OT: Blackhawks are trying to help Illinois add D1 Hockey

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
This isn't anything already not known. Comes down to someone(s) plopping down the millions to get it off the ground. Maybe now with official evidence in place some donors will feel more comfortable investing in it.

Reactions: Teemu

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Does ILL have the money? They'll need to add a women's team to appease Title IX. Rather than hockey, lax sounds more practical.

Someone like Loyola or DePaul should start a hockey team at the Wintrust Arena.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
This isn't anything already not known. Comes down to someone(s) plopping down the millions to get it off the ground. Maybe now with official evidence in place some donors will feel more comfortable investing in it.

I believe the a university is now going to promote the project and fund raise for it which was not happening before. Penn State is also turning a nice profit with hockey:

State College, PA - How Hockey Became One Of Penn State's Biggest Money Makers -

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
exactly. we need a donor like PSU got....

it is an embarrassment that Illinois has no d-1 hockey with a successful hockey team and a market that has cherished hockey for decades here minus that real dark period of 6 years. I loved watching the UIC Flames games as a kid on tv...

the Big Ten is doing great and maybe that is what is moving this forward that all the surrounding states have teams but we do not...get with the times Illinois, this sport can be played by both boys and girls, perfect for title IX people...high cost and investment absolutely, but enough folks want to see this done, just need to get more people of power involved like business owners/politicians...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's not a matter of if Illinois has money, it's about whether they can find alumni that have the money. Every single cent will come from either a major capital donation drive or from a mega donor forking over a Pegula-like amount of dough.

I'm hoping it happens. With the obvious exception of teams that I root for winning championships, there's nothing I want to see more sports-wise than an Illinois varsity hockey team. I guarantee you that I'll be at opening night in Champaign if/when it ever happens.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
It's not a matter of if Illinois has money, it's about whether they can find alumni that have the money. Every single cent will come from either a major capital donation drive or from a mega donor forking over a Pegula-like amount of dough.

I'm hoping it happens. With the obvious exception of teams that I root for winning championships, there's nothing I want to see more sports-wise than an Illinois varsity hockey team. I guarantee you that I'll be at opening night in Champaign if/when it ever happens.

Here is the podcast of the Illinois AD. Sounds like his is commited to making it happen. Most ADs are bean counters this guy sounds like he has an open mind (like the ASU AD):

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Curious: will ILL also be adding a women's hockey team to satisfy Title IX?

Hockey is a good idea. I also think lacrosse makes sense too. For lax (men), B1G already has:

* Johns Hopkins
* Maryland
* Michigan
* Ohio State
* Penn State
* Rutgers

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hope it happens sooner rather than later. Have long since decided that I'll be at game one for a varsity Illini hockey team no matter the cost.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
That would be freakin' awesome. Between the Chicago and St. Louis hotbeds, there is a ton of talent in Illinois' backyard. The BIG is a great hockey conference. Looks like the facility (private in downtown Champaign) is happening. Just have to line up ~$100M for the teams. Really hope Whitman and company can get this done.

disclaimer: Illini alumnus, class of '81

razor ray

May 8, 2011
That would be freakin' awesome. Between the Chicago and St. Louis hotbeds, there is a ton of talent in Illinois' backyard. The BIG is a great hockey conference. Looks like the facility (private in downtown Champaign) is happening. Just have to line up ~$100M for the teams. Really hope Whitman and company can get this done.

disclaimer: Illini alumnus, class of '81

Arizona State raised $32 Million and made D1 hockey happen. Penn State was $100+ Mill because Pegula wanted an on campus arena (cost of $88 Mill) that had every "bell and whistle" you could imagine.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Arizona State raised $32 Million and made D1 hockey happen. Penn State was $100+ Mill because Pegula wanted an on campus arena (cost of $88 Mill) that had every "bell and whistle" you could imagine.

Good to know. So, $50M gets it done. For the love of God, make it happen, Whitman!

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Would be pretty cool. Then again, they never should have canned the Flames D1 team. I probably would have played for them.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad