OT - Bills Player Speaks out against Toronto series

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't care about the NFL, but I didn't really think the Bills in Toronto series was ever about Toronto being a rabid nest of Bills fans ever. Aren't the fans usually going to watch the other team?

Do Torontonians usually bandwagon anything coming out of Buffalo?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Does he really expect Torontonians to care? We barley get playoffs with our own teams, yet they bring more junk to the city for 1 game a year and the bills lose. Good teams win games on the road, if the Bills are going to blame the crowd for why they suck then i hope they dont come back. I also hope we get our own team and wipe our arses with them.

Go Colts.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
“I think the Toronto series has turned into pretty much a joke,” Wood said during a segment on 97 Rock. “It’s a bad atmosphere for football. I mean, nobody wants to play there. I guess for opposing teams it beats the hell out of going in somebody else’s stadium and dealing with a bunch of crowd noise.”

Maybe if they gave us a reason to cheer we would.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Someone begging to go back to Buffalo? That's a first.:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I could not care less about the the Buffalo Bills, the NFL, or even football in general. From my POV, good riddance.

Last edited:

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Go Colts.

I think you summed up the problem right there. If there are NFL football fans in Toronto, they aren't just Bills fans, their Pats fans, Colts fans, Steeler fans etc.

Toronto isn't going to pay more money to see someone else's team. Especially when they can drive and pay less money to see that losing team. And again, especially when it's not "their" team.

If this was the Toronto [insert name here] it would be a completely different story. But there's the problem. The Buffalo Bills aren't "Toronto's Team" nor will they ever be.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
First off it was a terrible assumption on the NFL and Rogers part that every or most Torontonians are Bills fans. Second of all, if the Bills were't so pathetic every year maybe people would care a bit more. It's pretty pathetic that by Week 7 the Bills are already out of the playoff picture and thinking about next year. I'm a Bills fan but that franchise is a joke and that game on Sunday was embarrassing for everyone that went and saw that product. The people I feel bad for are the people who spend all that money thinking their going to see an NFL product. The Bills are not that.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The series is pretty stupid so I don't blame him for not liking. I only watched bits of the game but I'm pretty sure I heard more reaction for the Seahawks than Bills (not that the Bills did anything to get much of a reaction from the fans). There are many things wrong with the series:

-It's a foolish assumption that Toronto NFL fans are Bills fans simply because it is the closest NFL city to Toronto
-Drawing on the above, Toronto NFL fans are of a variety because there is no 'real' local team to cheer for in the league
-Drawing on that above, the Bills are absolute ****. The Bills aren't Toronto's team therefore there is no built in loyalty so the Bills success in Toronto would depend on their ability to put out a good product - which they are unable to do.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Toronto-Bills series is a draw in Toronto for the simple fact that fans are actually paying to the see the OTHER team. Sucks for the Bills because it strips away their home turf advantage really but if we're going to be honest, it's not like home turf would do much for their chances in the league. They had a losing record on home turf even before that Toronto game was played.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I think you summed up the problem right there. If there are NFL football fans in Toronto, they aren't just Bills fans, their Pats fans, Colts fans, Steeler fans etc.

Toronto isn't going to pay more money to see someone else's team. Especially when they can drive and pay less money to see that losing team. And again, especially when it's not "their" team.

If this was the Toronto [insert name here] it would be a completely different story. But there's the problem. The Buffalo Bills aren't "Toronto's Team" nor will they ever be.

I agree. I'm a Pats fan and being in the same division as the Bills, I'm not going to go cheer for them. Even if Toronto ever got a team, I'm not sure if I would switch allegiances.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

Agreed 100%. I would much prefer getting our own team vs inheriting the Bills.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Someone begging to go back to Buffalo? That's a first.:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I could not care less about the the Buffalo Bills, the NFL, or even football in general. From my POV, good riddance.
Are you even going to like anything that's not hockey?

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Does it really surprise anyone that the away team is the bigger draw when the Bills roll into Toronto? :laugh:

If anything, this just means there's room for another team in Toronto. It's obvious the majority of spectators in this city couldn't give a rats ass about the Bills, so we clearly wouldn't be gutting that team's fan/market-space.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Toronto would be a better place to play if the Bills were actually based out of Toronto.

I agree with Eric Wood. If there is no fan support, it makes it complete BS for the Bills to play there. It's like having 5 home games converted to away games. That's an unfair edge for the other 29 teams.

Who knows, if the fans were messing up playcalling like they would normally, and the Bills win those games, they could be playoff bound right now with an extra 4 wins, or at least in contention.

If I'm a Bills player, I'd be pissed.

As a Leaf fan, this is one thing we've been complaining about for years, where the fans at the game are mostly execs and are just there to talk business deals, so the crowd is seldom ever into the game...

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Toronto would be a better place to play if the Bills were actually based out of Toronto.

I agree with Eric Wood. If there is no fan support, it makes it complete BS for the Bills to play there. It's like having 5 home games converted to away games. That's an unfair edge for the other 29 teams.

Who knows, if the fans were messing up playcalling like they would normally, and the Bills win those games, they could be playoff bound right now with an extra 4 wins, or at least in contention.

If I'm a Bills player, I'd be pissed.

As a Leaf fan, this is one thing we've been complaining about for years, where the fans at the game are mostly execs and are just there to talk business deals, so the crowd is seldom ever into the game...

This is rapidly fading into the mists of time, but when the Leafs are good and it's a playoff game the ACC is as loud as anywhere.

Similar to the Bills, maybe the fans need something to actually cheer for?

It is laughable for anyone to blame the toronto crowd for the Bills losing games. The Bills stink.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Are you even going to like anything that's not hockey?

Baseball, soccer, auto racing.

As for football, I know the game, I know people who are really into it, but I personally do not get the appeal of the sport. I watch maybe two games of gridiron football a year, including the Super Bowl.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
hes right
the bills suck, toronto doesnt care about them
ever see those stupid commercials?
"Come out and support your home team in the nfl the bills"

i was like, hahaha
just because they suck that doesnt make them torontos home team

maplehawk

HFB Partner
There are loads of NFL fans in Toronto, easily enough to support a franchise, but with no local team here in the history of the NFL, obviously people have claimed allegiances to whatever NFL team they so desire.

Newsflash: Plopping the Bills into the city for 1 game a year and saying "Ok, you cheer for them now" isn't going to work.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Baseball, soccer, auto racing.

As for football, I know the game, I know people who are really into it, but I personally do not get the appeal of the sport. I watch maybe two games of gridiron football a year, including the Super Bowl.
Fair enough. I guess you like the dickey trade then :) Mets fan and I hate it.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Bills suck. It's not surprising that nobody cheers for them in a neutral market. They haven't done anything in years worth the interest of a new NFL fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad