OT: Alphonso Davies (and other European football talk)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Löw won't be let go, the '14 WC win basically gave him a "get out of jail" - card. As long as he's loved by the media and has a good relationship with the DFB (German Football Fed), his job is save. Guess the only way we'll be able to get a new coach is if things get horribad and he'll step down. We europeans know a thing or two about OBC's aswell. :laugh:
On top of that, it's just the Nations League. Hardly anyone cares about it and while I get the appeal for smaller nations, WC & EC is all that matters to most football fans when it comes to international team competition in europe.

I was actually going to say something along the lines of the bolded (RE Löw). Everyone is clamoring for Flick but it ain't going to happen lol

Also fair regarding the Nations League, it's like people getting worked up about the annual Worlds for hockey (here). That said, I feel as thought it will have some implications for the upcoming EC. They have to look better than they have.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Davies has just been nominated for European Golden Boy (along with Haaland and Sancho).

The NHL equivalent would be the Calder. I think he deserves it, but Haaland might win it due to more fanfare. Hopefully winning the treble puts him over the top.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Davies has just been nominated for European Golden Boy (along with Haaland and Sancho).

The NHL equivalent would be the Calder. I think he deserves it, but Haaland might win it due to more fanfare. Hopefully winning the treble puts him over the top.

Haaland scored a boatload of goals didn't he? Davies definitely has a good shot though.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Haaland scored a boatload of goals didn't he? Davies definitely has a good shot though.

Yeah (44 goals in 40 games with both Salzburg and Dortmund, including 10 in UCL), which is why I think he'll win. Still, being a major part of winning the treble as a 19 year old is a pretty major accomplishment.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah (44 goals in 40 games with both Salzburg and Dortmund, including 10 in UCL), which is why I think he'll win. Still, being a major part of winning the treble as a 19 year old is a pretty major accomplishment.

Wow, that is crazy. I knew that he was highly rated but didn't realize that he was going to score that many as an 18 or 19 year old.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Wow, that is crazy. I knew that he was highly rated but didn't realize that he was going to score that many as an 18 or 19 year old.

He's a specimen. Built like an ox, pacy, good technically, and smart on the pitch (his dad was a Norwegian international who had a good EPL career).

I wish United had signed him last year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Happy to see Bale back at Tottenham

Great player when he's fit - the bicycle kick he scored the winning goal with in UCL two years ago (vs Liverpool, which made it sweeter) was possibly the greatest goal I've ever seen.

It'll be interesting to see how he holds up in EPL though. Injuries are an issue for him and EPL is more physical than La Liga.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Great player when he's fit - the bicycle kick he scored the winning goal with in UCL two years ago (vs Liverpool, which made it sweeter) was possibly the greatest goal I've ever seen.

I'm still triggered by Ramos injuring Salah. I will forever believe that if he's not hurt, LFC had a shot at the whole thing. They were taking it to Madrid for the first half hour.

f*** me that goal was a beauty though.

I'm curious how well he'll do with Mourinho

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Almost at 500K subs.

I occasionally browse the youtube trending thing and these 2 were in the top 10 trending weeks ago. They've become a really nice positive message in a time when "messaging" is being overrun by maniacs. Very positive young couple there.

Reactions: Cloned

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just saw that Bayern started their season with an 8-0 win over Schalke 04. Fun league to follow...zero excitement when you know who the winner will be on the 1st day of the season.

Premier League on the other hand should be good this season. Lots of interesting signings. James Rodriguez to Everton, Thiago to Liverpool, Bale back at Spurs. Havertz and Werner at Chelsea. Lots of cool stuff. Curious to see how it plays out.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kane is a playmaker now. Nice to get 4 assists and a goal from him. Good for my FPL team!

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Son 4 goals . All assisted by Harry Kane

Spurs played cack the first half, but full credit to Mourinho - he made the right adjustments (swapping Ndombele for Lo Celso) at half time to exploit Southampton's high line. Once they started getting service, Kane and Son started to abuse that line.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Spurs played cack the first half, but full credit to Mourinho - he made the right adjustments (swapping Ndombele for Lo Celso) at half time to exploit Southampton's high line. Once they started getting service, Kane and Son started to abuse that line.

How come Wan-Bissaka wasn't playing yesterday? Lack of fitness?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Liking Everton so far this season. Exciting team. Calvert-Lewin 5 goals to start the season and we're only 20 minutes into game 3. Defense might be an issue but a lot of firepower up front.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Liking Everton so far this season. Exciting team. Calvert-Lewin 5 goals to start the season and we're only 20 minutes into game 3. Defense might be an issue but a lot of firepower up front.

Ancelotti is as underrated as a manager who has won 3 UCL titles and crafted one of the best teams in recent history (early 2000s AC Milan) can be.

Everton has been done in recently by bad coaching (including Koeman - sorry) & inefficient recruitment (they literally brought in three #10s under Koeman).

I think DCL's scoring will drop off as teams start keying on him more, but that will leave more room for Richarlison.

James has also adapted better to EPL than I thought he would. I wasn't sure how well he would handle getting kickedn but he's done well so far.

It's still early though, and they've had pretty easy fixtures so far.

Reactions: Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Ancelotti is as underrated as a manager who has won 3 UCL titles and crafted one of the best teams in recent history (early 2000s AC Milan) can be.

Everton has been done in recently by bad coaching (including Koeman - sorry) & inefficient recruitment (they literally brought in three #10s under Koeman).

I think DCL's scoring will drop off as teams start keying on him more, but that will leave more room for Richarlison.

James has also adapted better to EPL than I thought he would. I wasn't sure how well he would handle getting kickedn but he's done well so far.

It's still early though, and they've had pretty easy fixtures so far.

Crystal Palace is a pretty good team though. Beat United as you may recall ;)

But yes, the Merseyside derby two weeks from now should be a good tussle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->