OT: Bob Cousy Of years of love, and a long goodbye

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I thought this was a great companion piece to the wonderful article about Bobby Orr earlier this week.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20130929/COLUMN01/309299933/0#.Uks7nyCNjHE.twitter

The game plan, as he called it, rarely varied. Each morning, he'd awaken first and set things on the kitchen table — her pills, the newspaper, a fiber bar, a banana. Then he'd return to the bedroom and rouse his wife. Often, she balked at leaving the warmth of the covers, so he'd gently coax her. Always, he was gentle.

Once she was up, he'd lead her to the kitchen to read the newspaper. It took two or three hours to get through the pages, because she'd underline each sentence in every story with a black pen. After a while he found comfort in reading between the lines, because it was something they shared.

"She was leading a happy life," he said. "It was part of the game plan."

Bob Cousy knows a bit about game plans, and he and his wife, Missie, were always a team. In the early days of their marriage, when the Celtics star was gone for weeks at a time, Missie made her husband a presence in the family home by telling her daughters where he was and what he was doing. Decades later, when Missie slowly succumbed to the ravages of dementia, her husband ensured that the woman he called "my bride" was always by his side, even as her mind wandered where he couldn't follow.

<continued at the above link>

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I though he died when I saw this thread! Can we put a News Article tag on it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad