OT: Alphonso Davies (and other European football talk)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Probably wasn't expecting to get the ball back, and he was slightly off-balance but yeah, can't squander chances like that if you hope to beat Bayern.

Even so, a soft touch to the far post and this is a different game. An elite player like Mbappe should have scored that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yep. Their front three really didn't get much done. I would've liked to see Icardi play. They could've rolled the same 4-2-3-1 system Bayern does, just move out Paredes for Icardi. Would've made them much more threatening, although possibly more vulnerable defensively.

I would have rather seen Wanda out there than Mauro.....

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
So did they win like the main title? Or some sort of tournament title?

They won the UEFA Champions League and the Bundesliga title. Earlier they also won the DFB-Pokal (the German national cup competition) earlier this year.

The UCL is a tournament competition for all the European football teams, but yeah the closest hockey comparable is the Stanley Cup. The only way you qualify is by being in the top 3 (or 4) teams in your country.

Davies is the first Canadian International to ever win the UCL.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Sounds like a good story. Zero interest in soccer, so I am sure I don't "get" the significance of this, but nice to see a Canadian doing well in something new. Kudos to him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sounds like a good story. Zero interest in soccer, so I am sure I don't "get" the significance of this, but nice to see a Canadian doing well in something new. Kudos to him.

It is huge as the US and Canada traditionally have not had many world class soccer players. That and this is the biggest trophy for the biggest sport in the world. It is massive and something for Canadians to have a sense of pride over.

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It is huge as the US and Canada traditionally have not had many world class soccer players. That and this is the biggest trophy for the biggest sport in the world. It is massive and something for Canadians to have a sense of pride over.

Hes no Randy Furbey but hes got lots of time to get there!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Sheer joy of a player. Moreso that his game is so informed and dimensional. I've seen a lot of players that can shake and bake, and do it all day and its largely all they got. But with Davies he beats you one on one with that, or with pace, or with seeing the pitch like he has a magic camera installed in his head. There he is undressing someone one on one, hard enough to do at high level of play, and yet there is he is the same moment picking apart a D and 3 defenders with a precision pass for a goal.

As if shis isn't enough brilliant moments of defending and surgically removing the ball from his own box, stripping opponents clean. This is my ball!

What a joy to watch. You look at Davies and its why the world loved Pele. You love watching the joy of soccer, the joy of a player that learned to do so much on a pitch, and spent his whole life honing those remarkable skills.

Finally, an additional joy because this guy loves to beat guys with plays, with staying on his feet, not by jumping down all over the pitch like he was shot, which he could do a lot and draw calls.

This is my favorite type of Pro athlete. A player that you can bring kids to a game and just say watch Alphonso Davies. On cue he will do something electric that will stay in your mind forever. The greats, whatever sport, they have the power to do that.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Sheer joy of a player. Moreso that his game is so informed and dimensional. I've seen a lot of players that can shake and bake, and do it all day and its largely all they got. But with Davies he beats you one on one with that, or with pace, or with seeing the pitch like he has a magic camera installed in his head. There he is undressing someone one on one, hard enough to do at high level of play, and yet there is he is the same moment picking apart a D and 3 defenders with a precision pass for a goal.

As if shis isn't enough brilliant moments of defending and surgically removing the ball from his own box, stripping opponents clean. This is my ball!

What a joy to watch. You look at Davies and its why the world loved Pele. You love watching the joy of soccer, the joy of a player that learned to do so much on a pitch, and spent his whole life honing those remarkable skills.

Finally, an additional joy because this guy loves to beat guys with plays, with staying on his feet, not by jumping down all over the pitch like he was shot, which he could do a lot and draw calls.

This is my favorite type of Pro athlete. A player that you can bring kids to a game and just say watch Alphonso Davies. On cue he will do something electric that will stay in your mind forever. The greats, whatever sport, they have the power to do that.

I've always had healthy curiosity with football but couldn't take too much attention from the Oilers. But having Davies representing Canada, and proudly an Edmontonian, gives me renewed interest and definitely will start paying attention to Bayern as my first official FC club to cheer for, finally!

I'm not an expert on football, but I've seen highlights of some amazing players in football online. But Watching that Davies highlights, I am shocked just how good he is. He is playing against the best in the world, and not only is he holding his own, he looks flat out dominating in some plays. Football always has this bad reputation of diving, and probably the one of the main reasons I don't watch the games too often, but if you get to see actually skill, and strategy to beat your opponent. That is something that will get my attention. I look forward in learning more about game while cheering for Alphonso Davies and FC Bayern Munich!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I'm not an expert on football, but I've seen highlights of some amazing players in football online. But Watching that Davies highlights, I am shocked just how good he is. He is playing against the best in the world, and not only is he holding his own, he looks flat out dominating in some plays.

As someone who's living in Germany and always keeping an eye on the Bundesliga, I can tell you that he's definitely raising some eyebrows here in a good way!
Unsurprisingly, most folks here know very little about Canadian soccer. Probably Paul Stalteri is the only previous Canadian player anybody could name(former CMNT captain, and won the Bundesliga and German cup with Bremen in 2004), so they didn't really know what to expect with Davies.

So far, I'd say he's blown most people's expectations away. His coaches, teammates, the fans in Munich, and the media absolutely love the kid. It's been great to see.

Reactions: Dorian2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As someone who's living in Germany and always keeping an eye on the Bundesliga, I can tell you that he's definitely raising some eyebrows here in a good way!
Unsurprisingly, most folks here know very little about Canadian soccer. Probably Paul Stalteri is the only previous Canadian player anybody could name(former CMNT captain, and won the Bundesliga and German cup with Bremen in 2004), so they didn't really know what to expect with Davies.

So far, I'd say he's blown most people's expectations away. His coaches, teammates, the fans in Munich, and the media absolutely love the kid. It's been great to see.

It helps a lot that he's not just a physical talent. I mentioned this early. He's not just shake and bake and beating people one on one. His game is so analytical, surgical. His passes into the box, and vision there, sublime. His pace and quick strike counter ability, and that he plays all ends willingly. The complete player aspects, it makes him even more popular in Germany. Its so great that he's not a dimestore tricks player, he's the complete deal player. He's just good all over the pitch.

Myself I love how many sensible plays he makes. Unlike others he recognizes if nothing is there, and will make a smart play, instead of going for gold all the time. This is a Gretzky. That he is so young, this good, and hails from Canada. Amazing player.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It helps a lot that he's not just a physical talent. I mentioned this early. He's not just shake and bake and beating people one on one. His game is so analytical, surgical. His passes into the box, and vision there, sublime. His pace and quick strike counter ability, and that he plays all ends willingly. The complete player aspects, it makes him even more popular in Germany. Its so great that he's not a dimestore tricks player, he's the complete deal player. He's just good all over the pitch.

Myself I love how many sensible plays he makes. Unlike others he recognizes if nothing is there, and will make a smart play, instead of going for gold all the time. This is a Gretzky. That he is so young, this good, and hails from Canada. Amazing player.
Hails from little old Edmonchuk, even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->