows to make shows at a local rink, supporting a local team or something like that, or give away merchandise etc.

Also, the first wave of immigrants from 70s and 80s have kids now that have grown up with hockey, you will see increasing visible-minority representation (albeit slowly at first) within the junior ranks and eventually the NHL. Once one of these players will make it big and draw more attention to hockey within an ethnic group, things will change.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Jazz said:
Also, the first wave of immigrants from 70s and 80s have kids now that have grown up with hockey, you will see increasing visible-minority representation (albeit slowly at first) within the junior ranks and eventually the NHL. Once one of these players will make it big and draw more attention to hockey within an ethnic group, things will change.

Excellent Point.

Curse you Manny Malhotra.

Eeyore

Apr 27, 2006
NDG
PortlandRanger said:
What if they just prefer the games? That cannot be it? There really is no one answer, it is what it is. Your post is semi-prejudice, you are implying that minorities have little money, but if Canada is anything like america, I'd think you guys would have "visible minorites" that have immigrated to canada; some of which bring their money from back home and settle down. Just another hypothetical situation.
There is something to that, but consider that immigrants typically have some familly in their native land and often send money back to support them. This reduces discretionary spending money.

Soccer or basketball are always going to be cheap to play, since the equipment is cheap, and there is no shortage of suitable land. Hockey has more expensive equipment, and there is a shortage of rinks in many areas (particularly cities). So unless you play at a high level, you are going to play late at night or really early in the morning. It isn't as easy as it once was (for anyone, whether immigrants or not).

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
PortlandRanger said:
Your post is semi-prejudice, you are implying that minorities have little money

By and large, this is true. It's not prejudice, it's simple demographics. Minorities have a lower per capita income in North America than whites.

Stating a fact is not prejudice. Prejudice is attempting to explain that fact with an explanation such as "Minorities are lazier/less intelligent/less skilled/etc."

Jazz

BlueAndWhite said:
Excellent Point.

Curse you Manny Malhotra.
Malhotra played in New York and none of my Indian business contacts in New York had heard of him.....

I remember when Robin Bawa had a cup of tea with the Vancouver Canucks in the early 90s and it was huge news within the Indian community here. He later went to San Jose, I wonder how he was received by the sizeable Indian community there?

Anyways, to expand on my point above, it will obviously have to be an above-average player.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
MayDay said:
By and large, this is true. It's not prejudice, it's simple demographics. Minorities have a lower per capita income in North America than whites.

Stating a fact is not prejudice. Prejudice is attempting to explain that fact with an explanation such as "Minorities are lazier/less intelligent/less skilled/etc."

Well, it may not be fact. From what I understand, the two fastest growing visible minority groups in Canada are Asian and East Indian/South Asian. These two groups have also been among the wealthiest demographics in North America. I don't have recent stats on that, so, I can't claim it as fact.

Bottom line, I think more evidence is needed before one can diagnos the issue as minorities not having the money.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
PortlandRanger said:
I'm not being prejudice at all. Minorities in Canada possess less, earn less and have less to spend than the caucasian majority in Canada. In Canada, the average minority is less affluent than the average caucasian and the richest minorities are a siginificant level below the richest caucasians. If is funny that you cite the United States, which is one of the most polarized nations on earth with the rich (usually whites) getting richer while the poor (mostly African-American and Hispanic-American minorities) getting poorer.

When one social group is on a rung below another group on the economic ladder, you'll see stark differences. Whether it is consumption habits, preferences, hobbies, tastes or values, the economic disparity manifests itself in every venue of life. Hockey remains, to this day, a middle-class sport and lower-class Canadians simply cannot afford the hundreds of dollars of capital investment to get into it. A basketball or a soccer ball costs $11 at a department store. Even if a lower-class Canadian were to prefer hockey to basketball, he is constrained by economic influences and societal influences (peer pressure from friends and parents) to invest in the sport of basketball instead.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
discostu said:
Well, it may not be fact. From what I understand, the two fastest growing visible minority groups in Canada are Asian and East Indian/South Asian. These two groups have also been among the wealthiest demographics in North America. I don't have recent stats on that, so, I can't claim it as fact.

Bottom line, I think more evidence is needed before one can diagnos the issue as minorities not having the money.
Wealthiest minorities among the pack yes but on average, they still earn less, possess less and spend less than whites. I'm not going to cite a study since every study out there will collaborate with the facts aforementioned above.

I am an Economics major with concentrations in Political Economy and Sociology, and race dynamics is a topic of my expertise. Any reasonable statistics will show that the average Asian earns less than the average white.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Wealthiest minorities among the pack yes but on average, they still earn less, possess less and spend less than whites. I'm not going to cite a study since every study out there will collaborate with the facts aforementioned above.

I am an Economics major with concentrations in Political Economy and Sociology, and race dynamics is a topic of my expertise. Any reasonable statistics will show that the average Asian earns less than the average white.

I have heard to the contrary, and, if you are so deeply involved in the field, I'm sure it isn't hard for you to find a link to a credible study. I looked, but couldn't find anything.

vcx*

I hope Vancouver gets a team again, this time not sabotaged by the NBA to fail like last time, no way in hell does a franchise do the stuff they did without some inside office bs.

As for hockey, throw in another 2 canadian teams and 1 american team.

vcx*

Say what? You know the thing with minorities is that they don't claim the full amount they make, you should know that mr economy dude.

For an example, in BC, the secondary school Princess Margaret is mainly indo-canadian and because of that they consider it an inner-city school, pretty much ghetto. What they fail to realize is that those indo-canadian families make a lot of money but don't claim the full amount, there are ways around that i am sure you already know.

It's not uncommon practice for minorities to be doing that, my family is like a freakin colour wheel.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Geez, NBA and Soccer? I would rather watch my dad take a shower then watch that crap!

midg14*

pjbth said:
In the last 15 years

Canadian NHL teams= +1
Canadian NBA teams= -1
Canadian Baseball Teams= -1

I think hockey is winning ;)

I think its just -1 for all of them...

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I think you guys are being a bit naive, it is clearly obvious basketball is growing in Canada, and why shouldn't it? Soccer too.

ludger

Aug 2, 2005
Soccer and basketball, jesh I guess that.s when I drop out following sports. Is there anything more boring in sports than watching soccer?

Cyclops II*

ludger said:
Soccer and basketball, jesh I guess that.s when I drop out following sports. Is there anything more boring in sports than watching soccer?

Watching 9 foot imbeciles trying to run around a basketball court.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Well, I found a study that talks about the immigration income levels in Canada. It dispells this notion that the reason why hockey is losing ground to other sports is because of the inability for immigrant families to afford it.

http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection/Statcan/11F0019MIE/11F0019MIE2003197.pdf

The study found that among married families, immigrants have higher wealth than their Canadian-born counterparts from the 40th to 90th percentiles of the distribution, with the wealth gap ranging between $20,000 and $78,000. Among single families, immigrants have higher wealth from the 55th to 95th percentiles, with the wealth gap ranging between $14,000 and $145,000. At the bottom of the distribution, however, evidence suggests that immigrants have lower wealth, although the gap is generally below $10,000.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
All this time, I thought cricket was gonna be Canada's next sport.
With the immigration patterns, why not? Cricket World Cup has an amazing following just not in Canada. I believe I read somewhere that as far as "world" advertising money makers Cricket WC was 4th after Soccer WC, Olympics and Rugby WC. For years the championship game of the Brier held the record as the most watched televised game in Canada. :shakehead
I don't think I'll worry about basketball overtaking hockey in Canada in my lifetime. ;)
edit: Since you're talking about Canada the post should read:
"Demographic shift in Canada favours basketball and soccer"
Get with the programme ( humour ;) )

Last edited:

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
Eeyore said:
Hockey has more expensive equipment, and there is a shortage of rinks in many areas (particularly cities). So unless you play at a high level, you are going to play late at night or really early in the morning. It isn't as easy as it once was (for anyone, whether immigrants or not).
I agree with this completely. It's obscenely expensive to buy all the gear for hockey, and you still have to factor in all the little extra costs. Here's a fictionalized example:
"Great news, Dad! I made the AAA traveling team. Now I need red gloves, blue pants, and a yellow helmet to match the team colours. This year we're going to that tournament in Quebec City if I sell 8,500 boxes of chocolate almonds, or if you just shell out $2,000. By the way, my Easton Synergy stick broke when I looked at it sideways. I need $250 to replace it."

I can certainly see how buying a new pair of soccer cleats every year would be a lot more palatable.

Your comment about ice availability is spot on, too. In fact, the cost of gear and the crap ice times my team was allocated were instrumental in me quitting playing beer league hockey. I kind of miss it, but I've been considering playing indoor soccer as a replacement sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad