OT: Big Ten is awash in cash - Each member school to get $51 MILLION this year

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They would just for the geography and the huge fan base but if they look to expand again they're going to be looking at like Georgia Tech and Texas.

Notre Dame doesn’t really expand the B1G’s TV footprint like Rutgers and Maryland did though.

The ND alumni base is small, the question would be how much would the B1G gain from the bandwagon ND fans scattered around the country outside of the BTN territory?

If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have thought it was a no-brainer the B1G would bend over backwards to get Notre Dame to join. With the increasing importance on TV landscape and goal of expanding the BTN reach I’m not so sure that’s still true today.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Notre Dame doesn’t really expand the B1G’s TV footprint like Rutgers and Maryland did though.

The ND alumni base is small, the question would be how much would the B1G gain from the bandwagon ND fans scattered around the country outside of the BTN territory?

If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have thought it was a no-brainer the B1G would bend over backwards to get Notre Dame to join. With the increasing importance on TV landscape and goal of expanding the BTN reach I’m not so sure that’s still true today.

Again, I'm not sure Notre Dame would be the first choice anymore and I don't really expect Notre Dame to become a full fledged member of any conference, I'm just saying that if Notre Dame said they wanted to join the Big Ten tomorrow, they would be in.

Like I said Texas and Georgia Tech would probably be the first choices. After that it's probably like a UNC, Kansas or Vanderbilt type school that would be a secondary choice.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Just remember though, these same schools receiving tens of millions of dollars just can’t find a way to afford to pay their players.

no, the reason paying players doesnt work is the 99% of schools that DONT have this type of cash inflow.

you realize that the P5 football schools are by far the anomaly and not the norm, right? There's ~300 D1 programs that dont see anywhere near this type of income from sports.

Reactions: DaveG

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
A few thoughts:

The bulk of the money made by conferences are the inventory of games sold for TV rights - the main being the tier one rights, such as Big Ten selling the marquee football and basketball. I believe Big Ten also sells secondary rights to Fox for non-marquee games. Then there's the fees made from MVPD's for carrying the Big Ten Network (BTN). For example, in states where there isn't a Big Ten school, the BTN is like a dime per subscriber. When Maryland joined the Big Ten, the BTN fee for MVPD's went from a dime to 75 cents as Maryland was now in Big Ten territory. That makes my belief adding programs with major state populations would generate a ton of subscribers.

To me, that would mean adding Syracuse and Virginia, home to two large population states that border the Big Ten's existing footprint. While adding a Texas or Georgia Tech could be interesting, that would be a paradigm shift for Big Ten culture as both are considered solidly in the south - generally not Big Ten territory.

Texas already has their own network, the Longhorn Network, and that is a point of contention between the Big 12 schools, as Texas basically runs the conference.

However, any ACC school would be tremendously difficult to poach because of the recent Grant of Rights extension. The payment for leaving the ACC would far exceed anything the Big Ten is offering in order to join. The Grant of Rights doesn't expire until 2036.

Reactions: varsaku

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Just remember though, these same schools receiving tens of millions of dollars just can’t find a way to afford to pay their players.
You realize that the athletic departments at Big Ten would love to pay their players right? Like love it more than anything. It would be the best thing that ever happened to those programs.

It's the NCAA, the smaller schools, and the academics that block that type of move.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Expanding footprint for TV sets will be less important in the future. Big fan bases that sell is more important.

But ND wouldn't add football recruiting ground, which major reason Rutgers and Maryland were added to the Big Ten. Big Ten was happy for everybody to say it was about eyeballs because they didn't want the attention on the fact that kids in the Midwest aren't playing football anymore.

All that said, if ND wanted into the Big Ten, it would happen very quickly.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
no, the reason paying players doesnt work is the 99% of schools that DONT have this type of cash inflow.

you realize that the P5 football schools are by far the anomaly and not the norm, right? There's ~300 D1 programs that dont see anywhere near this type of income from sports.

Maybe a revenue sharing between the teams?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Notre Dame, however, has a huge 'subway alumni' factor. ND has a huge following in New York, Boston and Philly which is why NBC pays what they do for home games.

In Boston, Notre Dame garners bigger ratings than Boston College which is why Notre Dame had a HOME game against BC at Fenway Park in 2015.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Not a chance Notre Dame joins the BIG10, they really have nothing to offer that Notre Dame doesn't already have. Notre Dame has their own TV contract that pays them more than the BIG could offer. The ACC just bent over backwards to allow all Notre Dame sports excluding football to join the conference in exchange for a couple games a year in football

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not a chance Notre Dame joins the BIG10, they really have nothing to offer that Notre Dame doesn't already have. Notre Dame has their own TV contract that pays them more than the BIG could offer. The ACC just bent over backwards to allow all Notre Dame sports excluding football to join the conference in exchange for a couple games a year in football

While the terms of the new TV deal haven't been announced I highly doubt it pays ND more then the B1G schools receive. As noted in this report the B1G schools are getting $51m/each this year. ND receives 1/5th of a share of the ACC deal, which works out to around $6m/year, plus ND's tv contract with NBC. The most recent NBC contract terms haven't been released, prior to 2016 the average payout was $15m/year. Even if we generously increased that to $25m-$30m per year it would still leave them substantially behind the B1G schools.

Reactions: Morrison

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Big Ten has been flush with money for years now thanks to the Big Ten Network, and is the biggest appealing point for the conference for prospective schools. The expansion of the Big Ten has also mostly been targeted to increase the television footprint as well, with Maryland bringing in Baltimore and partially D.C. and Rutgers bringing in New Jersey and allegedly NYC (nobody really cares there, but the Big Ten will pretend that they do until the end of days). Future expansions will likely be done in an attempt to further broaden the TV market and make even more dough, so I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see the Big Ten make a move at some combo of North Carolina, Virginia, and/or George Tech in that vein as well. Maryland especially praised the move to the Big Ten thanks to the huge influx of cash it brought in, saving likely multiple programs, in response to understandable fan backlash for losing rivalries.

That being said, I'm still of the opinion that the Big Ten messed up when they didn't make a move on Mizzou or Syracuse (which would've been a better fit and market expansion for New York than Rutgers) for these same reasons.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Big Ten has been flush with money for years now thanks to the Big Ten Network, and is the biggest appealing point for the conference for prospective schools. The expansion of the Big Ten has also mostly been targeted to increase the television footprint as well, with Maryland bringing in Baltimore and partially D.C. and Rutgers bringing in New Jersey and allegedly NYC (nobody really cares there, but the Big Ten will pretend that they do until the end of days). Future expansions will likely be done in an attempt to further broaden the TV market and make even more dough, so I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see the Big Ten make a move at some combo of North Carolina, Virginia, and/or George Tech in that vein as well. Maryland especially praised the move to the Big Ten thanks to the huge influx of cash it brought in, saving likely multiple programs, in response to understandable fan backlash for losing rivalries.

That being said, I'm still of the opinion that the Big Ten messed up when they didn't make a move on Mizzou or Syracuse (which would've been a better fit and market expansion for New York than Rutgers) for these same reasons.
B1G didn't really miss on Mizzou, Mizzou just couldn't afford the buy in period for the B1G Network and Nebraska could due to their football program.

Nebraska almost immediately lost their AAU accreditation and Mizzou went to the SEC who didn't have a network buy-in period and treated the new schools as full partners from day one. I think Nebraska only recently started getting their full conference payout. It was a mistake, but I don't think it was a choice to avoid Missouri as much as it was Mizzou not wanting the junior membership period. I've got no clue why they didn't go for Syracuse instead of Rutgers other than Syracuse not being an AAU school at the time, which was a voluntary decision on Syracuse's part if I recall correctly.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
We need Big 10 Hockey to keep adding. Illinois and Iowa in the next couple years and Nebraska and Maryland in the next 5 to 10.

Reactions: S E P H

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
While the terms of the new TV deal haven't been announced I highly doubt it pays ND more then the B1G schools receive. As noted in this report the B1G schools are getting $51m/each this year. ND receives 1/5th of a share of the ACC deal, which works out to around $6m/year, plus ND's tv contract with NBC. The most recent NBC contract terms haven't been released, prior to 2016 the average payout was $15m/year. Even if we generously increased that to $25m-$30m per year it would still leave them substantially behind the B1G schools.

Where did you find that number? Notre Dame received 6.2 million in the fiscal year 2014/2015

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Where did you find that number? Notre Dame received 6.2 million in the fiscal year 2014/2015

The 1/5th was reported when ND joined the ACC:

Notre Dame to join ACC in all sports but football, hockey
The ACC designates 80 percent of its television revenue to football and 20 percent to basketball and other Olympic sports. Notre Dame will therefore receive an equal member share of that 20 percent.

I'm estimating the ACC is generating $27-$30m/school right now. There are various articles citing that range. e.g. ACC revenues drop by $30 million in 2016 after jump due to Maryland exit fee

The 80/20 might fluctuate a little from year to year. Also individual schools keep a larger % then average of tournament payouts. So ND might have ended up with an above average slice of that 20% when you factor in their four March Madness games in 2014-15.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
We need Big 10 Hockey to keep adding. Illinois and Iowa in the next couple years and Nebraska and Maryland in the next 5 to 10.

Illinois just had a NHL-sponsored feasibility study done and the AD made a few announcements fully supporting finding the ~$80m in funding they need for their hockey complex. If they had the facility they would join next 2-3 years. Iowa has the reverse issue in that they have funding for an arena, that is currently being built, that can make ice, but they don't have much wiggle room with scheduling the facility between hockey and the sports the facility was intended to house along with Title IX.

Nebraska would be a great addition and I'm surprised that they haven't added it yet since their Nebraska-Omaha consistently has cranked out a great team. Nebraska-Lincoln has an on campus facility that is on the smaller side, roughly same size and layout as Ferris State and is home to their ACHA team with Lincoln Star's USHL facility a few minutes away. Likely Title IX is the only thing stopping them.

Maryland and Rutgers won't be bringing Big10 hockey to the East Coast. Both schools have come out and said that they don't have the budget to make it work. Rutgers had a brief moment in the spotlight with Buccigross wearing their jersey, but the school quashed all of the rumors quick and said basketball and football will remain king. Both would be great additions but there isn't a shot, even in the next 10 years.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Hoping Illinois and Iowa happen soon. Northwestern seems like it would be a natural hockey school if they could build next to campus. Those are some cold winters on the lake.

I real interesting development would be in the Big Ten ever convinced BC to join and then got ND to follow.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Also, to clarify, ND does not make more than the average Big Ten team anymore. That might have been the case for a while now.

However, they do have better exposure with the consistent time slot on NBC for a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad