OT: Canadian Pro Soccer League

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Canadian Premier League ratified

Unanimously approved at the CSA meetings.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/5/...e-officially-announced-soccer-league-csa-2018

As of now Hamilton and Winnipeg are approved both under their respective CFL club's umbrella.

Up to 10 cities/ownership groups with expressions of interest so more to come.

Apparently the innagual season with be a short one starting in August 2018 with the first full season being in 2019.

Mods, feel free to dig up the old thread under this topic and merge.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
what will happen with the mls clubs? cant see them gaining a big hold in toronto montreal and vancouver

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
what will happen with the mls clubs? cant see them gaining a big hold in toronto montreal and vancouver

The league's would be ok with out the three Mls cities but if Ottawa and Edmonton don't join that could be a blow.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The Csa has approved the new pro league to start in 2018.

Confirmed teams
Hamilton
Winnipeg

Possible

Halifax
Gta
Montreal
Victoria
London
Calgary
Quebec City
Ottawa
Edmonton

A note on both Ottawa and Edmonton if they join the league it likely would not be for a few years from now as Ottawa just spent 5 million to join the Usl and Edmonton has ownership in the Nasl.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Not that I know much about soccer. But there have been articles FOR YEARS about this new ''Canadian Soccer League'' with a team in Québec City, playing at the 15 000 seat PEPS Université Laval Stadium where the Rouge et Or play.

But I've yet to actually see dollars spent, or an actual logo, or anything.

Until I see actual money spent on players, and an actual schedule, this is just wind in my opinion.

ALSO, one extra thing: If this league is gonna have any success at all. Its teams need to be included in some kind of Canadian Championship Tournament like they have in England.

Because if you want to create interest about a Soccer team in Québec City. There is no better way then a ''Montreal Impact VS Québec City Soccer Nordiques'' big game for an important Trophy. It'd sell out for sure.

Otherwise what's the point?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Not that I know much about soccer. But there have been articles FOR YEARS about this new ''Canadian Soccer League'' with a team in Québec City, playing at the 15 000 seat PEPS Université Laval Stadium where the Rouge et Or play.

But I've yet to actually see dollars spent, or an actual logo, or anything.

Until I see actual money spent on players, and an actual schedule, this is just wind in my opinion.

ALSO, one extra thing: If this league is gonna have any success at all. Its teams need to be included in some kind of Canadian Championship Tournament like they have in England.

Because if you want to create interest about a Soccer team in Québec City. There is no better way then a ''Montreal Impact VS Québec City Soccer Nordiques'' big game for an important Trophy. It'd sell out for sure.

Otherwise what's the point?

The Canadian Championship now has 3 MLS teams and Ottawa/Edmonton starting in 2018 the winner of League One Ontario and PLSQ will take part and in 2019 the Canadian League would likely be part of it.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Canadian Premier League

This has to do with the Canadian bid for the 2026 World Cup.

https://www.wakingthered.com/platfo...e-officially-announced-soccer-league-csa-2018

There is already a Canadian Championship involving the three Canadian MLS clubs and a few semi pro clubs I believe.

Yes, it's part a perquisite to co-host 2026 much the same that MLS was created out of the US hosting in 1994.

It's to give a place for Canadian players to develop as we're the wealthiest country in the world without a domestic league.

So it won't be competing with MLS and the CPL champ would likely get spot in the CCL or at least a play in with the best Canadian MLS team.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Yes, it's part a perquisite to co-host 2026 much the same that MLS was created out of the US hosting in 1994.

It's to give a place for Canadian players to develop as we're the wealthiest country in the world without a domestic league.

So it won't be competing with MLS and the CPL champ would likely get spot in the CCL or at least a play in with the best Canadian MLS team.

Ontario and Quebec have d3 leagues the rest of the country really does not so to really grow the game yes we need a National League but Alberta/Manitoba and Atlantic Canada really need d3 leagues.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
True. I just wonder about the appeal of a lower division team. I know the Impact folded their B team in favor of an affiliation with Ottawa.

I think it depends on how the run the team do they say yes we want to compete with the Impact and have same tickets prices etc if they do that in no way will they be successful but if they say we don't want to compete with the Impact and offer lower tickets prices I think they would have good success.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Montreal is big enough to handle 2 pro teams.

Montreal needed to give tickets away to get anybody to attend their academy team's games before they abandoned ship and linked up with Ottawa, and this 'top-tier' league is going to operate on a similar level of talent. They already aren't big enough to draw people to 2 teams and now they're potentially adding a third.

This has always been my big issue with this whole project, they want to establish a national league when half the country's urban population already has access to a far higher quality of product. Either they skip out on all of those already-existing markets which defeats the point of calling it 'national', or they try and directly compete in those markets and try to sell a league that'll likely be playing at a PDL level against MLS, NASL, and USL. As soon as TFC entered MLS it was too late for this project to make any sense.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Montreal needed to give tickets away to get anybody to attend their academy team's games before they abandoned ship and linked up with Ottawa, and this 'top-tier' league is going to operate on a similar level of talent. They already aren't big enough to draw people to 2 teams and now they're potentially adding a third.

This has always been my big issue with this whole project, they want to establish a national league when half the country's urban population already has access to a far higher quality of product. Either they skip out on all of those already-existing markets which defeats the point of calling it 'national', or they try and directly compete in those markets and try to sell a league that'll likely be playing at a PDL level against MLS, NASL, and USL. As soon as TFC entered MLS it was too late for this project to make any sense.

That's very true many experts said if you wait to long it might be to late you have 3 MLS teams and Ottawa in the USL and Edmonton in the Nasl that 5 markets that you badly need.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010

I just don't see the incentive to attract fans unless teams are in cities where there's literally nothing else sports-wise to watch, in which case why call it a national league? It reeks of a project that exists simply to placate FIFA for a WC bid (why we don't just tell those ******** to pound sand and find someone else to host their party I have no clue) and get quietly and easily dismantled after CONCACAF gets what they want.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I just don't see the incentive to attract fans unless teams are in cities where there's literally nothing else sports-wise to watch, in which case why call it a national league? It reeks of a project that exists simply to placate FIFA for a WC bid (why we don't just tell those ******** to pound sand and find someone else to host their party I have no clue) and get quietly and easily dismantled after CONCACAF gets what they want.

For cities like Hamilton/Winnipeg/Calgary might be the only pro soccer they get.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
For cities like Hamilton/Winnipeg/Calgary might be the only pro soccer they get.

I live in Calgary and I'd honestly rather just watch the Whitecaps on TV. Edmonton isn't going to be in the league so there's no compelling rivalry, they'll be playing in a 95%-empty CFL stadium which is going to be miserable, and the quality of play is going to make a joke out of the word 'pro'. I completely fail to see the appeal.

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
Sounds like the minor leagues. Good for locals as it something to do.

Will they play in the fall-spring or spring-fall like the mls?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I live in Calgary and I'd honestly rather just watch the Whitecaps on TV. Edmonton isn't going to be in the league so there's no compelling rivalry, they'll be playing in a 95%-empty CFL stadium which is going to be miserable, and the quality of play is going to make a joke out of the word 'pro'. I completely fail to see the appeal.

Hard to say if Edmonton FC is going to be in this league. The NASL may end up folding so there will be no where else to play.

MLS started out in near empty stadiums too and it's come a long ways since. Teams like TFC found their niche after years of people laughing at the concept of pro soccer in Toronto or taking off in USA and Canada in general. This league will have to go through it's growing pains too and find their own niche to get by.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Hard to say if Edmonton FC is going to be in this league. The NASL may end up folding so there will be no where else to play.

MLS started out in near empty stadiums too and it's come a long ways since. Teams like TFC found their niche after years of people laughing at the concept of pro soccer in Toronto or taking off in USA and Canada in general. This league will have to go through it's growing pains too and find their own niche to get by.

MLS almost self-imploded before it figured out that renting itself out in football stadiums was a horrible idea and that it needed to push hard for it's own standalone infastructure. Why does this league need to make the same mistakes when they already have a case study on the proper way to do things? Especially when the supposed purpose of the league is to better cater to national soccer talent? You can't properly do that when you're rented out to the CFL. Hell you don't even need to use MLS as a lesson on what not to do, just ask FC Edmonton fans how much they loved watching games in Commonwealth with 1500 people in the seats. It's just one more thing about the league that leaves me feeling like it's purpose-built to be easily dismantled once it's usefulness as a checklist item for a WC bid is over.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Agreed, MLS had to change their business model but there plans were not shutterd after hosting the World Cup.

Smaller stadiums will be needed. I'd say 5-7K like the one going up in Halifax .
https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sp...f-halifax-pro-soccer-plan-gets-a-boost-608280

The ones in the larger stadiums, if they are under the same umbrella as their CFL counterparts having access to the stadium revenues and playing in lower bowl set ups.(Hamilton, Winnipeg and Ottawa in the USL), it will work. Not much different than New England in MLS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad