O'Sullivan VS Semin....

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I know that O'sullivan has the potentiel to be a 1st line player, but Semin has a road block called Ovechkin in front of him. So I was wondering, who out of the 2 is gonna be the best left wing... next year and in the future ????

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
REALLY tough to argue against Patrick O'Sullivan in this one. Patrick played in the AHL last year and just totally tore it up.

2005-06 Houston Aeros AHL 78 47 46 93 64

Semin played in the elite league and scored 3 goals in 26 games. I know it's a more defensive league, but I think that when you're talking about the development of a young player they need to dominate a pro league before they have the confidence to do it in the NHL. O'Sullivan pretty easy for me. Semin was trashed last year by many for his poor season and his below average lockout year.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
REALLY tough to argue against Patrick O'Sullivan in this one. Patrick played in the AHL last year and just totally tore it up.

2005-06 Houston Aeros AHL 78 47 46 93 64

Semin played in the elite league and scored 3 goals in 26 games. I know it's a more defensive league, but I think that when you're talking about the development of a young player they need to dominate a pro league before they have the confidence to do it in the NHL. O'Sullivan pretty easy for me. Semin was trashed last year by many for his poor season and his below average lockout year.

Agreed.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Don't know O'Sullivan well enough to make a comparison though as a caps fan I'm familiar with Semin of course. These vs. threads should have a policy that the fans of neither prospect's team can post, heh.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
O'Sullivan at age 21 in the 2005-2006 AHL playoffs - 8 games, 5 goals, 5 assists

Semin at age 20 in the 2003-2004 AHL playoffs - 7 games, 4 goals, 7 assists.

Semin had a very bad year on a team plauged by problems in the RSL, but to say this is a slam dunk is off-base. Semin played well in his small sampling of 11 AHL games he played, and was better in the playoffs than the regular season. Semin had 3 goals and 3 assists for Russia's 2006 World Championship team - what numbers did O'Sullivan put up?

How would O'Sullivan done in the RSL? Unknown. But this isn't a run-away victory by either player.

Ed - And agree, usiel's policy would be well served.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
O'sullivan has got a better attitude and can play all 3 positions at forward and is a future captian (well, we've got alot of those in boyle, gleason, cammi, lewis, etc. i pick O'sullivan and that's not becuase im a kings fan, i wanted him since he was drafted and i was very suprised the kings ****ing passed on him 3 times!!!!! i was extremely happy to get him in the demitra deal! its a pitty to give up demitra but we got o sullivan along with a 1st rounder!!!

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
O'sullivan has got a better attitude and can play all 3 positions at forward and is a future captian (well, we've got alot of those in boyle, gleason, cammi, lewis, etc. i pick O'sullivan and that's not becuase im a kings fan, i wanted him since he was drafted and i was very suprised the kings ****ing passed on him 3 times!!!!! i was extremely happy to get him in the demitra deal! its a pitty to give up demitra but we got o sullivan along with a 1st rounder!!!

O'Sullivan a better attitude? I wouldn't go that far. This is the same kid that had alot of problems in junior because of his attitude and ego. Could he have matured? Sure, but what's to say it doesn't return, or Semin doesn't develop a better attitude being around Ovechkin all year? I don't see how anyone can say this is that clear cut because it's just not. It's more or less a saw off until we see them both in NHL action. It's quite possible that Semin doesn't even stay left wing and instead moves to right wing to play with Ovechkin so this debate could be mute.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
O'Sullivan at age 21 in the 2005-2006 AHL playoffs - 8 games, 5 goals, 5 assists

Semin at age 20 in the 2003-2004 AHL playoffs - 7 games, 4 goals, 7 assists.

Semin had a very bad year on a team plauged by problems in the RSL, but to say this is a slam dunk is off-base. Semin played well in his small sampling of 11 AHL games he played, and was better in the playoffs than the regular season. Semin had 3 goals and 3 assists for Russia's 2006 World Championship team - what numbers did O'Sullivan put up?

How would O'Sullivan done in the RSL? Unknown. But this isn't a run-away victory by either player.

Ed - And agree, usiel's policy would be well served.

Semin played well in 11. O'Sullivan played great in 88 games counting playoffs. Theres a difference in playing well in 11 games at the end of the season and playing great from day 1 of the season to the very end. Both players have a lot to prove in the NHL. Semin just has more question marks about him.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Semin played well in 11. O'Sullivan played great in 88 games counting playoffs. Theres a difference in playing well in 11 games at the end of the season and playing great from day 1 of the season to the very end. Both players have a lot to prove in the NHL. Semin just has more question marks about him.

Not sure if I agree about Semin having more question marks. He produced at the NHL level, something that O'Sullivan hasn't done yet.

I'd love to have either one on my team, and would probably prefer O'Sullivan slightly at this point, but I can't see anyone calling it a slam dunk.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Not sure if I agree about Semin having more question marks. He produced at the NHL level, something that O'Sullivan hasn't done yet.

I'd love to have either one on my team, and would probably prefer O'Sullivan slightly at this point, but I can't see anyone calling it a slam dunk.

Question marks of is he going to go Zherdev and threaten to go back to Russia down the line when he doesnt get the contract he wants. Plus you have to look at how things have gone so far during his short career.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
O'Sullivan a better attitude? I wouldn't go that far. This is the same kid that had alot of problems in junior because of his attitude and ego. Could he have matured? Sure, but what's to say it doesn't return, or Semin doesn't develop a better attitude being around Ovechkin all year? I don't see how anyone can say this is that clear cut because it's just not. It's more or less a saw off until we see them both in NHL action. It's quite possible that Semin doesn't even stay left wing and instead moves to right wing to play with Ovechkin so this debate could be mute.

You mean the attitude problems he had when his ******* of a dad was around? I wouldn't put much stock into that now that pops is out of his life.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The reason that many are calling it a slam dunk is because O'Sullivan has been groomed like a normal prospect and Alexander Semin has taken a Stanislav Chistov type approach to his development. Stanislav Chistov is ...."NHL proven", as well but that doesn't mean i'd take him ahead of either of these players mentioned.

When you leave North America and play hockey in another league, it's almost like a step back in a young player's development. Not because the leagues over there aren't competative, it's actually detrimental because they're not getting accustomed to the North American style, and might as well be playing on a differant planet. When you reach a point in your development, if your ultimate goal is to play in the NHL, then you run out of things that the SEL and the Elite league can teach you about the North American game. If you're not good enough to jump straight in, then you have to put your time in the AHL like every other prospect has to do. Semin selected an alternative to this, and I think it has hampered his development. Had he played in the AHL for two solid years, put up great point totals like O'Sullivan and honed his defensive game, there is a GREAT chance that this poll would be slid in his favor. With O'Sullivan proving that he can adapt to a similar style in the AHL, he's getting more benefit for being able to translate that ability to a league, albeit better talent, just like it in the NHL.

lehtonen06

Sep 4, 2006
i cant wait to see sullivan play, ive heard so much about him throughout the last 2 years so i hope that he can accomplish what people are expecting from him

as far as semin, i havent heard many good things about him, from his attitude to his no chance of playing with ovechkin so he will never shine or grow, all i can say is good luck to washington to keeping a continuous progress on his development

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
I think Semin will be fine. It was kind of off season for him (like it was for Zherdev in 2003-04 when he scored 2 goals in 20 RSL games) with the difficulties he had (military obligations that forced him to stay, then moving to another team because of Lada financial problems). I don't really see he regressed anyhow (though I don't see he progressed either). After all he made World Championship national team and was good enough for the second line duties.

Semin stats from the past season: http://metallurg.ru/base/player/3246/

Lada (regular season): 16gp 5g 4a 9pts
Khimik (regular season): 10g 0g 2a 2pts
Rosno Cup (Euro Hockey Tour): 3gp 1g 0a 1pts
-Olympic break-
Khimik (regular season): 16gp 3g 5a 8pts
Khimik (play-offs): 8gp 3g 2a 5pts
Sweden Games (Euro Hockey Tour): 3gp 3g 0a 3pts
World Championship: 7gp 3g 3a 6pts

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Question marks of is he going to go Zherdev and threaten to go back to Russia down the line when he doesnt get the contract he wants. Plus you have to look at how things have gone so far during his short career.

He already signed a new contract this offseason, its not an issue.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
The reason that many are calling it a slam dunk is because O'Sullivan has been groomed like a normal prospect and Alexander Semin has taken a Stanislav Chistov type approach to his development. Stanislav Chistov is ...."NHL proven", as well but that doesn't mean i'd take him ahead of either of these players mentioned.

When you leave North America and play hockey in another league, it's almost like a step back in a young player's development. Not because the leagues over there aren't competative, it's actually detrimental because they're not getting accustomed to the North American style, and might as well be playing on a differant planet. When you reach a point in your development, if your ultimate goal is to play in the NHL, then you run out of things that the SEL and the Elite league can teach you about the North American game. If you're not good enough to jump straight in, then you have to put your time in the AHL like every other prospect has to do. Semin selected an alternative to this, and I think it has hampered his development. Had he played in the AHL for two solid years, put up great point totals like O'Sullivan and honed his defensive game, there is a GREAT chance that this poll would be slid in his favor. With O'Sullivan proving that he can adapt to a similar style in the AHL, he's getting more benefit for being able to translate that ability to a league, albeit better talent, just like it in the NHL.

While I totally understand people picking O'Sullivan I dont think you are dialed into the Semin situation as well as you think......

It sounds like you are blaming Semin for not playing 2 seasons in the AHL, when in fact that really isnt his fault. He came over for his rookie season and had to ride the pine at tail end of the Cassidy/Jagr debacle...not only was the team terrible but totally dysfunctional to boot. He joined the AHL to help in the playoffs...and was dominant. It was his choice to play in his home country, for more money, in a better league than the AHL during the lockout. I would have liked to have seem him come over but you cant really blame him. Important as it may be, the only thing he really missed out on was the NA culture and getting used to it. Thats the only season that he could have (and arguably should have) been in the AHL. Simply put he played in a better league than the AHL during the lockout

Semin has a lot to prove this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad