O'Sullivan vs Schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Russian_fanatic said:
And because of the crazy ammount of skill he posses.

Well O'Sullivan also plays a better defensive game judging from the WJC's...I saw London vs the Rangers and Schremps defensive game left alot to be desired that game....Although I hear he's improving.

Simply put, I like both players alot and that the NHL needs more of.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Sammy said:
30 teams on him not because of what his wretched father did, its because of Patricks (allegedly) wretched attitude, plus I am sure their are some issues surrounding his actual hockey playing abilities.

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

The issues, as with Schremp, were overblown but even further. The kid is a very solid prospect and a very good person. Whoever says he has a wretched attitude and issues surrounding his hockey abilities isn't watching Patrick play.

I think Schremp is overrated a tad by the Oilers (a 9C??? WTF) but both of these players will be very good hockey players in the future. I would pick either or.

Sammy*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

The issues, as with Schremp, were overblown but even further. The kid is a very solid prospect and a very good person. Whoever says he has a wretched attitude and issues surrounding his hockey abilities isn't watching Patrick play.

I think Schremp is overrated a tad by the Oilers (a 9C??? WTF) but both of these players will be very good hockey players in the future. I would pick either or.
So you really think teams give a crap about a guys background? :shakehead :shakehead
If they dont think the guys background impacts on his character, they could care less.

The only thing they care about is size, skill level & character.
You might think the scouts were misguided, maybe, but they have absolutly no agenda other than to get what they figure is the best player available.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think background is a consideration ala both Schremp and O'Sullivan. Both of them fell because of problems dealing with their personal lives.

I think that issues like O'Sullivan impacted his life more than Schremp, but I also think they were vastly overblown. That and O'Sullivan has really grown up since he was picked by the Wild and his hockey skills or lack of there of, has really expanded.

I think they look at the background and wonder if it would make an impact on a person...

I also don't really get what you're saying except that if they figure to get the best player avaliable, O'Sullivan wouldn't have dropped as far as he had.

Sammy*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
I also don't really get what you're saying except that if they figure to get the best player avaliable, O'Sullivan wouldn't have dropped as far as he had.

Is all about projecting into the future as a player (which includes character). Obviously 30 teams or so with scouts & GMs that know the players a heck of alot better than you or I were of the view that 30 guys projected out better.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
JNRhockeyGURU said:
What if a Meteor crashes into the earth killing millions of people? terrible things could happen, but chances arent good, so you can't worry about them! Besides if there is a Meteor heading to earth I'm sure Robbie would stop it with his awesomeness.

Only way Schremp is a Bust is if Bust stands for:
Beautiful
Unbelievable
Stickhandling
Talent

Disagree completely. Schremp has a lot of bust potential. To go along with his offensive talent comes laziness, inept defensive play, and an attitude. He can certainly round out all those areas, and I expect he will improve on them enough to be a good scoring centerman in the future....however it is very likely that he does not.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Enoch said:
Disagree completely. Schremp has a lot of bust potential. To go along with his offensive talent comes laziness, inept defensive play, and an attitude. He can certainly round out all those areas, and I expect he will improve on them enough to be a good scoring centerman in the future....however it is very likely that he does not.
So I guess Schremp would compare quite well with Radulov, who has been called lazy and one-dimensional quite often. There's no denying their offensive skill, though.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Seachd said:
So I guess Schremp would compare quite well with Radulov, who has been called lazy and one-dimensional quite often. There's no denying their offensive skill, though.

You need to read up on your scouting reports a bit more ;). I've never heard Radulov called lazy or one-dimensional, although I would agree that he has bust potential as well. I'm not downing Schremp, I just find it laughable that people disregard all the negatives around his game. He has to turn a lot around to become the 9 that some fans believe he is.

jlowry_19

Oct 17, 2004
i would take o'sullivan he has had so much more to deal with in his life and hockey career and battled through it to be a unreal hockey player, and schremp just continues to be cocky and wants everyone to know he is the best.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Enoch said:
You need to read up on your scouting reports a bit more ;). I've never heard Radulov called lazy or one-dimensional, although I would agree that he has bust potential as well. I'm not downing Schremp, I just find it laughable that people disregard all the negatives around his game. He has to turn a lot around to become the 9 that some fans believe he is.

I have a few quotes from scouting reports about Radulov if you'd like to see them. They mainly mention his inconsistency, uninspired play, and lack of defense.

The main negative in Schremp's game is defense. But I agree... when most people say he won't make the NHL, it's because of his "attitude", not his game. Then again, when you've got those skills, there's really no excuse not to make the NHL.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
O'Sullivan's played 8 games so far, including today's game....he has three 4 point games for a total of 20 points [6 goals (2 short handed goals, 1 pp goal) and 14 assists (7 pp assists). He has NO linemates to speak of.....so far, the nearest player on his team to his point total has NINE points. Patrick's also leading his team in plus/minus, with a + 7 . The guy had 4 (FOUR) Saginaw Spirit players on him at one time today and he STILL beat them all for an awesome assist on a goal.

Schremp is good. I'm not saying he isn't. But he's playing on an entirely different kind of team - with linemates who know the game and are offensive wizards in their own right.

I like Rob. I think his "issues" were a complete figment of most people's imaginations - he could play on my team any day and I'd be happy to have him. But, if I had to make a choice......there's no question - O'Sullivan, all the way.

Oiltalk

May 20, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
O'Sullivan's played 8 games so far, including today's game....he has three 4 point games for a total of 20 points [6 goals (2 short handed goals, 1 pp goal) and 14 assists (7 pp assists). He has NO linemates to speak of.....so far, the nearest player on his team to his point total has NINE points. Patrick's also leading his team in plus/minus, with a + 7 . The guy had 4 (FOUR) Saginaw Spirit players on him at one time today and he STILL beat them all for an awesome assist on a goal.

Schremp is good. I'm not saying he isn't. But he's playing on an entirely different kind of team - with linemates who know the game and are offensive wizards in their own right.

I like Rob. I think his "issues" were a complete figment of most people's imaginations - he could play on my team any day and I'd be happy to have him. But, if I had to make a choice......there's no question - O'Sullivan, all the way.
Due to the lack of talent surrounding him he probably gets a lot of ice time, and surely more than Schremp, who doesn't get as much ice time because of the other quality players on his team. He does get a lot of pp time which is good though.

Schremp definately has the higher upside, and if he is improving on the defensive side of things will be the better NHL player in the future, assuming they both have careers in the NHL. Then again I'm biased, but time will tell.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
But that might be a negative thing because coaches will basically concentrate on O'Sullivan if his teammates aren't that good. More ice times doesn't always amount to more scoring chances if you got 4 players covering you.

se7en*

I went back 100 pages or so - before the draft anyways - and most had Schremp in their top FIVE and now some of these same people are saying he's overrated.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Blind Gardien said:
I haven't seen Schremp yet this year, but if he follows O'Sullivan's lead over the next year or so in terms of rounding out his game (in areas like effort, consistency, and defense) then he'll be moving up in people's estimation similarly. O'Sullivan has come a long way in those areas. He was used in all situations and seemed to be on the ice for half the game against the Majors the other night. He was everywhere.

In terms of comparing their team situations, it's true that O'Sullivan isn't surrounded by as much of a star-studded cast as Schremp is. But then, at the same time, Schremp is not looked at as "The Man" in London, and probably isn't going to get 30 minutes of ice time and be out for practically every minute of every powerplay, the way O'Sullivan is. So it goes both ways.
Atleast O'Sullivan will be used to playing for a team with very little talent other than himself...He is going to Minnesota. I think he will fit in very well there and help out that offence starved team, who has only Gaborik, Bouchard, and maybe Dupuis at this point. Schremp on the other hand, will join the Oilers who play an up tempo style which will suit the creative hockey genius just fine. He is not incredibly fast, but his moves and skill level more than make up for it. If you can't skate fast enough to be ahead of the play, but can see the play unfolding, and be able to make things happen, I don't mind that at all.

Both will be very good players in the NHL and both have the type of games, and makeup to be superstars. I like Schremp chances a little bit better, because of where he will be playing, and the type of game the Oilers play.

As far as who will be the better player, that is tough, because you have to ask yourself what is the criteria to being the better player? O'Sullivan will be a much better 2 way player, but that won't necessarily reflect into high point totals. Just look at Gaborik, who has more skill in his pinky finger than 98% of the league and yet he can't showcase his talent in Minnesota because of the suffocating brand of hockey they choose to employ there. It is really to bad.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Hootchie Cootchie said:
I went back 100 pages or so - before the draft anyways - and most had Schremp in their top FIVE and now some of these same people are saying he's overrated.
We throw that word around on these boards like its going out of style. He was just drafted 3 months ago. What has he done since then, that would make you think less of him? He looked very impressive by all accounts in the prospects camp. I don't think anyone who has seen him play can say with any conviction that he didn't have top 5 skills going into that draft. Say what you will about his mental game, but I feel MacTavish and Lowe and the rest of the Oilers dressing room will help him figure it out, and he will prove that he should have been a top 5 selection. As they say, you can't teach skill, you either have it or you don't and Schremp has it to burn...the rest, being the desire, the heart, the team play, is atleast up to him to learn.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Enoch said:
By the same token, I feel rather than disregard his negatives, people don't realize how good his positives really are. Sure he is cocky, but that is not frowned upon in hockey circles last time I checked. Look at Kovalchuk, was he cocky? Damn right! But he backs it up, and he has also matured in the three seasons he has played. Which is precisely what Schremp needs...time to play, and mature and figure things out as he goes. I think he is worth the wait and so called risk involved. It would be naive to discount his shortcomings, but to not give him a chance to learn would be even moreso. I believe that Schremp will repay the Oilers ten times over. I am not a fan of the Oilers, I just like what Schremp brings to the table.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Enoch said:

Maybe it's you who need to check out the scouting reports?

From HF's Preds draft review:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7090

Radulov also needs to work on his defensive zone coverage as well as the mental part of the game.

From HF's article:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7055

Defensive Play: Not reliable defensively…doesn’t apply himself in his own zone…tends to cover his man, but constantly looks for an opportunity to go on the offensive

needs to improve his work ethic during practices.

From Q&A with Radulov:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=6914

HF: What aspect of your game do you feel you need to work most on?
AR: I need to improve my defensive game

From HF QMJHL Preview

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7198&mode=threaded&order=0

He will, however, definitely have to work on his defensive game if he is to succeed in this level

Every piece about Radulov pretty much says it all, lots of offense but needs to improve his defense a lot. Sounds pretty one-dimensional to me.

And here I thought you claimed to be well-informed about your prospects...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MePutPuckInNet said:

Good insights. I think O'Sullivan is doing everything he can to prove his detractors wrong, and I think Schremp is doing the same. I can't wait to see both of them on the U.S. WJC team this year!

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Pepper said:
Every piece about Radulov pretty much says it all, lots of offense but needs to improve his defense a lot. Sounds pretty one-dimensional to me.

And here I thought you claimed to be well-informed about your prospects...

I do know a lot about our prospects, and I try to keep up to date on them all the time. A lot of what I read said he played a very intense game on the ice, most of it in the offensive end. The main problem I saw was that he was a "hothead" in the Russian leagues, and that may be needed to be worked on. The articles I recalled at the time of my posting mentioned more about his good work ethic on the ice, rather than poor defense. Excuse me - Mistakes are made once in awhile. I took the "plays intense part/doesn't want to leave the ice part" for granted and assumed it meant he played hard period. As I said in most articles, it said that Radulov covers his man and works hard on the ice. Certainly that would be reason to post that he doesn't have as glaring defensive shortcomings as somone like Schremp???

However, the comment about reading up on the scouting reports....I read some that go one way, and some the other way. Certainly after looking at some other articles, I can understand Seachd's points, but we were pretty much on the same page anyways. Still, in regard to Schremp, I do not believe Radulov has nearly as big a problem defensively. This can change obviously, but in the context of the post....hopefully you can see where I was coming from. The scouting reports said he could work on his defensive game, like all prospects can, but it certainly didn't label him a one-dimensional, lazy, uncaring forward. That he covers his man and plays intense on the ice, are all good signs that he will be fine defensively. We don't know now if he will correct certain areas of his game, and this is why I said he has bust potential just like Schremp does.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Enoch said:
I do know a lot about our prospects, and I try to keep up to date on them all the time. A lot of what I read said he played a very intense game on the ice, most of it in the offensive end. The main problem I saw was that he was a "hothead" in the Russian leagues, and that may be needed to be worked on. The articles I recalled at the time of my posting mentioned more about his good work ethic on the ice, rather than poor defense. Excuse me - Mistakes are made once in awhile. I took the "plays intense part/doesn't want to leave the ice part" for granted and assumed it meant he played hard period. As I said in most articles, it said that Radulov covers his man and works hard on the ice. Certainly that would be reason to post that he doesn't have as glaring defensive shortcomings as somone like Schremp???

However, the comment about reading up on the scouting reports....I read some that go one way, and some the other way. Certainly after looking at some other articles, I can understand Seachd's points, but we were pretty much on the same page anyways. Still, in regard to Schremp, I do not believe Radulov has nearly as big a problem defensively. This can change obviously, but in the context of the post....hopefully you can see where I was coming from. The scouting reports said he could work on his defensive game, like all prospects can, but it certainly didn't label him a one-dimensional, lazy, uncaring forward. That he covers his man and plays intense on the ice, are all good signs that he will be fine defensively. We don't know now if he will correct certain areas of his game, and this is why I said he has bust potential just like Schremp does.

IMO, the only way Schremp won't be a success in the NHL is if his game doesn't translate, and I just don't see it. He'll show just enough defensive to not be an issue. I'm sure Radulov will be the same way.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
When a team is undefeated or has a very good record, everyone on that team has more points. When a team wins they score, 3,4,5 goals. When a team loses they score 0,1,2 goals. Let's wait until London loses a few games and is further into the season, then Schremp's point totals will be more realistic to his talent level. Schremp has been touted as a top end prospect for a very long time, some were saying for a long time that he would go 2nd in the draft, questions arose concerning his attitude when he transfered to the OHL in the first place because of problems on his US team, and then he further transfered to London from Mississagua. If Schremp and O'Sullivan were on the same line, they would probably be one of the top pairs in all of CHL, but Schremp decided to be the lone hero in another town.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Enoch said:
Certainly that would be reason to post that he doesn't have as glaring defensive shortcomings as somone like Schremp???

Well I kinda disagree with you there. I looked all articles about Radulov on HF and practically every one of them gave some kind of indication that Radulov does indeed have a problem with his defensive play. Yes, I guess you can make the conclusion based on that but it's kinda selective reading IMHO. I just haven't seen anything that would indicate that Schremp's defensive play is worse than Radulov's.

Enoch said:
This can change obviously, but in the context of the post....hopefully you can see where I was coming from.

Yes, I can see your point. I hope you also realize what my point was? Just because you're a fan of a certain team doesn't mean you know the prospects better than fans of other teams, maybe I was just little irritated by your attitude towards Seachd.

No biggie, both players have IMHO huge upside but also a good chance of becoming busts, Radulov might get frustrated with coaches benching/disciplining him for poor defensive play and take stupid penalties with his hotheaded attitude causing further problems with coaches, Schremp could frustrate himself & coaches with lack of expected production. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad