OT: Alphonso Davies (and other European football talk)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bayern having a romp thru the Champions league has lessened the pain of the NHL bubble playoffs.

What a game (sorry Zaddy), like Drive said, more crazy than the Brazil dismantling.

Lewandowski with an MVP year, Muller et al coming back to life and watching the emergence of Davies with Bayern makes this year as a fan all the better

Funny story about that. I was on a fishing trip in Sweden at the time and was camping at this place that was filled with Germans (we get a ton of them every summer, they love Sweden) and every time Germany scored the whole camping erupted. It was a pretty surreal experience all around haha.

A German company also created this hilarious pack of sausages lol.

germanja-zalzett-brazil.jpg

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Why not both?

What is there to hate, honestly? It's not like they made some big splash and bought Messi. Without Barca there would be no Messi. He had a growth hormone disorder and Barca signed him as a 14 year old and agreed to pay for his treatment which neither his family nor his Argentinian club at the time could afford. So they are every bit as responsible for developing the best footballer of all time. And until the last decade or so they didn't really make any big signings (unlike a certain Madrid-based team), most of their biggest stars (Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol etc) came from their academy. So I really don't see why any should hate them. Dislike them for their success, sure, but they earned it. They didn't buy their way to the top like Real, Chelsea, City or PSG.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Funny story about that. I was on a fishing trip in Sweden at the time and was camping at this place that was filled with Germans (we get a ton of them every summer, they love Sweden) and every time Germany scored the whole camping erupted. It was a pretty surreal experience all around haha.

A German company also created this hilarious pack of sausages lol.

germanja-zalzett-brazil.jpg

That's amazing, thanks for sharing the story and the picture Zaddy! (The sausage package is an epic troll lol). I've heard Germans seem to love Sweden, is it mostly because of the camping opportunities or are they kind of all over (touring the cities too)?

Reactions: Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That's amazing, thanks for sharing the story and the picture Zaddy! (The sausage package is an epic troll lol). I've heard Germans seem to love Sweden, is it mostly because of the camping opportunities or are they kind of all over (touring the cities too)?

They come for the nature. They have an uncanny ability to find lakes in the most remote places. Not sure how they do it.

Another funny story is when I had a German friend come over and we drove to Norway together. He wanted to get out of Germany and rid himself of the Germans. Little did he know that the place we ended up in had far more Germans than either Norwegians or Swedes. They're everywhere.

Btw, the place we visited was Preikestolen. Stunning place. Norway's nature is unparalleled.

f_im_jpg_750x563.jpg

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
They come for the nature. They have an uncanny ability to find lakes in the most remote places. Not sure how they do it.

Another funny story is when I had a German friend come over and we drove to Norway together. He wanted to get out of Germany and rid himself of the Germans. Little did he know that the place we ended up in had far more Germans than either Norwegians or Swedes. They're everywhere.

Btw, the place we visited was Preikestolen. Stunning place. Norway's nature is unparalleled.

f_im_jpg_750x563.jpg

Makes sense. I haven't been anywhere in Scandinavia yet but whenever I make it over I'll want to spend most of the time exploring the nature as well (but really want to check out the cities too). Interesting, a lot of the Germans I've met here are quite into camping and hiking and such so I can totally see that

Lol really ironic, he thought they wouldn't all be thinking the same thing I guess :laugh::D

Wow! :amazed: Absolutely stunning for real! I've always wanted to explore Norway and Sweden, get in touch with some of my roots and take in the natural beauty there. Finland is on the list too because it seems interesting like the people that inhabit it :thumbu:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Lol found a tweet that summarizes the stupidity of Barcelona management (well Bartomeu in particular)

:facepalm:

I feel your pain. I'm a long-term United supporter. Apparently one of our scouts (Jorge Alvial) suggested that United buy Pulisic and Davies 3 years ago when the cost for both would have been £35 million combined. They sacked the scout instead. :facepalm:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I've heard Germans seem to love Sweden, is it mostly because of the camping opportunities or are they kind of all over (touring the cities too)?

Just wanted to add, generally you'll find Germans everywhere in Europe. Netherlands, France, Poland, Czechia, Scandinavia, Spain, Italy, Croatia: doesn't matter. Germans are there! I guess traveling is just a huge part of German culture these days, and they've got the money and free-time (minimum 24-work days of holiday annually) to make it happen.

It's a bit annoying actually. You want to go on vacation and get away and it feels like half the country has the same idea :laugh:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How good do you think Arthur will be in Serie A?

I think he'll do well. Probably a bit of an adjustment period and he's still young and lacking in experience, but he has a lot of talent. I think Juve is a good place for him to develop. With Matuidi gone and Pjanic going the other way he should have plenty of opportunity for playing time.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^"Norways nature is unparalleled"

Really, you're posting in the home of the wondrous Canadian Rockies and stating this?

One could say nature is unparalleled. But wondrous natural places exist all over, and here.

375090.jpg

the-ramparts-from-amethyst-lake-in-the-tonquin-valley-jasper-national-BDC28B.jpg

1*jsi-gJBn298-Z415voGj9Q.jpeg

51btvwb37wtz.jpg

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
@Drivesaitl Actually I thought about adding a comment that you guys from Alberta & Northwestern Canada are no strangers to beautiful nature either. But to me Norway is in another tier. The only other place that can rival it in beauty is Switzerland. But what stands out about Norway compared to other mountainous regions is that it's on the ocean as well, so you get cool places like The Atlantic Road and cozy towns and villages along the coast in addition to the gorgeous fjords.

Hand-Luggage-Only-20-1.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000584090008.jpg

Hand-Luggage-Only-30.jpg

StormAtlanticRoad_PhotoSteinarMelby_3e0f3dac-5d5f-4f0b-9e3b-a7bd5bcb2877.jpg

Hand-Luggage-Only-25.jpg

Hand-Luggage-Only-31.jpg

Hand-Luggage-Only-29.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Its all good. Furthering the appreciation of Nature, anywhere is the Win. Just pointing out that such beauty abounds, In Norway, Rockies, many places. We're the lucky ones if we live close enough to experience it regularly.

My first look at pictures of Norway was when I was around 7. Over 50yrs ago and I always thought it would be a beautiful place to visit. Life willing, maybe I get there sometime. It seems the kind of place I would enjoy.

haha, that soccer pitch, well, thats gotta be about the most picturesque sports field I've seen. What happens if you lose the ball? ;)

Thanks for the images.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Since I can’t ‘like’ right now, going to say agreed @Drivesaitl and @Zaddy (town in the second photo looks crazy...wow. Like Drive said would love to kick around a ball on that pitch lol).

Just got back from Banff a few weeks ago and heading down to Waterton in a couple more. Blessed here as well for sure. But I’ll never forget going thru the Swiss alps. Something magical about them. Rockies are beautiful of course too but they’re different. Part of what draws me to Norway, it’s another different aesthetic to the beauty even if similar.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Since I can’t ‘like’ right now, going to say agreed @Drivesaitl and @Zaddy (town in the second photo looks crazy...wow. Like Drive said would love to kick around a ball on that pitch lol).

Just got back from Banff a few weeks ago and heading down to Waterton in a couple more. Blessed here as well for sure. But I’ll never forget going thru the Swiss alps. Something magical about them. Rockies are beautiful of course too but they’re different. Part of what draws me to Norway, it’s another different aesthetic to the beauty even if similar.

Would be on my bucket list but for most people the prohibitive expense of going to the Swiss Alps keeps many away. Plus that I can camp in the rockies, hardly any financial expenditure, the Canadian Rockies are comparable in splendor, and much more remote, unspoiled, which is what I like. Can't justify dropping 25K or so for a swiss vacay when I can go to the Rockies, anywhere here, for a 200buck weekend or longer excursion. Plus I know my way around these mountains and hikes and feel comfortable in them. Don't think my frugality would really fit in Switzerland.

If I was from some country or province that didn't have mountains Swiss Alps would be a must see. But I just can't capture that thirst while living in Alberta. Maybe I'm not getting something, what the differential appeal would be.

I've wanted to visit places like Iceland, Norway as well but just so expensive.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Would be on my bucket list but for most people the prohibitive expense of going to the Swiss Alps keeps many away. Plus that I can camp in the rockies, hardly any financial expenditure, the Canadian Rockies are comparable in splendor, and much more remote, unspoiled, which is what I like. Can't justify dropping 25K or so for a swiss vacay when I can go to the Rockies, anywhere here, for a 200buck weekend or longer excursion. Plus I know my way around these mountains and hikes and feel comfortable in them. Don't think my frugality would really fit in Switzerland.

If I was from some country or province that didn't have mountains Swiss Alps would be a must see. But I just can't capture that thirst while living in Alberta. Maybe I'm not getting something, what the differential appeal would be.

I've wanted to visit places like Iceland, Norway as well but just so expensive.

I'd think many people would go there because of the cultural experience as opposed to the Rockies here in AB. It's a vastly different experience in that part of the world. Have you been to Germany/Switzerland? Just curious as my Dad used to take the 3 hour drive to the Swiss Alps from Baden when I was a kid. Never got to go myself but I do remember the Gasthaus's, the Black Forest, castles, and the Karneval(Fasching) where the witches would take us kids from our parents and put us in their wooden barred wagon if we didn't have a ward around our necks . It was horrifying as a 5 year old. :eek:

FipljA8.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd think many people would go there because of the cultural experience as opposed to the Rockies here in AB. It's a vastly different experience in that part of the world. Have you been to Germany/Switzerland? Just curious as my Dad used to take the 3 hour drive to the Swiss Alps from Baden when I was a kid. Never got to go myself but I do remember the Gasthaus's, the Black Forest, castles, and the Karneval(Fasching) where the witches would take us kids from our parents and put us in their wooden barred wagon if we didn't have a ward around our necks . It was horrifying as a 5 year old. :eek:

FipljA8.jpg
Would've maybe like to go to Germany, as thats where my father came from. We never made it there as a family, and less working class people did go back on such pilgrimages at the time. none of us are jetsetters. Parents never set foot on a plane and never really wanted to. They came over, immigrated, on a freighter with some low cost steerage type accommodation, which is to say none other than cots. The rust bucket took close to two weeks to cross in rough atlantic winter conditions and mom thought she was dying. I think she never wanted to travel far again after that experience.

This is more philosophical than anything but my parents immigrated 7yrs after WWII. They wanted to sever connection with Germany, and the memories contained there. Many war immigrants here being like that.

Sounds like your dad was on a military base and so a different experience with the country, culture. We were a german immigrant family and yet had a lot of misgivings, passioned disagreements, etc. Going to school we were told pretty much to assimilate, and not even acknowledge our heritage, except our surname was obvious picking. To fit in here, growing up in 50's(brother) or 60's (me) you had to distance from all things German to not be the subject of school yard ostracism. I mean its fine, I understand it, I understood the hate, accepted it really. But as a family none of us kids wanted to go to Germany and our parents didn't want to further "German" us, knowing full well how this would impact our lives in Canada.

All that said, I still feel German connection somehow, even though there is no connection. Not with family relatives, nothing. Parents chose to not maintain or further any connections. The old country also doubling as the bad country. My parents flee'd there probably looking to distance from endless horrible memories.

The reality is I probably won't ever go visit. Especially in pandemic times it just seems like future is very much an unknown.

Its interesting that you mention the specific tradition and how it impacted briefly as a child. My parents acquainted us with endless german lore, tales, faebles, and its just so dark, disturbing, and part of a very punitive psyche towards children. Most of it being meant, seemingly, to intimidate, scare us. Ward us from the evil we evidently were just for being children...

There exists somewhere in that german psyche a very dark, mean spirited ethic. Spare the rod spoil the child and much much worse. I wanted no part of any of that even if my parents were very much punishment inclined. We were severely beaten as kids, really for anything. Beatings were unavoidable in the home. From parents that rarely knew any happiness or pleasure and that had experienced too much suffering, misery, and hardship. Who instead were both alcoholics to cope with even existing.

I can't say it doesn't impact me still. It remains part of who you are.

Sorry for all that, but probably no to Germany, too many bad memories of the underlying culture. Or the evil that did exist.

Way too much for a hockey board, I realize, but where my head is at presently.

I mean this is the kind of parenting guidance my parents had....man

Harsh Nazi Parenting Guidelines May Still Affect German Children of Today

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

f_im_jpg_750x563.jpg
Wow that view is just stunning.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Just wanted to add, generally you'll find Germans everywhere in Europe. Netherlands, France, Poland, Czechia, Scandinavia, Spain, Italy, Croatia: doesn't matter. Germans are there! I guess traveling is just a huge part of German culture these days, and they've got the money and free-time (minimum 24-work days of holiday annually) to make it happen.

It's a bit annoying actually. You want to go on vacation and get away and it feels like half the country has the same idea :laugh:

I could definitely see it, given the ease of getting around and the central location (and usually a strong economy there?). I know it’s different but it’s almost like Canadians going from province to province.

Is it like in France where literally everyone takes vacation at the same time? (Like our long weekends on steroids where not many people are home lol)

Bangers

May 31, 2006
So ... umm ... Alphonso is a great player, yeah?

I hope he has another great game next week ... and Bayern loses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad