OT: Big Ten is awash in cash - Each member school to get $51 MILLION this year

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Also, to clarify, ND does not make more than the average Big Ten team anymore. That might have been the case for a while now.

However, they do have better exposure with the consistent time slot on NBC for a very long time.
Which would likely disappear if they joined a conference. Notre Dame is in no need for money, the national broadcast TV exposure is likely worth more than the additional pay to them.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Again, I'm not sure Notre Dame would be the first choice anymore and I don't really expect Notre Dame to become a full fledged member of any conference, I'm just saying that if Notre Dame said they wanted to join the Big Ten tomorrow, they would be in.

Like I said Texas and Georgia Tech would probably be the first choices. After that it's probably like a UNC, Kansas or Vanderbilt type school that would be a secondary choice.
Not going to happen, why would Vanderbilt leave the $EC? Yeah this year the payment for the Big 10 was huge but the SEC hasn’t finished it’s financials yet and has TV deals up for renewal soon. Vanderbilt is a founding member of the SEC and it’s major academic institution. The SEC is actually trying to improve the academic standing for most of it’s schools and losing 1 of the 4 AAU would not be a good look for the Conference. Plus it’s not all football with the SEC as they try to be competitive in all sports and Vanderbilt has a top notch Baseball program and a historically competitive Basketball program.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
B1G didn't really miss on Mizzou, Mizzou just couldn't afford the buy in period for the B1G Network and Nebraska could due to their football program.

Nebraska almost immediately lost their AAU accreditation and Mizzou went to the SEC who didn't have a network buy-in period and treated the new schools as full partners from day one. I think Nebraska only recently started getting their full conference payout. It was a mistake, but I don't think it was a choice to avoid Missouri as much as it was Mizzou not wanting the junior membership period. I've got no clue why they didn't go for Syracuse instead of Rutgers other than Syracuse not being an AAU school at the time, which was a voluntary decision on Syracuse's part if I recall correctly.
Missouri wanted the BIG 10 because of Texas dominance in the BIG 12 media money. Then A&M decided to talk with the SEC (which had no intention of expansion) and Missouri jumped at the chance to join the SEC. The SEC has no escape fees nor does it have a waiting period for full membership. Fact is tomorrow the entire conference could fall apart because members are strictly “voluntary”.

Reactions: DaveG

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Missouri wanted the BIG 10 because of Texas dominance in the BIG 12 media money. Then A&M decided to talk with the SEC (which had no intention of expansion) and Missouri jumped at the chance to join the SEC. The SEC has no escape fees nor does it have a waiting period for full membership. Fact is tomorrow the entire conference could fall apart because members are strictly “voluntary”.
It always seems to outsiders like it happened at the same time, and it was in the same overall phase of realignment, but Mizzou/Nebraska to the B1G happened a year prior (2010) to A&M going to the SEC, which led to Missouri joining afterward.

Missouri wanted the B1G in 2010 because they'd wanted the B1G since Penn State joined, SEC wanted Missouri and Texas for their future SEC Network. All the B12 teams that had an issue with Texas (and it's still a major issue) and had somewhere to go have gone, the ones that remain aren't super attractive or somewhat benefit from the media setup (such as kansas with their MBB rights.) I'm still curious what happens once the B12's grant of rights expires.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Which would likely disappear if they joined a conference. Notre Dame is in no need for money, the national broadcast TV exposure is likely worth more than the additional pay to them.
Disappear? Does Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. not have national broadcast TV exposure?

Notre Dame's exposure would change, but it is unlikely that it would lessen. Notre Dame already does not have great control over the exposure of its away games. The NBC deal only covers their home games. If anything, Notre Dame might game a little by having the Big Ten negotiate better slots for Notre Dame away games.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Disappear? Does Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. not have national broadcast TV exposure?

Notre Dame's exposure would change, but it is unlikely that it would lessen. Notre Dame already does not have great control over the exposure of its away games. The NBC deal only covers their home games. If anything, Notre Dame might game a little by having the Big Ten negotiate better slots for Notre Dame away games.
Sorry, I meant broadcast as in broadcast networks. (I'm still not sure that's clear.)

Meaning that they could probably get the same number of games on TV in a conference, but they wouldn't be guaranteed a spot ahead of time and it would almost never happen on a broadcast TV channel (NBC/ABC/CBS.) Being on one of the main broadcast networks is still a huge benefit.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Who said kids in the Midwest aren't playing football anymore? The Midwest and the South are the last two places where kids still do play football. HS Football is woven into the fabric of the Midwest as deeply as it is in the South.

Coralville Arena in Iowa is a building that is looking for a tenant. About the only thing they have booked there is Iowa Volleyball. Coralville Arena is not a U of I building, it's a city owned facility. It would be a dream for them to land Iowa Hockey as their main tenant.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Suburban Minneapolis/St. Paul, I am not surprised by that. Lacrosse has exploded, specialization in hockey and soccer. The sport is still pretty healthy in the smaller cities and towns across the Midwest though.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Who said kids in the Midwest aren't playing football anymore? The Midwest and the South are the last two places where kids still do play football. HS Football is woven into the fabric of the Midwest as deeply as it is in the South.

Coralville Arena in Iowa is a building that is looking for a tenant. About the only thing they have booked there is Iowa Volleyball. Coralville Arena is not a U of I building, it's a city owned facility. It would be a dream for them to land Iowa Hockey as their main tenant.
Just look at recruiting numbers by geography. Midwest and Northeast have been on a decline for the last 30 years.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would love it if Iowa got a team. State-grown talent is just ok, but USHL is all over their territory, so hopefully they could do some good recruiting at low expense.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Indiana seems to have remained constant in high school football.

Anyway, part of the revenue surge is due to the biggest programs getting marquee spots. Meanwhile, the worst Power 5 football team in existence (Indiana) will get the same amount as Ohio State.

I'd support IU hockey if they moved from ACHA to NCAA status. While football is garbage and basketball has been irrelevant for 30 years, our unorthodox programs have been very successful, especially baseball, given that we put up with the inverse argument of college baseball being a Southern market thing.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Rutgers ain't getting their full share for quite a few years yet, IIRC.

Once we do, I seriously hope we add hockey.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Rutgers is going to face the same issues as Illinois and the other B1G schools that are serious about hockey: Title IX and having an on-campus rink.

If they do manage to find a donor or donors and get the cash to plop a rink on campus (~$80 mil and skates haven't even been laced up yet), Title IX is the smaller mountain to climb but still one that might make some schools think twice.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Title IX is fairly marginal compared to the huge one, having tens of millions of dollars for a new arena. Title IX is essentially just additional boosting for a women's hockey team.

Doesn't necessarily have to be women's hockey, though. I do have a relative in Illinois' quarterback club (just a booster group, nothing too insider), and per conversations he's had with folks in the athletic department and other low- to mid-level boosters, the Illini might make a push for women's lacrosse instead should a men's hockey team get funded. Might be viewed a somewhat cheaper but potentially higher revenue potential option for the university and is another sport that the Big Ten is looking to further expand as well. Just hearsay, though.

Reactions: S E P H and Teemu

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
The Big Ten has been flush with money for years now thanks to the Big Ten Network, and is the biggest appealing point for the conference for prospective schools. The expansion of the Big Ten has also mostly been targeted to increase the television footprint as well, with Maryland bringing in Baltimore and partially D.C. and Rutgers bringing in New Jersey and allegedly NYC (nobody really cares there, but the Big Ten will pretend that they do until the end of days). Future expansions will likely be done in an attempt to further broaden the TV market and make even more dough, so I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see the Big Ten make a move at some combo of North Carolina, Virginia, and/or George Tech in that vein as well. Maryland especially praised the move to the Big Ten thanks to the huge influx of cash it brought in, saving likely multiple programs, in response to understandable fan backlash for losing rivalries.

That being said, I'm still of the opinion that the Big Ten messed up when they didn't make a move on Mizzou or Syracuse (which would've been a better fit and market expansion for New York than Rutgers) for these same reasons.
Syracuse isn't in the NYC DMA, so it really wouldn't bring in the TV sets that Delany was looking for. Since Rutgers is in the same DMA is NYC, it made more sense to add them from a money standpoint.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
And this is why student athletes should be able to make money off their name. They should be compensated for their talents if they chose to do so.

Reactions: BJNT

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Though Title IX is the common complaint people have regarding why Wisconsin doesn't have a baseball program.

Ignoring that program was never successful to begin with.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was reading an interesting article a couple days ago talking about college hockey expansion and it says that the quickest way to get a team is thru private funding as we've seen with Penn State and ASU. No doubt that certain schools should eventually get programmes from their own accord, but in the article it says that the three biggest endowment schools are Northwestern University (though they care little for athletics), Stanford University, and USC. It did not say those schools will ever get hockey teams, but have enough wealthy and famous alumni to start a hockey programme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad