OT:Al Michaels to NBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
Michaels would be FAR more likely to do play-by-play than to be in studio. I hadn't thought about that aspect of his move to NBC, but I like the idea.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think they'd push him into PbP for a sport that he is most likely unfamiliar with. And I don't think he'd be quick enough for the job. Although he did do the NBA finals, you can get away with the passive PbP in the NBA.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Scugs said:
I don't think they'd push him into PbP for a sport that he is most likely unfamiliar with. And I don't think he'd be quick enough for the job. Although he did do the NBA finals, you can get away with the passive PbP in the NBA.
I can't think of anything that would make me believe Al Michaels could work hockey! :sarcasm: :biglaugh:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hasbro said:
I can't think of anything that would make me believe Al Michaels could work hockey! :sarcasm: :biglaugh:

Yeah, no kidding. :D

Al Michaels as the PBP man on NBC's hockey broadcast is the best thing that could happen to it from both a quality and a business standpoint. In addition to being the best voice in sports, he would bring instant mainstream credibility to the show.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm thinking doubleheaders....

I almost can't fathom this though. Al Michaels is like Greg Gumbel, Bob Costas and Joe Buck are to their networks

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Let's hope not, he hasn't done a hockey game in 25 years.

I'm more than fine with Doc, JD and Pierre.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Stevedude530 said:
Let's hope not, he hasn't done a hockey game in 25 years.

I'm more than fine with Doc, JD and Pierre.
he's very passionate about hockey however and has said so many times on mnf - and his cred in the sports makeup of america is huge

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Stevedude530 said:
I've never heard him say so, can you point to a few times when he's said it?
i found some of these bits to show you

" The Miracle on Ice

Two of Michaels' more famous broadcasts were of the 1980 Winter Olympics ice hockey medal round match between the United States and the Soviet Union, and the attempted third game of the 1989 World Series.

In 1980, an unheralded group of amateur ice hockey players from the United States won the Gold Medal at the Olympic Winter Games. The medal round match on February 22—which, contrary to popular belief, did not assure the team of the gold medal—was of particular interest, as it was played against a heavily favored squad from the Soviet Union, and was in front of a partisan American crowd in Lake Placid, New York whipped into a patriotic fervor by the Cold War. Michaels' memorable broadcast of this game, including his interjection—"Do you believe in miracles? YES!"—as time expired on the 4-3 U.S. victory, earned the game the media nickname of "The Miracle on Ice".

Michaels along with broadcasting partner, Ken Dryden, recreated their Olympic commentatory in the 2004 movie Miracle. Although Michaels and Dryden recreated the bulk of their commentary for the film, the closing seconds of the game against the Soviet Union used the actual original ABC Sports commentary from 1980. Gavin O'Connor, the director of Miracle, decided to use the last 10 seconds of Michaels' original "Do you believe in miracles?" call in the film because he felt he couldn't ask him to recreate the emotion he experienced at that moment. Thus they cleaned up the recording to make the transition to the authentic call as seamlessly as possible "

" He did play-by-play during ABC Sports' coverage of the Stanley Cup playoffs in 1993, and was the primary host for the network's Stanley Cup Finals coverage in 2000, 2001 and 2002. "

whenever hockey comes up on the broadcast he usually has an anecdote or two to share -

well i googled about and really couldnt find any actual quotes from game telecasts but as is proof above he's a fan - carry on

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Al Michaels was never the 'primary host' for the finals in 2000-03. More kiind of like letting everyone who was watching know he was there

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
"But NBC didn't get Michaels for nothing. According to the SI.com article, ESPN and its parent company, Disney, received the following items in exchange for Michaels, who was under contract with the cable network: the cable rights to the Friday broadcasts of the next four Ryder Cups, "increased usage of Olympic highlights" (whatever that means), and the rights to the cartoon character Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, which appeared in silent Disney cartoon shorts in the late 1920s."

Shouldn't this be in the trade and rumours board? :sarcasm:

No One

Dec 1, 2003
Staples Center
Visit site
Scugs said:
I think he is (or at least was) a STH for the Kings. He loves the sport. I wish they would have (O.K., since he is Al Freakin' Michaels, ask) him do PbP for the NHL, if not this season, then next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->