OT Any International Wrestling Fans Here ?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I grew up in Ontario where Gino's Brito's promotion ran shows every once in a while....Went all the time as a kid....

Not long after so much talent went to the WWF...Lots of crazy stuff happened like the incident with Jacques Rougeau and the Dynamite Kid....Also the Dino Bravo death......

Anyway did any of you guys follow International wrestling under Gino Brito ?....I know the promotion was based out of Montreal......

Dan Kroffat, Tom Zenk, The Long Riders , Rick Martel , Eddie Creechman, etc etc etc

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
A buddy and I used to go regularly to the Verdun auditorium every Tuesday night. Late 70's. Carpentier, Bravo, Rougeau, Martel, Tarzan, Mad dog, The Fish, Sailor White, Don Leo, just so many big names at the time. Was the most fun. Ringside tickets were like 2 bucks. We would get high as f*** and heckle the wrestlers with all kinds of nonesense.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Once i got to be a teenager wrestling just couldn't keep my attention anymore...But man as a little kid i thought it was larger than life....

Steve Strong was another guy i forgot to mention who i thought was super super cool as a kid.....

Where did they run the shows in the 80's in Montreal ? It was a smaller venue than the Forumif i'm not mistaken...

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Once i got to be a teenager wrestling just couldn't keep my attention anymore...But man as a little kid i thought it was larger than life....

Steve Strong was another guy i forgot to mention who i thought was super super cool as a kid.....

Where did they run the shows in the 80's in Montreal ? It was a smaller venue than the Forumif i'm not mistaken...
Verdun Auditorium or Paul Sauvé arena.

Reactions: Gjman2019

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Maddog ....Come Tuesday night in Verdun.I still have an old cassette with interviews from those days .Funniest and most entertaining thing ever.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I grew up in Ontario where Gino's Brito's promotion ran shows every once in a while....Went all the time as a kid....

Not long after so much talent went to the WWF...Lots of crazy stuff happened like the incident with Jacques Rougeau and the Dynamite Kid....Also the Dino Bravo death......

Anyway did any of you guys follow International wrestling under Gino Brito ?....I know the promotion was based out of Montreal......

Dan Kroffat, Tom Zenk, The Long Riders , Rick Martel , Eddie Creechman, etc etc etc
I saw all of them in different promotions at one point or another later on . I was a bit too young for International wrestling sadly but I got most of the mid to late eighties stuff that I could get on TV. I freaking lived for that stuff as a kid, me and my buddies would talk about it all the time in school, put eachother in submission holds, etc. Great memories all around.

Last edited:

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I go to a ton of indy wrestling shows in ottawa. They are awesome. Id rather attend them then wwe any day. Wrestlers come from all over. They put on a good show.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
I love international wrestling as kid/teen. All the great came to the territory at one point or another

Evil foreigner like Abdullah, The Road Warriors, The Garvins , masked Superstar The great Samu King Tonga, Sheik Ali….. came to take on the local guys

I have been to hundreds of live shows, raw, ppv, wrestlemania and the likes but my all time favorite card will always be an international wrestling one i saw in quebec city ( ric flair vs rick martel, Abdallah the butcher vs Kareem muhamad chain match, Dino bravo vs the Great Samu Road warriors+ tom zenk vs Steve Strong +long riders……

You tube is full of old international wrestling clips and if you are looking for old results check this page out Lutte International (Canada) | WWF Old School

Many great started here as nobodies like Alofa the polynesian prince who gaine 150 pounds and became Rikishi
Toshiaki who was a low card guy/jobber became Toshaki kawada one if the all time great champion in japan

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Any of you guys listen to the shoot interviews on youtube where they talk about the incident with Jacques Rougeau and the Dynamite Kid ?

Also listened to an interview where Rick Martel talks about what happened to Dino Bravo .....Was sad to hear that....

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Any of you guys listen to the shoot interviews on youtube where they talk about the incident with Jacques Rougeau and the Dynamite Kid ?

Also listened to an interview where Rick Martel talks about what happened to Dino Bravo .....Was sad to hear that....
I've heard Jacques tell that story a few different times, Bret Hart mentions it in his book as well. He was real tight with Dynamite and yet even he thinks he probably deserved it :laugh:

Reactions: Gjman2019

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
When I was about 8-9 years old 2 of my friends and I went to a show thinking it was real wrestling (Greco Roman was big in Sweden). So we sat there and watched this African wrestler dressed in some sort of fake leopard skin and he beat up the other guy and the audience booed and so did we. Then the African wrestler left the ring and came running towards where we were sitting and we just took off in panic and left the building, kept on running for hundreds of meters until we couldn't see the building. When we got home I told my dad and he started laughing.

Reactions: the

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
When I was about 8-9 years old 2 of my friends and I went to a show thinking it was real wrestling (Greco Roman was big in Sweden). So we sat there and watched this African wrestler dressed in some sort of fake leopard skin and he beat up the other guy and the audience booed and so did we. Then the African wrestler left the ring and came running towards where we were sitting and we just took off in panic and left the building, kept on running for hundreds of meters until we couldn't see the building. When we got home I told my dad and he started laughing.
KamalaWrestler2009Cropped.png

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've heard Jacques tell that story a few different times, Bret Hart mentions it in his book as well. He was real tight with Dynamite and yet even he thinks he probably deserved it :laugh:

The wrestlers from the 80s must have a million stories with the culture at the time.

Even the guys from the 90s made some huge sacrifices. You put your body through hell and make nothing as you try to move up the ladder.

Steve Austin has often told how he would eat raw potatoes as a cash strapped wrestler trying to make his way up the ranks.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A buddy and I used to go regularly to the Verdun auditorium every Tuesday night. Late 70's. Carpentier, Bravo, Rougeau, Martel, Tarzan, Mad dog, The Fish, Sailor White, Don Leo, just so many big names at the time. Was the most fun. Ringside tickets were like 2 bucks. We would get high as **** and heckle the wrestlers with all kinds of nonesense.

And then off to the peel pub?:naughty::laugh:

Used to incorporate some moves in my daily discipline regime in the park,but people looked oddly at me.

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad