OT: Alphonso Davies (and other European football talk)

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Sounds like a good story. Zero interest in soccer, so I am sure I don't "get" the significance of this, but nice to see a Canadian doing well in something new. Kudos to him.
Not just a Canadian, an Edmontonian. And I believe an east ender. The only comparable would be Owen Hargreaves, but he was from Calgary, and I won’t mention who’s responsible for cutting him from the Alberta team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Well apparently they've given him an offer.

I wonder what @Zaddy and the other Barca fans on this board are thinking right now :laugh:

I'm not even mad honestly. He deserves way better than this management. It's been bad for a decade and a series of terrible decisions have been made in the past 3 years or so. Hopefully this accelerates the ousting of Bartomeu and have the club get back on track again. It's going to be a couple of brutal years without him though. But with the right coach and a clear vision things could turn around quickly. No idea if Koeman is that guy but he's certainly disruptive. There needs to be a change of culture in the club and maybe he's the one to bring about it. Interesting times if nothing else.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Also, petition to make this the official thread for European football. Would be nice to have some regular discussion on here.

Its hard to have the ongoing discussion though. Due to distribution rights I can't watch many or any games of the different leagues. I mean the sports listings regarding Soccer here are often so haphazard, and wrong, that I don't know when games are available for broadcast here or where to watch.

I'm a punter that feels like they pay enough already for TV, internet, I don't like having to buy or subscribe to a bunch of new channels. This is the major sport in the world and Canadian broadcasting of it is piecemeal as usual. I usually end up hearing about high profile games here after they occur. I dunno, if there could be heads up, and maybe people noting some viewing options..I can't comment on games I can't see, obviously.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Its hard to have the ongoing discussion though. Due to distribution rights I can't watch many or any games of the different leagues. I mean the sports listings regarding Soccer here are often so haphazard, and wrong, that I don't know when games are available for broadcast here or where to watch.

I'm a punter that feels like they pay enough already for TV, internet, I don't like having to buy or subscribe to a bunch of new channels. This is the major sport in the world and Canadian broadcasting of it is piecemeal as usual. I usually end up hearing about high profile games here after they occur. I dunno, if there could be heads up, and maybe people noting some viewing options..I can't comment on games I can't see, obviously.

TSN and Sportsnet dropped the ball on that one. They lost the CL rights and then lost the Prem right after.

Bundesliga is on Sportsnet, La Liga is on BeIn

Everything else is on DAZN.

Honestly for me personally without hockey and to some extent NBA, there's no reason to subscribe to TSN or Sportsnet anymore. It's SportsCentre all day with some ESPN talk shows in between. What a waste of time

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
TSN and Sportsnet dropped the ball on that one. They lost the CL rights and then lost the Prem right after.

Bundesliga is on Sportsnet, La Liga is on BeIn

Everything else is on DAZN.

Honestly for me personally without hockey and to some extent NBA, there's no reason to subscribe to TSN or Sportsnet anymore. It's SportsCentre all day with some ESPN talk shows in between. What a waste of time

I've never liked TSN as a broadcaster or any of their pundits. i know I'm atypical in that but can't stand the channel. Always thought it was the home of sports talk more than showing sports. To me always was a bait and switch channel, now more so. But I'm with Shaw and its usually part of a tier. I can't seem to get any discount for not having it. I only ever watched it for CFL.

Snet maybe made the right play with Bundesliga and Alphonso Davies interests being at a high but maybe should have covered more games. I barely found any on, and they sure weren't publicized a lot. The listing guide, for whatever reason is also often wrong for Snet whether it be hockey or whatever. So often the case a game is supposed to be on one channel, you try to program record, and it ends up wasn't on. So frustrating.

EchoesoftheEighties

Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Most the of BuLi games are on Sportsnet World which you have to subscribe to. Same with La Liga. Unless you're a die-hard BuLi or La Liga fan, spend that $20/month on DAZN and get basically everything else.

It's a great buy for me since I'm a Hockey 1A, Footy 1B guy. They have NFL on there too, some baseball, and even KHL. You get a lot of content for the price tbh

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Most the of BuLi games are on Sportsnet World which you have to subscribe to. Same with La Liga. Unless you're a die-hard BuLi or La Liga fan, spend that $20/month on DAZN and get basically everything else.

It's a great buy for me since I'm a Hockey 1A, Footy 1B guy. They have NFL on there too, some baseball, and even KHL. You get a lot of content for the price tbh

Seems so odd that in a NA market that has wanted to build Soccer for decades and that has MLS and other leagues is so corkscrewed when it comes to network coverage. I mean I shouldn't have to go off networks or specialty channels to find international Soccer product on the tube but yet here we are. Biggest sport in the world and you'd never know it living in NA.

I don't care much for the bolded. Was happy to see some Bundesliga.

tbh, due to viewing limitations most of what I watch is Euro qualifying, World Cup Qualifying, Eurocup, Worldcup, that sort of thing. I like the International play more than league play and the nationalistic impassioned fury that comes with it. heh

Being a Germany supporter its easy to like some of that. ;)

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Due to the time zone here and the fact that it's everywhere, I now watch way more EPL than all other sports combined. European games are usually too late for me, but I've been able to watch them since the re-start.

Hockey I can usually only watch weekend mornings of there's an Oilers game.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Davies' trajectory is a global star, and with that comes influence. With Edmonton almost a lock to secure a bid for hosting WC games prior to covid, I think it could have been possible to see Bayern play a friendly at Commonwealth in a couple years. I am sure Davies would love to play with his mega club in front of his friends and family.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Well, ahem, there are still ways to watch the games. I don't even own a TV or have any subscription whether for the NHL or any other sport except F1 (only reasonably priced service out there, ironically). Doesn't stop me from watching :)

EchoesoftheEighties

Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Davies' trajectory is a global star, and with that comes influence. With Edmonton almost a lock to secure a bid for hosting WC games prior to covid, I think it could have been possible to see Bayern play a friendly at Commonwealth in a couple years. I am sure Davies would love to play with his mega club in front of his friends and family.

Definitely hoping for this

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Also, side-note, does anyone follow Formula 1 in here? There are two Canadians competing this year, Nicholas Latifi for Williams and Lance Stroll for Racing Point (going to re-brand as Aston Martin next year). Unfortunately both guys are pay drivers. Lance's father is billionaire Lawrence Stroll.

But really fun sport to follow once you really get into it. If you're not, I'd suggest watching 'Drive to Survive' on Netflix. Great series which has gained F1 a huge amount of new fans.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
This is a Chelsea fan reacting to his team losing against Bayern Munich 0-3. Seems to know what he is talking about and has nice praise to Davies.

This is the game he was talking about.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

This is an issue for me.

I really want to start trying to get into soccer, but I can't even begin with trying to figure out where to watch anything.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
This is an issue for me.

I really want to start trying to get into soccer, but I can't even begin with trying to figure out where to watch anything.

NBC shows the big games in the US, but I don't know if you need a package for that.

Otherwise, reddit is your friend...

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Also, side-note, does anyone follow Formula 1 in here? There are two Canadians competing this year, Nicholas Latifi for Williams and Lance Stroll for Racing Point (going to re-brand as Aston Martin next year). Unfortunately both guys are pay drivers. Lance's father is billionaire Lawrence Stroll.

But really fun sport to follow once you really get into it. If you're not, I'd suggest watching 'Drive to Survive' on Netflix. Great series which has gained F1 a huge amount of new fans.

Love F1 and it’s nice to see Canadian drivers on the grid but like you mentioned, both those rides are bought. At least Racing point has a half decent car but Williams is a mess, which is funny because they have one of the most talented young drivers in Russell but I’m sure he’ll be poached by one of the big teams. I think Stroll is doing enough to keep his ride on merit, even if daddy is set to become chairman of the rebranded AM team. He’ll never be a premier F1 driver but he’s got a ton of laps, the best instruction money can buy, and a lot of races in high end circuits.

Will definitely be an interesting time to get into F1 with the new car rules coming into effect for ‘21 and possibly a lot of driver movement upcoming. Be interesting to see if Mercedes will maintain their dominance over the field. There were whispers of Lewis Hamilton joining the consortium that was turning racing point into Astin Martin and possibly making a move to become an owner/driver. I don’t see it happening but if it did happen it would shake up the entire sport, regardless Russell will probably be joining a stronger team, Vettel will be changing teams and other moves for sure. I’m sure we’ll see big changes at Ferrari as well, in the drivers seat and probably amongst engineering and team principles.

EchoesoftheEighties

Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I don't watch or follow football whatsoever. After watching that under the microscope bit, it's pretty clear that this kid is seriously special. Damn.

He's already one of the best in his position in the world. He's 19.

The guy is incredible honestly. He's still out of position defensively a little too often and relies on his pace to defend but with time he'll be fine. Offensively he's definitely a difference maker.

Long term he might even transition to a winger instead of LB but again HE'S NINETEEN. Amazing what he's doing at his age.

Exciting times for sure!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Love F1 and it’s nice to see Canadian drivers on the grid but like you mentioned, both those rides are bought. At least Racing point has a half decent car but Williams is a mess, which is funny because they have one of the most talented young drivers in Russell but I’m sure he’ll be poached by one of the big teams. I think Stroll is doing enough to keep his ride on merit, even if daddy is set to become chairman of the rebranded AM team. He’ll never be a premier F1 driver but he’s got a ton of laps, the best instruction money can buy, and a lot of races in high end circuits.

Will definitely be an interesting time to get into F1 with the new car rules coming into effect for ‘21 and possibly a lot of driver movement upcoming. Be interesting to see if Mercedes will maintain their dominance over the field. There were whispers of Lewis Hamilton joining the consortium that was turning racing point into Astin Martin and possibly making a move to become an owner/driver. I don’t see it happening but if it did happen it would shake up the entire sport, regardless Russell will probably be joining a stronger team, Vettel will be changing teams and other moves for sure. I’m sure we’ll see big changes at Ferrari as well, in the drivers seat and probably amongst engineering and team principles.

I'm curious to see how Williams does in the coming years considering they were recently sold and Claire finally stepped down now. I like her as a person but she was quite clearly out of her depth as a team principal. For Russell's sake I hope they keep improving. Latifi unfortunately does not look like a F1 driver but Williams needed the money he brought with him I guess.

Stroll has been fine and I'm starting to dislike Perez more and more. The way he squeezed Gasly at Spa at Eau Rouge was nasty and that's not the first time he's done that either. He did the exact same thing to Ocon (IIRC) in 2018, so I'm not against Stroll saying on and Perez leaving and having Vettel take his seat. That could be a decent duo actually.

I'm also curious about Mercedes if Toto Wolff leaves. Things could gradually start to fall apart if he's not around anymore. For the parity of the sport I'd welcome it even though it would in a way be a shame because what Mercedes have been able to do under his watch has been nothing short of incredible. They are the gold standard of the sport with how they run their team in every facet, from engineering to communication, driver performance etc.

And what's going on with Ferrari is just crazy. Every race they manage to make themselves look even more incompetent. It's hilarious and absurd at the same time. Really feel bad for Charles especially who has really been pushing and done everything in his power to get results. Even worse for Sainz if Ferrari keeps shitting the bed next year. Going from McLaren (who will have Mercedes engines next year) to an underpowered Ferrari team. Rough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->