Prospect Info: Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves - Traded to Dallas

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How is it amazing, he wasn't a 7th round pick or something.

Here is why:

Meet Oskari Laaksonen, Buffalo's 3rd-round pick

If you were surprised to hear Oskari Laaksonen's name called during the third round of the NHL Draft in Chicago last month, you weren't alone. When Laaksonen received the text from his agent, he didn't even believe it was real.
"I was like, 'Oh my God, oh my God.' I ran to my mother. It was a special moment for me," Laaksonen recalled from development camp at HarborCenter on Sunday.
The public and the media didn't know much about Laaksonen at the time of his selection, mostly because there wasn't all that much information available. He wasn't listed on any pre-Draft rankings, not even the on list produced by NHL Central Scouting Services.
In fact, he was listed as weighing only 130 pounds on most sites, forcing him to have to field questions about his weight online (he actually weighs 152 and stands just a tad below six feet tall).

He was an extremely under the radar pick and people were wondering why the Sabres took a kid that wasn't on Central Scouting's list at all in the 3rd round.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Botts seems to love his off the board Nordic picks in the middle rounds. This kid intrigues me a lot. Kudos to the scouting department for finding this kid. He’s interesting.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Botts seems to love his off the board Nordic picks in the middle rounds. This kid intrigues me a lot. Kudos to the scouting department for finding this kid. He’s interesting.

If nothing else, it shows his trust in his Northern European scouting staff. Heck this draft was all about that part of his staff, Numminen in particular. Who’d a thought Danny Briere talking Teppo into signing in Buffalo almost 15 years ago might still be paying dividends for this team down the line. I don’t think there’s anyway that Teemu would have signed to scout with the team if his brother hadn't already played here.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Very very encouraging to see him continue to make progress and seemingly turning into something. Exciting stuff considering no one knew who he was a year ago.

Reactions: Chainshot

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
If nothing else, it shows his trust in his Northern European scouting staff. Heck this draft was all about that part of his staff, Numminen in particular. Who’d a thought Danny Briere talking Teppo into signing in Buffalo almost 15 years ago might still be paying dividends for this team down the line. I don’t think there’s anyway that Teemu would have signed to scout with the team if his brother hadn't already played here.
If EliteProspects is correct on when Teemu started with Buffalo, Teppo was an assistant coach at the time.

Reactions: Chainshot

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
Yeah, it's almost the same thing right? :thumbu:

See the problem is context. The players themselves are not the same in any way shape or form.

However the logic you used to dismiss Laaksonen is the same as what Gabrielor stated. "I will praise them when he makes it to an actual NHL player. Way too early ot be giving out praises"

Therefore your logic is Player makes it to NHL, you will give praise.

Neither Laaksonen nor Dahlin have made it to the NHL as of this post, so neither deserve praise by yourlogic.... its quite simple.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I have not been as hyped for a D prospect since Vyacheslav Buravchikov. Get him to Rochester already!
Nah, let him explode on the WJC scene in late December so we can have a full slate of panicked “will he or won’t he sign” posts before he inks his deal. Per tradition.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Anybody watch him tonight against Canada?

I did. I liked what I saw at last year's development camp, could see what excited the Sabres European scout about him and why they took him in the 3rd round when he wasn't even ranked by Central Scouting. The first thing that I noticed about him last night is he's filled out considerably. He is a beautiful skater, mobile and with good acceleration. Likes to jump up into the offense. Good passer, a lot of zip and accurate. Gets shots from the point on net, like a football quarterback takes something off the ball/puck when that's what's called for. He's the PP1 quarterback and the dman in their 3 vs 3 overtime first unit. Game went to OT, he had a glorious chance to win the game in the dying moments of regulation but fanned on the shot. He wasn't perfect, he took 2 penalties and I think Canada scored on the PP both times, one for sure. He was the dman on the ice when Canada scored the OT winner but the goal wasn't his fault.

He looks like a late 1st round talent to me, reminds me quite a bit of Guhle.

Getting excited about the future blueline we're putting together - Dahlin, Ristolainen, Guhle, Samuelsson, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Bryson

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I did. I liked what I saw at last year's development camp, could see what excited the Sabres European scout about him and why they took him in the 3rd round when he wasn't even ranked by Central Scouting. The first thing that I noticed about him last night is he's filled out considerably. He is a beautiful skater, mobile and with good acceleration. Likes to jump up into the offense. Good passer, a lot of zip and accurate. Gets shots from the point on net, like a football quarterback takes something off the ball/puck when that's what's called for. He's the PP1 quarterback and the dman in their 3 vs 3 overtime first unit. Game went to OT, he had a glorious chance to win the game in the dying moments of regulation but fanned on the shot. He wasn't perfect, he took 2 penalties and I think Canada scored on the PP both times, one for sure. He was the dman on the ice when Canada scored the OT winner but the goal wasn't his fault.

Getting excited about the future blueline we're putting together - Dahlin, Ristolainen, Guhle, Samuelsson, Borgen, Fitzgerald, Bryson

I watched. Laaksonen is going to be a steal. Kid is pretty good.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006

I watched and agree he showed a lot of promise.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Listened to Baker and Pronman on the instigators discuss Laaksonen. Sounds like he's set to be top pair dman in Liiga this year. We may be looking at him with the same twinkle in our eye that we had for Guhle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad